Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How cold is too cold for walks? By the time I get home this evening and I am ready to walk Ben it will be around
-20C where we live. It has never been this cold since we have had him. He has a light coat I could put on him but I am more worried about his bare paws onthe ground.

We usually walk about 45 minutes in the evening. I think it will be too cold and windy for that. Should we do a few shorter walks? Would that make a difference?

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I've been wondering the same thing. It is unbelieveable out there! I took them out this morning and was outside for under five minutes and I could barely stand it. I was bundled up and my face was burning! Roscoe started lifting his paws and was trying to get closer to me and he just looked at me like please lets go inside! So we did and I don't know if we should go on our usual walks! Today is the worst it has been for us so far.

Reactions: RetSol13

·
Registered
230 Posts
Last night, at -10F, Lucy and Flora were bounding around in the snow, looking for bunnies that eat and hide under our bushes. They refuse to wear coats and booties; I've tried, but they don't like them. I have noticed they do seem to hear the door open more easily than they do in the summer! Lucy barks to get back in, so I let them out, and wait till they ask to come in.

As for walks, I've always just watched how they act. All walks start with high excitement. In cold weather, the point where excited changes to happy is the half-way point in the walk. Then we arrive home before cold and miserable sets in.

·
Registered
320 Posts
silleb!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I didn't see you post anything before, but you live in Burlington???? I live in Mississauga, but my boyfriend lives in Burlington and that's where Zelda lives!!! Perhaps we've seen each other before?? I've seen a few other beagles around town.

Zelda doesn't get too many walks in this weather... mostly because WE are the ones that are too cold for it. She will get a walk or two on the weekend, but that's usually it. She gets to run around in the backyard and play in the snow when she goes on her potty breaks and I chase her around the basement for some exercise as well.

We did take her for a long walk around Kern's Cliff not too long ago, and she was only wearing a sweater... but she didn't seem bothered by the cold at all.

Also, this is off topic, but you mentioned it has never been this cold since you got him... so I would assume he isn't a year old yet, just like Zelda. Maybe they are long lost siblings!!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I let Chloe decide. When it's too cold for her (even all dressed up with a good coat), she will do her business very very quickly, usually still within the perimeters of the building yard, and pull me back in.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Diana!

I do live in Burlington. What neighbourhood does your BF live in? We haven't met any beagles called Zelda yet, but there are a few in our area.

We take Ben to Kerncliff Park on the weekends sometimes for a good long walk and we pratice recall training. We let him off the leash and he is generally really good at staying close by.

Ben will actually be three this July. We didn't get him until he was 8 months old, so we missed the first winter and I just don't think that last winter was this cold.

Back on topic...I guess I will just try bundling myself up and selecting a route where I can get back quickly if he gets too cold.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey I don't live too far from you two either! I'm in Milton/Acton.

I have 2 beagles, Snoopy and Squeeker, that would love to play with your beagles

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
-20 is about the coldest temp I take Caesar out in and it's a short walk. I know when his paws are cold because he starts to lift them when standing still and he won't let me put booties on him. When it's -30 or colder he only goes out long to do his business and then I call him in. But he loves the snow!

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm assuming our Canadian friends are posting Celsius temperatures? -20C = -4F so it's bitterly cold either way!

I didn't take Oreo out this morning because it was 8F (-13C) moreso because I just didn't want to go out. I've resolved that if it's at least 20F, I'll take him out for a quick walk around the neighborhood (15min). But Pittsburgh is due for a few days of single digit (F) temperatures so he may not get out for a couple days.

(Yay I'm a Little Yapper!)

·
Registered
72 Posts
It is really cold here in NY and getting colder. I let Buddy out in my backyard this morning. He usually like to run around for 20 minutes right after he gets up, but this morning he was back inside within 2 minutes.

·
Registered
103 Posts
If it is bearable for me with a jacket on, they seem fine. Eating snow and acting like loon's. If it is unbearable for me in a jacket, they go out, do their deed immediately and come back in for a treat.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
It's in the 50's (Farenheit) here tonight, the low will be into the 40's, and I think it's too cold for a walk. I think I'd die if the temp was -4!

·
Registered
959 Posts
It has been -35 here in the Dakotas, so the boys have run outside and done their duties (if that sometimes) and run back in. Cobi has a heavier coat, but poor Casie ( even being from Minnesota) is shivering when they go out. So now walkies here for awhile. Id love to be able to afford a treadmill, but with my luck, they'd figure a way to make it not work....little dickens!

Cathy

·
Registered
366 Posts
I go by my beagle weather indicator. I put Winston out first thing in the AM. If he stays out more than 5 minutes, and plays in the snow, it's warm enough for at least a short walk. If he pees and wants back in right away, we walk to the end of the block and back. If he bangs on the door again before he even pees, it's not fit for man nor beast. If he comes back with snow on his back, it's snowing and we have to wait for everyone on the block to shovel anyway so we watch the neighbors shovel from the window.
When the weather is as cold and stupid as it gets in Alberta, you have to learn to improvise.

·
Premium Member
1,573 Posts
Originally Posted By: jen-n-jerseyIt's in the 50's (Farenheit) here tonight, the low will be into the 40's, and I think it's too cold for a walk. I think I'd die if the temp was -4!
!! i wish i lived in florida the weather oh what i wouldn't give for weather like that!! To us here in RI when its in the 40's in the spring people are in shorts, thats usually a pretty decent day we have extreme weather its either bitterly cold or 100 degrees there is no happy medium. Tommorrow alot of the public schools and universities are closed because its too cold for kids to be out in the cold yet ted wanted to be out all today. My Teddy doesn't seem to care tho, its too coldfor a walk but i let him run out in the yard as much as he likes he usually lets me know when he's too cold. Its 17F here currently.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
The coldest we get it here is about minus 30 C. At the moment its around minus 12 which doesnt worry the hounds at all.

·
Registered
786 Posts
It was snowing like crazy this morning and my older dog **** doesn't think twice about going out, but I have the two girls and they stick there head out the door and run away. Now I have to raise my voice to tell them to go out and once they get near the door I have to drag them out. (its also a game to them)

For the next few mornings it suppose to get to be -10F here which I'll have to keep and eye on them and put sweaters on.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Beags, are READY ANYTIME & Anyplace for a walk! Heck, My
little Jethro became potty trained just in time before
our worst winter of all time hit!!! Goober was still a pup when the 1992/93 blizzard hit & he & Duke took that disaster in stride! Btw, JETHRO has very large feet & might
grow to be an oversized Beag like Goober was! Both of
them were born on the Idaho palouse & have a very high
tolerance to cold temps like I do!

·
Premium Member
2,104 Posts
Murphy and Gatsby (a JRT stray that I'm fostering) go out and back in pretty quick. Smitty said today he would try a walk around the pasture. We'll see
Murphy thinks she can handle it, but, then all of a sudden she's done. Gatsby is just a big baby. All he wants to do is sit on the sofa.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I got nothing for ya on this one. Vinny and Mles cringe when it goes below 40 dgrees F.
Seriously though Beagles are built and made for work in the cold, but not for sustaining life in the cold. At the temps you guys are talking about, if it is dangerous for humans, I would use that to curtail Beagle activity in the same weather.

Must go now. Must begin covering up my Palm trees and Hibiscus trees for tonights big chill here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts