Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After suffering with chronic anal gland problems, Maggie had her glands removed earlier this year (and has gotten fat and sassy since then :mad:)

Amazingly, Calvin has been sick with tonsillitis (wouldn't even swallow soft food easily) and it was discovered his anal glands were infected.
My vet said....that's a third-year vet student question he often asks his interns. If you see tonsillitis in a dog, what other part of the anatomy do you automatically check? THE ANAL GLANDS!

Anyone else ever hear of this? I learn something new every time I go to the vet

·
Registered
366 Posts
I know nothing about canine anatomy beyond where the head starts and the tail ends, however, I am curious too. I hope maybe someone out there can enlighten us, but I think perhaps it could be one of these possibilities.
1. the anal glands actually get infected first, thus pooch licks himself spreading the infection to the tonsils. We don't see licking themselves as out of the ordinary, but not eating, well, that's something to be concerned about, therefore, we don't catch the problem until it has spread.
2. the tonsils are part of the lymphatic system and I think the anal glands could be too, thus the tonsilitis could actually be an infection of the whole system.
3. tonsilitis results in change or lack of diet, which changes or reduces elimination, which therefore affects the anal glands.

Or I could be way out to lunch here and should stop thinking so hard.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
No, but it IS interesting! My little Chloe had abcessed anal glands several times - the treatment for the abcessed glands was so hard on her and so painful that we finally decided to remove them to solve the problem. She's been fine ever since. I'll have to ask my vet about that when I see him, though.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Like you, I wasn't aware that dogs had tonsils - tho my vet always says dogs can get anything that humans can. I have to admit that not having a sense of smell makes it a little easier for me to deal with anal problems. Chloe got very sick when she had abcessed glands, so I knew she had a problem.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
It is very frustrating MOST of the time
. It was very strange, I had always been extremely sensitive to odors - especially perfumes, candles, things like that - some actually made me physically ill. When my mom was in the hospital just before she died, I had a BAD allergy attack - the worst I'd ever had. I coughed and coughed and coughed - the respiratory therapist came in one night and pushed me down in a chair and gave me a breathing treatment to shut me up. The doctors were bringing me samples of codeine cough medicine (I was staying at the hospital with my moom). After she died and I went home - to a more normal life, I decided to continue with the plans we'd had for re-doing the kitchen - we had purchased all the material already and had our contractor ready to go, so I went ahead with it. While he was working on the kitchen I was painting the paneling in my bedroom - with primer. The contractor was on the main floor - I was upstairs, and he kept complaining about how STRONG the primer was. I thought it was funny, it didn't bother me. After he and the plumber left, and I was trying to clean some plumber's putty off the floor, I poured straight ammonia on it after trying everything else. I couldn't smell the ammonia. That's when I realized I had LOST my sense of smell. That was almost 9 years ago, I can sometimes get a whiff of something really strong - like straight bleach or strong cleaners, but really can't smell anything else. If the house was on fire I'd have to rely on the beagle brats to tell me - I couldn't smell the smoke. But you're right, I can't tell if the dogs are gassy (when my daughter and her husband lived with me they were always complaining about their dog being gassy - but you couldn't prove it by me). Guess there are some advantages??

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sonja,

I think your analysis may be right on target! The day Cal was at the vet for his glands, I also had both cats in for their immunizations and Maggie in for a nail trim.....so I didn't stick around to ask too many questions (CHAOS!!)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts