Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone. im getting probably a three month old beagle, what to expect for? will it be toilet trained? if not how long do you think it will take if i train her?
thanks

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Abby was three months when I got her. She was kept outside so was not house trained when we got her.

As for how long it took us...I don't really remember which is good because if it was a terribly difficult experience I would remember :lol2:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You pup probably won't be potty trained when you get her. She may be on the right direction, but personally I have never heard of a 3 month old puppy (all breeds) that was housebroken.
If you crate train her, I can probably guess that in 3 months she will be fine. Remember that their bladders are tiny and they can't hold it for long.
I was told the rule of thumb is their age in months + 1 = number of hours they can/should be able to hold it.
Don't be discouraged though, you will love every minute of it!!!

·
Registered
448 Posts
Yeah a new puppy!! THat is always exciting.
My little Betty Boop just turned 4 months this weekend and she is 'pretty much' potty trained. All my beags have a pretty good schedule so its really only if I am totally off on the schedule that accidents happen, or if one is not feeling well.
Truthfully when I have potty trained any of them, like I said, my big belief is schedule. I am not much for crate training. But they know when Mom gets up in the morning then it is time to go right outside. Now, when they are real little, I can't even let their feet hit the floor in the morning or they just squat and pee, so I pick her up sometimes and just head right for the door and scootch her out, while I get the bigger beags on leashes. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Works for me! Then they come in for the afternoon a little bit, back out onto leads in the yard for a while so they can run around the grass, then back out again towards bedtime for that last time pee before bed! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Judi and the crew

·
Registered
614 Posts
Also when they get sick, your schedule changes, don't be discouraged by it. So far since Dixie diarrhea spell she hasn't been going too well, and last night we had a poopy accident in the crate.

Hopefully tonight goes better, but i think she is constipated today. either way we will be getting up every 2 hrs tonight to go outside.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thank you very much.
so what i understood is if my puppy is 2 and a half months old i need to take her out about every 3-4 hours. and after a while she will get used to it and be toilet trained.
:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I think I took Maggie out every hour when we first got her and then gradually extended the time when I had a better idea how often she really needed to got out.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by doronkoll:
thank you very much.
so what i understood is if my puppy is 2 and a half months old i need to take her out about every 3-4 hours. and after a while she will get used to it and be toilet trained.
:rolleyes:
well it's not a set time or anything, you just have to learn your dog's trait. they give hints when they are fixing to go potty.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I wished my dogs would be toilet trained, though it might be a bit messy!
:doh:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts