Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!!!

I'm looking for advice, our beagle Dexter is really struggling with toilet training.

At the minute we are:
- Using puppy pads which we place by the front door
- Ignoring him when he goes to the toilet in the wrong areas
- Giving him lots of praise when he goes on the puppy pads

Sometimes I think we've cracked it as he does sometimes go to the puppy pad but then half an hour later he will wee in the middle of the carpet. Please help!!!! :confused:

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
OMG ...where do I start...
Get rid of the pads and take your dog out to the place where you want to go pee/poop ON A LEASH . When the dog does his business click a clicker and praise big time.
DON'T allow a puppy to be on carpets or furniture. A puppy doesn't know nor to pee or poop on it. Keep your dog in a restricted area using baby gates. Take your dog out frequently for potty. Also use a crate to potty train.

·
Registered
17 Posts
As Cassie said, please stop using the pads. It just confuses the dog. When we adopted our beagle-mix, Penny, as a puppy, we used pads, because we were in over our heads! Eventually, we had the same problem as you. We actually have not potty trained her 100% yet (shame), but we made great progress when we stopped using pads.

I am no expert in the matter, but I believe consistency and vigilance are key. Penny seems to have a bladder the size of a, penny (pun intended). It really comes down to us needing to take her our on a leash every 45-90 minutes. If we don't, she will pee on a rug or mat. I believe we inadvertently trained her to pee on rugs by using the pads!

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
I completely agree with the others. Lose the pads! Ultimately you want your pup to potty outside, so don't train him to potty inside.

Crate train your pup. When he is not in the crate, confine him to a small confined area, with tile floor. Use a baby gate or exercise pen. My pups were confined to the kitchen or crate until completely housebroken - period. No furniture. No all over the house. No carpet. Just the kitchen.

Be sure to clean up any 'mistakes' with a good enzymatic cleaner. It will eliminate the odor of urine and feces to prevent him from going in the same place again.

Do not ignore him, when he pees in the wrong place. Don't yell at him either. Make a sound or say something to get his attention, like - No,no or Uh-Oh!. Immediately scoop him up and take him outside. Put him in the grass and say, "GOOOOOD BOY!" Do this, even if he doesn't have to go any more.

Take your pup out every hour or so, on leash. Walk him to the area you have designated as the potty area. When he goes, praise, praise, praise. I use the terms, "Go potty" and "Hurry up". I say these things every time and they know what I mean. Potty time is not play time, or cuddle time. It is potty time. Keep him on the leash outside reminding him to potty. If he doesn't potty, go back inside and put him in the crate. Take him back out in another 15 minutes, until he goes. Repeat and repeat and repeat. It is important to be vigilant.

·
Super Moderator
5,230 Posts
I agree 100% with the others with their tips. Also, be sure to clean any accident areas and the area you had the pads with special cleaner for pet urine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts