Our Beagle World Forums banner

Toilet training advice

982 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  gemmie.b 
#1 ·
We have had our beagle for aound 8 months and he spent his first 3 in a kennel so wasn't toilet trained when got him. After a slow start we used a reward based tactic to start him getting going where he should be going and when we are in he is good probably 99 times out of 100. The touble we have is when we go out to work. he gets a small walk and a couple of trips to the garden then is left for about 5-6 hours. His goodness ratio then drops down to about 20 times out of 100 and I am at a loss at what to do. Does he simply need a longer walk in the morning or someone coming home or has a got a habit, as he pee's in the same place near enough. I use washing powder to clean the area aswell. Any advice would be very welcome

#2 ·
Chloe is that way too. I found that walking her for 45 minutes (power walk) in the mornings helps a lot (although doesn't eliminate is completely).

I link the peeing in that same spot (with Chloe it's right by the door) to a separation anxiety, which she clearly has. She is not crate trained, which was my fault.

How about crating when you're not home? if yours is crate trained, I would go with that. Heck if Chloe were to stay in her crate without me around for more than a minute without sounding as if she's being murdered, I would do it too!

#3 ·
He is the same in his crate, absolutly hates it. He gets left 5 days a week and has been since we had him. He's asleep most times when i get home and the neighbours reckon they never hear him playing up so not sure if he stressed or not. He is much more happier when we are around though.

#5 ·
We've had the exact same problem with our beagle Homer!! It's taken a heck of a lot of patience to try to train him and he's still not fully there!! We're at the stage now where he's no prob at all while we're in the house but if we're at work or during the night, he'll go in the kitchen, and generally in the same spot.

We've began to put him out the back while we're at work, he has a lovely kennel and a big run. He rarely has any accidents indoors now!! But unfortunatly.....the night-time story is much different. I think he just cant hold it for the night. He is getting better but not fully there!

If you have any success with your pup please let me know and i'll do the same!! Hopefully his bladder will get stronger! LOL

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.