Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone.
earlier today i wanted to write about that, that pita cant tell us when she wants to go potty, and it is very fustraiting us! and then i said that i will wait a little, but know there is another problem, it is 20:00 and i took pita out for a walk, we walked and after a couple of minutes she peed, i was very happy and we kept on going. we walked and turned around and played and stayed outside for 25 minutes and i saw she didnt do anything! so we came back home, guess what she did when we arrived? she ran to the kitchen to the place with the newspapers, where she sometimes pees and pooped, and that was really annoying!!! i need a really good way to make her stop with that! we are moving to a different house in 2 months and we really need her to be toilet trained before that. please help me! thank you Doron

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Why do you have newspaper? Is it there for her to do business? If you train her with newspaper, then newspaper it will be forever. The strong gasoline smell will attracts her back to it.
Next time when she soils the paper, try taking the soiled paper to where you want her to pee, that might help. Don't forget to praise her!
Potty training takes time.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Rhoda, I was sure you will mention the bell.
Doron, there is a way to teach Pita to "tell" you when she needs to go. Place a bell near the door (at her height) and everytime you take her out, ring the bell before you leave (even take her paw and ring it). She will learn to associate ringing the bell with going out, then she will ring the bell to let you know she needs to go potty.... G-Luck!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
She'll also ring it to tell you she wants to go out to play, but ringing it often is better than all the accidents in the house. The best way to deal with that is simply to go out with her, give her a few minutes to do her business then bring her back in. She'll learn it is to be rung for potty breaks and not play time.

You can purchase long toys that have bells on the end in the parrot section of your pet store. That is what we used to train Sam and he had it figured out very quickly.

·
Registered
751 Posts
right, if you trained or let her go inside on the paper, which a lot of people do, it will take her time to understand to not do it any longer. Wish I had the magical answer to tell you.

But yes, I would try to bell, we use it with Marley. I picked up a doorhanger that has a bell on it. It's a Christmas decoration but who cares, works fine for us.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts