Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Im new to the board. I have an 11 month old Beagle called Mowgli. Hes a fairly well behaved dog but he has his moments!

I dont know if this is the right room to post this but I need help regarding his toilet habits. He has got into the habit of going to the toilet every hour. He scratches at the door to go out continually until I let him out. I know he can hold it longer he just chooses not to. If I dont let him when he wants he just does it on the floor. He only urinates on the floor if I dont let him out in time. He hasnt done a poo on the floor since he was very little. As you can imagine getting up to let him out every hour is quite frustrating especially as its really hard to get him back in again. I want to get into a routine with him where I take him out at certain times rather than on demand but I dont know where to start as he just goes on the floor if I ignore his scratching.

Its not a health problem as I have had him checked by the vet. I walk him every day at 3pm or 4pm for an hour.

Please help! I have had dogs in the past but Beagles are in a league of their own and I need expert advice!

·
Registered
959 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of beagles! He may have an immature bladder that needs to go out at those times he signals you. He may want your attention at that time, it's hard to tell.
But, from having three little beagles, it's worth letting them out on demand for awhile until they are fully matured. How long does he get to wait inbetween visits outside if you don't let him out when he wants to go? That may be part of the problem is that it's just too long for him to wait. Beagles, don't always follow OUR schedules, and to force him might be too soon at 11 months.
Casie is 15 months and has an immature bladder needs to go out once an hour...and we do it, just because we want him house broke before he is two. I heard it said once by a dog trainer that beagles train us, we don't train them...maybe this is one of those times.

Good luck
Cathy J

·
Registered
847 Posts
We're kinda in the same boat. Although our pup is only 5 months. When he's in the house we tend to be proactive and take him out every hour or two regardless of what he wants. Or if he starts sniffing around looking suspicious we'll take him out. He'll get one last potty break at around 10:30 pm and he holds it all night. In fact, in the mornings he doesn't want to get up and go outside.

But even when we take him out frequently he will occasionally pee in the house. I'm not sure if it behavioral, physical or perhaps a brain fart. Fortunately those times are the except and not the norm.

Does Mowgli hold it all night? And do you regulate his water?

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Water regulation is sometimes a must when you're potty training a beagle. My Maggie is also 11 months, and we're still working on potty issues, but water regulation has helped with her night time control.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
At least he is asking to go out, I wouldnt refuse him at this age. Walks are essential. Ours go out at 7am, into the garden and after breakfast they go for an hours walk. During the day they go out to the garden about six times, but not sure how often they pee etc. Then another long walk before bed, as well as in the afternoon. It took us 2 years to get Susi housetrained, she came to us aged 6.
Mowgli is still young but its great that hes learnt to ask to go out. Good luck, he'll eventually be clean and sleep through the night.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks. He does sleep through the night. He loves to sleep till lunch time and it holds it in all night. I guess I just have to be more patient as he is still a baby. Sometimes I think hes tricking me to go outside and dig holes!

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke acts like he has to go potty when he really just wants outside to get into things. He will come inside, then head back to the door 15 min. later and we know it's not because he has to potty. Violet is the opposite and can hold it forever!

If your Mowgli just wants out to play, then maybe he's bored and a good game of fetch would satisfy him.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts