Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Literally! Today the girls have been taken to the vet for desexing after nearly not making it!

Yesterday they both had a reaction to some brisket bones I gave them. Sally just not feeling well and Leia vomiting. After a quick trip to the vet and a call to grandma (my mum) to look after them, Leia's anti vomit needle did the trick. They slept it off all yesterday and last night and were as spritly as normal this morning.

The vet was going to do the pre-op blood work to check their blood/sugar levels as they hadn't eaten since Wednesday night and he didn't want to run the risk of them reacting to elective surgery if we could just put it off until they were 100%. But the blood tests were going to say whether they were 100% and no call yet to say it's not going ahead, so I guess they were okay!

So, fingers crossed for the girls! We decided to go the drip and pre-op blood work because I couldn't live with myself if they didn't have it and something happen just so we could save $100! Expensive vet bill coming up tonight, but at least (hopefully!) they'll be okay.

Lots of careful tummy rubs and cuddles coming their way tonight /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

(... Erin)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Only another 1hr and 35 minutes till I can ring /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

I don't want to see too obsessed! They didn't ring to say the blood work wasn't normal, so I guess they were right to have their op.

(... Erin)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well it didn't go as planned, they did Sally and apparently she's recovering well.

Leia on the other hand didn't get to her operation as she had a bought of diahorrea from yesterdays dramas. She was apparently all preped to go in and when they went to get her, she'd had an explosion shall we say. The vet didn't want to go ahead as he feared infection in open wounds and the like. So unfortunately now we have to go through two recovery periods and have to leave Sally at home next Friday alone while Leia goes back in for another try.

Poor little munchkin, it all seems to happen to her Things happen for a reason.. so one day I might know the reason

He said that Leia will probably still be feeling a little off tomorrow so having them interact tomorrow shouldn't be a problem. If she does try to play, I'm to get her a sedative to quieten her down.

I've asked Andrew to have a day off next friday to be with Sally all day as they have never been seperated since birth and I'm afraid Sally will try her damned hardest to escape and try and find Leia.

Didn't go to plan, but I still have my two beautiful babies and that makes me happy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Now I just have to go through all this again NEXT friday /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

(... Erin)

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Sorry that things didn't go quite to plan but eveything will work out OK in the end. It's amazing just how well they cope with being spayed. It's an operation that would have us laid up in bed for weeks but for them they are back to normal in a few days /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Prayers to both girls. What a week for mum!

Add a gentle kiss from Maggie and Calvin; I hope your weekend is uneventful :heart:

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the girls are home and both are a bit worse for wear. Sally's feeling very sore, but still managed to get a cuddle, roll on her back to get tummy rubs and give mummy a kiss, so it's nice to know she still loves me /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Leia still had diahorrea. Probably kinda our fault seeming we came home and she was looking EVERYWHERE for food, and instead of her finding something in the yard, we gave her a little bit of dry food. But we both thought this would be better than her eating poo or finding something else in the back yard.

We've got lots of sedatives for them both to keep them quiet tomorrow. I'm hoping for a big improvement over night by Sally.

I can't believe I had to go through this all again next week!

(... Erin)

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Well I'm glad Sally's surgery went well. I hope Leia gets to feeling better and her surgery goes well too. Give Sally & Leia lots of love from me & Lucky!

Jenn & Lucky

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
So glad Sally's surgery went well, and hope Leia is feeling better by now. I'm sure her surgery will go fine next week too. Both your girls are so pretty!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Sorry you'll have to go through this again next week, but I'm sure it's best that Leia didn't have the surgery since she isn't up to par. Give both easy tummy rubs from me.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Well, I'm glad that things went well with Sally's surgery. I'm sorry that Leia didn't get to have hers and you'll have to go through this again! It's going to be hard keeping them apart so they can heal individually. Good luck! Gentle hugs and Beagle kisses to the girls!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Poor babies!! Sounds like Sally might be feeling chipper faster than Leia ... did vet mention giving Leia just plain white rice until her tummy settles down? Usual routine is absolutely no food for 24 hours, then plain white rice for a day or two and then plain chicken added to the rice (and chicken broth to entice if needed).

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry for taking so long to reply, we had a pretty full on weekend of shopping and birthday parties /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Sally has bounced back really well and Leia seems to have settled with her diahorrea. We gave them the sedatives on saturday morning, only to find out that one tablet was WAY too much and it totally knocked them out. Won't be doing that again! Poor little girls couldnt even walk straight.

I'm a bit concerned about Sally's scar tonight though.. she came up for a cuddle and tummy rubs and I felt a hardish patch underneath the skin on one side of the scar. Could this just be scar tissue from the operation? I hope so, it's scaring me /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

judymaggie: the Vet just told us not to feed them Friday night and give them a normal meal Saturday morning. Leia was going nuts, she just wanted food. So we ended up giving her a little handful, we thought it would be better for her to eat some of her real food then find something in the backyard that may be the issue in the first place for making them sick.

So now I'm just concerned about Sally's scar /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I might ring the vet first thing in the morning to question it. I'm just hoping she hasn't strained or pulled it and there's something wrong.

(... Erin)

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, unfortunately here it was a public holiday today so no vets were open, and especially not now at 10pm at night.

I'll be phoning the vet that did the surgery first thing in the morning to ask the question. As you say, it's after surgery so better to the safe than sorry if it is something a bit serious.

Someone on an australian forum mentioned that it could just be where the sutures and tissue were knoted inside as they have to be tied off somehow, which is a good explaination.

(... Erin)

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Another thought is that it might be some swelling from the surgery and/or sutures. You could apply a warm compress and see if that helps -- just give her a belly rub with one hand and hold the compress with the other.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Erin, I remember Jersey having a couple of small lumps along the incision where she was spayed. I would still give the vets office a call just to be safe though.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I phoned them this morning and she advised that it's most likely the scar tissue and where the sutures are inside of her. She said if it's enormously swelling and pussing and red to bring her in as she might have a reaction to the stitches, but if it's just a little swelling and the scar seems fine, not to worry it's normal.

Phew! It's like having your first child and not knowing the "normal" things that happen with a child. They are going to think I'm the most over protective mother out there! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Thanks for everyones input.

(... Erin)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts