Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just adopted a two plus year old beagle. He is as cute as can be and beagle-stubborn and smart. He joined our family days before we lost our sweet Riley (7) to leukemia. He now keeps Miss Sadie (10) company.

He came house trained and learning sit, stay, come, etc. Leash walking seems to be my biggest challenge so far:)

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Welcome !!! Way to go adopting a adult beagle !! Make sure you post some pictures.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hello this is my Toby! 😊 I have some questions. I'm from Serbia, so sorry about my English. I really need help.
my Toby is 9months age, he never stop biting me. He bits me very agressive now. Can somebody help me about that? Thank you

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Hi welcome. He should be over the biting phase at his age. Can you get him in a dog training class? Try a few of these things:

1. Hand feed him..put the food in your hands cupped together. He will eat and bond to you and wont bite your hands.. do this for every meal for the next 2 weeks.. then once a day for another week.
2. Keep his area in your house restricted so he doesn't think he owns the place.
3. In the house keep a leash on him ..it makes them think they're controlled. If he starts getting nippy you can grab the leash.
4. Watch YouTube training videos and get your dog to focus on your commands.
5. When he starts to bite.. say "NO" or "OUTCH" and leave him in his area.. beagles dont like to be alone so hopefully he'll learn that biting doesnt get him what he wants.
4. Talk to your dog a lot saying the same words so he gets to know what you want.
5. When he follows a command.. say "GOOD BOY" and give a tiny treat.
6. Dont sit on the floor and play with your dog or he will see you as an equal and bite.

Let us know how this works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
First, I am very grateful for the answer. I have tried many of the ways you have listed, but to no avail. I will try all this together and after that I will let you know how we are progressing. Thanks again 🙏🏼😊

·
Registered
6,129 Posts
Doing all the things I already described.. cassie will be 9yrs old this month.
One more thought...
Where does your dog sleep? Cassie sleeps in her crate..i dont even have to close the door anymore. She goes in and sleeps..

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a big yard, Toby has his own house and box. He spends most of the day with me and my family, he is alone when it's time for bed. Since it is cold and snowing in Serbia now, he is with us in the house during the day, but he always sleeps in his house

1 - 10 of 10 Posts