Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toby and Lucky were in the utility room yesterday morning for a couple of hours while a bunch of toddlers played at our house. Lucky had gotten up on the top of the dryer and pushed off some things to play with. I am almost certain there was nothing with liquid/chemicals. I found a chewed up dog collar and a chewed up empty ziploc bag. Well, Toby was drooling and foaming just a tad, with his jowels looking a little off. When I would wipe the drool, it was a tad pink. I figured he cut his mouth. I searched his mouth, but find nothing. He is eating, pooping, peeing all fine. He even drank quite a bit of water this morning. There is no more pink in his drool this morning. I can tell he doesn't feel good and his breathing is a tad shallow, but he's not struggling to breathe or anything. He rests a lot, doesn't seem to be in pain, but is more lethargic than his usual beagly personality. Do you see any harm letting him go the weekend before going to the vet? I don't want to harm him in any way waiting it out a bit, I'm just not sure if this is warranting a trip to the vet?

I have searched and searched and can't come up with anything poisonous that they got into and he doesn't seem to be trying to throw anything up. WWYD????

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
As we have said recently, things always seem to happen on the weekends so ... I would definitely recommend a call to the vet at a minimum. Hopefully, you have a vet who has Saturday hours and is willing to take calls.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I did call the vet. Kinda sounds like if it's a cut of some kind there is nothing they can do and if he ate something he can't pass it would be too early to know anyway. Guess that means I will wait him out and hope for the best. I'm really worried it is something he can't pass, but he ate and drank this morning, so I guess I get to wait and see if he will poop today.

Oh, why do beagles think everything is great to eat?!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi Buffy,

The lethargy and shallow breathing brought out the emergency nurse in me...I know that you are watching him closely. I'm sure you already did a mental inventory of what he could have gotten into in the laundry room.
Please keep us posted.

~Denise

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yep, Denise, that what has me worried, too. He did poop and pee just a bit ago, so I don't think he has a blockage. He doesn't seem to have the shallow breathing quite so much anymore, but he is a little lethargic - not like crazy bad, but certainly not his usual self. He is still drooling and if he is in his crate he licks his paws. Once out of his crate, he just finds a comfy spot and sleeps. When he went out to poop, he came to me and ask to go out, so I take that as a good sign that he is in his right mind, so to speak.

The nurse at the vets office (she did speak with the vet) just kinda made it sound like it was too soon to know if it were a serious internal problem and if it were a cut or something in his mouth there wouldn't be much they could do.

I don't have an emergency clinic anywhere nearby, but my vet is on call in case of serious emergency. The nurse said to keep an eye out for diahrrea, vomiting, severe lethargy.

Anything else I can do to help him?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
He seems to be improving some this evening, I think anyway. He didn't eat with his normal voracity, but he did eat and even came into the kitchen while I baked and when my son ate his dinner. He also came in and sat next to the tub while I took my bath. So, I am hoping the activity is a sign of improvement.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
It's so worrisome when something like this happens to our furkids, and they have no way of telling us what's going on. Fingers and paws crossed that Toby will be okay.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
I'm glad he is improving - hope he continues to do so.

My first beagle Benny got a hold of a whole loaf of Italian bread plus ate some of the plastic while munching on the bread. The vet said to watch him for things like bloating up, diarrhea, not eating or frequent vomiting. He was fine and everything passed (even a lot of gas!!!!)

This site might be helpful and you can ask a vet a question:

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=H&S=1

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And in usual beagle fashion, it happens when I am 36 weeks pregnant and sick myself.

Thank you for the well wishes and the website link.

He is definitely more active tonight and seems to want to be where the family is.

·
Registered
991 Posts
36 weeks pregnant, July and in South Carolina!!!!! You sit down and put your feet up! That is an order!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
O.k., today is better and worse. Toby is eating, has peed and pooped and is much more alert and active. However, he seems to want water, but can't seem to drink it. I have gotten water down him by mixing it with food, but he can't seem to just go to the water bowl and drink on his own. Any idea why? It seems odd that he could eat but not drink.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I had a dog that forgot how to drink water, but it was from senility. (no other reason could be found, so that is my assumption.)

I mixed water with her food, which she ate with no problems. I also had a plastic syringe the vet gave me, and I'd gently shoot water into her mouth. She swallowed that just fine.

What exactly is he doing when he goes to the bowl?

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I gave him some with a syringe and it seem to get him going because then he started drinking out of a small bowl. Then he just drank and drank and drank. I'm not sure if he is actually getting it all down, but I just let him go. I figure if he vomits, it might help get out of him what is bad and if he doesn't vomit, hopefully, it will help flush his system.

The water is getting mucked up pretty fast - kinda brownish. I keep changing it out to fresh, hoping to flush out what ever the brownish stuff is.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Glad to hear he's drinking again. I wonder what that little devil got into?!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Originally Posted By: judymaggieI am glad to hear that Toby started drinking water again. Do you think the brownish might be from dried blood?
That's exactly my guess. I am kinda down to two guesses as to what's going on. One, he got a cut somewhere internally from chewing up the dog collar. Two, he got into something poisonous on his walk that morning and we didn't see it happen. We have seen quite a few small frogs and such.

He is resting now, so I guess the water didn't upset his tummy.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'd go with the first guess -- I don't think anything poisonous would cause dried blood. Whatever it was, it sounds like he is on the mend in all ways!

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Update -

I took Toby to the vet this morning. Argh, that darn beagle! He had part of the clasp of the collar stuck on his back tooth. Both my husband and I tried more than once to check his mouth, but I'm sure you know how challenging that can be! Plus, I think we were both looking more for blood/cuts. The vet got it off of there and we think he will be fine now.

Now, Lucky doesn't seem to want to drink water. These beagles may be the death of me!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts