Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all everytime I’m out with Cooper I get jealous of owner with dogs by their side with no lead..

I have Cooper on a training lead , I will let it drag behind him sometimes and he’s so so,, but I’ve only risked it with no people/dogs around etc, cause he will even bolt on the training lead if he sees a bird 😂

Is it worth the stress?

Regards Andy

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Beagles are NOT off leash dogs. They will run after a scent every time. Its dangerous to allow off leash in a park or neighborhood. If you live on a ranch or open property you own then..maybe. dont risk it. If you go to an enclosed dog park ok.
They're hunters and will run..

·
Super Moderator
5,050 Posts
My beagles are never off leash unless they are in a fenced yard. It would take some serious professional training to keep them by your side. My ex used to let my first beagles loose in the woods when we were walking and I hated that. Too many times it would take hours to get him back to us. Maybe you can find a fenced in dog park if he is good with other dogs.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Make sure there are no openings in the fenced area the dog can get through or around. Bring some very tasty treats to get your dog to come back to you.
And as for dog parks be careful... dogs can attack other dogs. It happened in my city. A dog killed a little dog and attacked its owner when she tried to rescue it. My dog was bothered aggressively once by another dog and the owner did not intervene.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi yeah think I’m going to keep him on a long lead..Went for our daily walk today and he tried to bolt again when he saw a crow 😂 he’s bird mad..I don’t think he would of stop for me if he didn’t have a lead on

·
Registered
917 Posts
Xerxes wouldn't. We have a saying in our house - nose on, ears off!

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Once I met a nice couple in the park walking their dog on a leash. Of course we stopped to talk about beagles. The gentleman said would it be ok if he ran around the area with our beagles. I said ok and handed over the leash and off he ran. Cassie looked like she was really enjoing it ... then i began to freak when the guy accidentally dropped Cassie's leash and she was just running along. As soon as they returned i went for the leash...WHEW! LOL :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
They are escape artists, our beagle has a Whistle tracker and it has come in handy several times.
It just isn't worth the worry.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
Well wouldn't you know... i was gone for about an hour this morning. My husband opened the back door while gardeners were here and sure enough Cassie made a beeline for the front.. &%$$#@!
thankfully a guy walking by helped get her. May I repeat...beagles are NOT off leash dogs... despite 3 fence barriers... oh yah they were all open.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have two beagles that are always without a leash whenever we are in a forrest or somewhere in nature. Yes they do sniff around, but they always keep an eye out for me. They are afraid of losing me, because I just keep on walking. When they escape our backyard it’s different, then they don’t come back for hours.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My Bailey is pretty good off leash. I would never let him off leash by a road but if I am in a park, beach or bush track etc. I feel comfortable letting him off. He will sometimes lag behind to smell things but once he sees me getting further away he rushes to catch up to me. He is good with jogging beside me too.

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
My city doesn't permit off leash dogs . However my neighbor does walk their old dogs off leash.. they do follow the owner closely.. cant see my dog doing that.. lol

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the replies...We went to the local park recently and Cooper fell in love with a little Cockapoo that was running after his ball, we let him run with the long lead on the floor he was awesome so happy chasing the dog, was nice to see him full flight 😂

1 - 16 of 16 Posts