Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boomer is a male, almost 5 months and not yet neuterued. My husband and I are debating weather or not to fix him and if so, when. We have no intention to breed him. We do plan to add another beagle to our family early next summer - not sure on another boy or a girl.

Any thoughts/ideas/opinions? Thanks in advanced!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Hi there!

Please have him fixed. To coin an overused phrase, there are so many unwanted dogs and puppies in the world, why take chances.

Even if you watch Boomer like a hawk, accidents do happen and an un-neutered male can cause alot of damage. Un-neutered males will made special efforts to get out if they even suspect there is a female in heat.

All of my dogs, male and females, have been fixed and it made no difference in their personalities...

Please, please, please fix Mr. Boomer.

~Denise

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Fix him. If there is no plan to breed him, fix him!
As Denise said, there are too many unwanted and homeless dogs in the world... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif . no need for more of them - and accidents happen way too often.

You should fix him around 6-8 months of age. That's usually what vets recommend. But when in doubt - call the vet!
:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I agree .... neutering is in order. as a rescue volunteer I certainly can attest to how many unwanted beagles there are ... and that is just in FL. We have adopted out close to 145 beagles just this year /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We're 100% in agreement that we want to fix him - our dilemma now is WHEN, what age? Our vet says before 7 months when he will start "marking" in the house....some friends say to wait a year until he's full grown.

·
Registered
991 Posts
I am whole heartedly on the neuter side. You do not want him getting in a fight with another male over a female in heat, nor do you want the owner of the female hitting him trying to break things up. Beagles are very smart dogs and if they feel a needed to get out, they will try everything they can to get a their goal. He will still have a nice male bark and not a falsetto. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Spencer was fixed at 4.5 months. As soon as his "dingleberries" drop, they can be snipped off. SO I wouls say as soon as he is ready, ho for it.

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I vote to have him neutered. It also protets the male doggie from getting prostate cancer. Our first Beagle Sam had prostate cancer. We never had him fixed because he was an only dog and we didn't think it was necessary. He lived to be a ripe happy age of 14. But he did have cancer at the end.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Badger was fixed when he was 5-6 months old...he was tired the first night I brought him home, but after that he was good as new like nothing ever happened! Glad he doesn't remember and still loves me! hee hee hee

Oh yes, Badger has never tried to mark in the house either. Thank goodness...so once the vet says he is good and ready I would go for it.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi, I'm a vet and we always recommend at around 6 months ( Snoopies got to be done in about 2 weeks too ),
Definitely do it for the sake of pups, testicular tumors and prostatic hyperplasia ( which is a benign prostate enlargement induced by testosterone later in life and can lead to constipation/urinary probs etc..). Always better off desexing a young healthy dog rather than an older one with health issues /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Much lower anaesthetic risk and quicker healing....although keeping them quiet after the op can be a challenge!!

·
Registered
115 Posts
We had Zeus neutered at 8 months...

We like you guys were up in the air about it. He had two baby teeth that never came out and were starting to rot. We had to have him put under for the teeth so decided to have him neutered at the same time. I think it was harder on my husband and I then on Zeus. He healed very quickly and his personality is the same old one he had before.

I have in the past had a older dog neutered, he was 3. It was very hard for him. I remember it took an extra week before he felt like himself again.

I would go with the vet and do it at 7 months.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Please have him neutered. I wish we had had our first two beagles neutered, we had 12 pups, accidental from them. Our prsent two are neutered its the only way unless one is breeding with them.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Fix him. Despite what some people say, a dog does not fail to forgive for his 'loss of manhood'. In fact, after they've recovered from the surgery, they don't seem to notice any difference. They go right on loving you.

So please, yes, fix the dog. The animal comminuty at large will thank you for your kindness.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
I vote to get him fixed also.

I struggled with the idea of getting Abby fixed and I struggled with the idea of not getting her fixed. In the end I decided to get her spayed.

I felt bad "taking away" her ability to be a doggie mommy but what convinced me to do it is:
I wouldn't feel right breeding her because there are so many puppies in the world that need forever homes. I would also feel horrible if she "accidently" became pregnant. Also, her first heat was horrible for her and I didn't want her to go through that again.

We got her spayed and although the day of surgery was rough for her (she came home that evening) she was back to her normal self a couple days later...me on the other hand I thought she would give me a heart attack jumping and running all over the place.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
"Dingleberries"? :rotflmao:

·
Registered
614 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Joe and Vinny:
"Dingleberries"? :rotflmao:
I don't know about ya'll but dingleberries mean something totally different then the dog's nuts.

he wiping with toilet paper these days??? lol

1 - 20 of 21 Posts