Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Marley's tail is uncut, and long.

I notice some beagles have shorter tails. Is it because they were cut?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I should add...at the last Beaglepalooza we had in Tampa, they did various awards. One was for longest tail, so they must have varying lengths. I would say just like

P.S. Jersey took second place in that category!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Beagles' tail isn't supposed to be docked. They have that beautiful tail with white tip.... one of the beagles' special markings. I would never consider docking Chloe's.... just love it!

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
don't get me wrong, I love Marley's tail. Was just curous because we were told that they are never cut, but I see short tails. Short and stocky a bit.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not sure Beaglebabe, I'd have to measure. I am not good at guestimating.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: Marley's Mommydon't get me wrong, I love Marley's tail. Was just curous because we were told that they are never cut, but I see short tails. Short and stocky a bit.
You mean like UNO's?
I think that just as every beagle looks different a bit (but somehow we all know they're beagles.... weird) their tails are different...

·
Registered
308 Posts
Stray Jack looks like a JRT with his face and ears and delicate body structure but has the beagle coloring and Beagle tail.

There is nothing quite as pretty as my Wonder Twins out back in the morning *hunting* side by side with their tails straight up and wagging !!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I think that on show dogs, like Uno, that they may cut the hairs at the end of the tail giving it the rounded look rather than coming to a point like my beagles' tails do, but I am not real sure. Certainly not the tail itself though.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Yep the show dogs often have the hair cut into a round shape at the end rather than leaving it natural. It makes it look shorter and Uno's tail looks really short to me.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I've noticed that beagles seem to have differing amounts of the white on their tails. Li'l Girl has a long "flag", and I love watching her when it's waving merrily. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/soapbox.gif

Attachments

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Huh...interesting! I had no idea Beag Owners cut tails. Personally it's not something I would do, nor would I condone it being done just for aesthetics.

IMO, Abby is perfect that way she is /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I've never heard of beagles tails being "docked" as in the actual flesh and bone being cut but they do cut the hair off the tip for showing. The idea of "docking" a beagles tail for hunting seems ludicrous because it's the white tip that the huntsman looks for in the bush to find his beag.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol2.gif that's a cute picture with the ruler. I'll have to take one of Chloe's tail, for comparison. But I can tell you right now that it will be a little longer than Abby's...

·
Registered
582 Posts
Hmmm... Interesting subject, but I'm not sure why we have to look at yet another picture of Abby's butt. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

What the AKC says...
Quote: Tail
Set moderately high; carried gaily, but not turned forward over the back; with slight curve; short as compared with size of the hound; with brush.
Defects--A long tail. Teapot curve or inclined forward from the root. Rat tail with absence of brush.
"Defect" or not, I like Sadies long tail. (12-1/2 inches, if anyone wants to turn this into a contest.)

(Photo by Murphy and Summers' Dad.)

And there's nothing wrong with Sparky's little stub either. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Heeeeey...I see beaglie butt in that pic too ^ /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sick.gif

I did the ruler and tail because I am a visual person and figured others might be also.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts