Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm sure this has been addressed in the past by someone but searching briefly I couldn't find it. I cannot, for the life of me, get our two beagles to stop jumping up on me, my hubby, or guests. When I come home from work I understand they're excited because they've been home alone all day. I've tried a few things to no avail. When I turn my back to them and wait for them to settle they jump again as soon as I turn around. I've tried holding their paws when they jump up until they're a little uncomfortable. Every time I think they're getting it they jump again. And Rocky is the worst because he'll actually leave the ground, and he can jump HIGH even from a stand still. My hubby is about 6'3 and Rocky can jump from a stand still practically into his arms. And it never fails, he waits to jump until I bend down to pet him. Today, I let them both out when I came in and it was raining. So when they came back on to the porch I was going to dry off their feet. Well, as soon as I bent to dry Rocky's feet he jumped up at my face and clocked me good, even made me bleed because he opens his mouth sometimes when he's jumping and panting. He's not purposely trying to hurt us but it does! They're both very smart but they just don't seem to get it!

Any suggestions?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I wish I had some wise words of wisdom for you, but I could use some good advice on this topic too. Jersey does the same thing. Even if I go out of the apartment for 10 seconds and come back in, she goes nuts and jumps like crazy. I can get her to settle for a few seconds but as soon as I walk away from her she goes nuts again. She won't stop until she can lick my face.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Ditto here. Bodie always jumps on us when he sees us. And if we're at his level he goes for the face. I can't even tell you the number of times he has bitten my nose, chin, hair and ears.

We're pretty sure he knows off. We usually only have to say it once or twice with a non-verbal cue for him to comply. But even then there are times he needs to be physically removed from the situation.

We know he's excited to see us so I understand. But at the same time I'd like to see it stop. Is this something Beagles grow out of as they get older?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Buzz bonked me so hard on the nose earlier this week that I thought I broke it... but it just hurt for a few days. I hope he didn't hurt himself doing it, either - but he seemed fine.

I don't really know what to suggest other than what we were told to do with Moosie when he first arrived (but for another reason... he was an excited pee-er and so when we would get home he would be so excited to see us that he would pee everywhere). The trainer worked with the humans rather than Moose - as we had to learn to calm ourselves down when we got home because we were contributing to his excitement by greeting him... so we basically would come home and not even say hello or look at him and just go about things as if he wasn't there. It did work - he seemed to get the message quite quickly and I do think we were contributing to the problem by just being happy to be home and see him. And once his excitement level went down a few notches we could then work back to greeting him, but in a calmer way - since I did find the complete ignoring of him a bit hard to do!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You're expecting sympathy from someone who is constantly saying to NINE BEAGLES, will you PLEASE stop jumping on me, I DON'T LIKE IT!!!! I've tried doing what the trainers say and turning my back when I walk in the door (there are usually at least 4 beagles down here - and sometimes 6). I've also tried ignoring them - which also didn't work. If anyone finds a really GOOD method, please share it with me too!

·
Registered
847 Posts
Beaglesmom, I love your post, too funny!

BookerMoose, I like the idea of turning down your excitement when you come home. We're always so happy to see him I think we're just as guilty as he is in getting excited. I think we'll try dialing it down when we come home and see if that helps.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm in the same predicament!!!
And I thought it was just me so I was afraid to ask!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Nope it's not just you? Anybody else bruised all over? I have tried everything anyone ever suggested, but can not make them stop - they're so happy to see me when I come home - my legs are constantly bruised from them running into me! I suspect if I didn't have quite such a large pack greeting me, it might be a little easier - but it's overwhelming to walk in my door! I love them ALL to pieces, but OMG - I DO get tired of being jumped on! By the way, reason does NOT work with beagles! I've tried explaining to them that it HURTS mommy to have all of them jumping on her at one time! They don't seem to care at all! I've tried calmly telling them that mommy doesn't jump on them and hurt them - but they don't care! I know they're just happy to see me, but golly it smarts!

·
Registered
242 Posts
well, i know not everyone believes in the Dog Whisperer but i've been watching his tapes and much of what he teaches makes a lot of sense. this is cesar milan - i know there are others who call themselves dog whisperer....

i've really enjoyed his tapes and maybe they could help....

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Ours go mad when we arrive, but when we say 'down' they obey, I have a treat ready and they get it as quickly as possible!For strange dogs, if they bound up to you shout 'no' and raise a knee. This usualy at least slows them down.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I LOVE watching Cesar Milan. There's also another show I like, I think it's called It's Me or the Dog. I have one of the Dog Whisperer seasons on DVD so maybe I should pull them back out and review them.

I've also tried tuning down the excitement. When I come in from work I almost completely ignore them. Daisy runs around like a mad woman crying and barking and all excited. When they calm down I calmly try to great them and they get excited all over again!

I am glad to know I'm not the only one!!!

·
Registered
847 Posts
We're starting to dial it down when we first see Bodie and he does seem less hyper. There's a lot to be said about doing this.

Oh ya, I like the It's Me or the Dog. Mainly because of that woman's English accent.

·
Registered
326 Posts
We had the same prob.

I don't know if this will work, But it had worked thus far for us, Try it it can't hurt.

First off we purchased a baby gate and then rigged it so it were to block off the main entry door, but still allowing us room to put on shoes exit enter ect... The gate is placed up at all times even when were home. (for the dogs that can jump higher, add 2 gates and wire them onto of each other).

this is kinda the method to the jumping madness.

When you come home, the dogs can still see you however they can't jump on you, say hello, take off shoes or whatever you do before entering the full home, take your time, then reach over the gate and pet and greet.
We then remove the gate stepping inside the crazy area (lol) turning our backs to the dogs, placing the gate back, then humans continue to enter the full crazy zone, Ignoring the dogs, if they continue to jump, Turn sideways and with your hand claw like press down motion on the chest area saying down, after a few times of doing this believe me they do get the jest of it.......if they are still needy. You may find this weird...however I lay kinda on knees bent over fully no face showing (cover with hands)and allow them to sniff and greet me. they do this only for a few secs:) then they are fine with that lol, OK who's the lowest on the rank now?haha.

anyhow times they come in from outside from yard etc.....I don't give them the time to even think too I make sure I'm standing, and say Ohhhh nice to see you too give a little pat, and ignore...

this works even for visitors the whole entry door thing...NOT THE KNEE GREET THOUGH that's just for me...haha

Well if any of this made sense maybe perhaps tryyyyy it!:)

Ok you can try this if any of it made sense

(CAUTION DO NOT SENDDOG WHISPERER TO MY DOOR FOR THINKING I'VE LOST IT!)

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Erin, it sounds like Jersey and Daisy are kindrid spirits! I ignore Jersey totally for the first 5-10 minutes. Like Daisy, she'll calm down but then gets all crazy again the minute I go to her. I give her a treat, make her sit and stay, and give her the leave it command...as soon as I release her and she gets the treat she runs to me going crazy. She won't stop until I let her give me a kiss, then she's fine. Crazy dog. I guess I should feel good that my dog loves me so much that she can't be happy until she gives her momma' a kiss.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha thanks Beagleweegle! I may try some of those techniques

Jen that's so funny! I swear if someone listens from outside it probably sounds like I'm beating Daisy, the way she cries and barks and carries on when I get home. LOL

Brien-She does have a cool accent, but I have a feeling I don't like it the same way you do!! LOL

·
Registered
614 Posts
I been using the kneeing trick. When she jumps on me I simple bend my knee where she will be jumping and hitting my knee. She eventually got the idea that I don't like getting jumped on. When some buddies of mine come over they do the same thing and she quit jumping on them.

Now when I come home I just open the crate while I am sitting down and she jumps on my knees to stretch out and give me a kiss, but no jumping up in mid air.

This tricks works for big dogs too, and it don't really hurt them but stuns them more then anything.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts