Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,
My two year old beagle, Belle, weighs around 21 kg last time she was weighed (she was previously 22 kg but we managed to get her down to 21 a while ago). Vets have said she needs to be around 18 kg. I put her on a weight lose biscuit diet from Science Hills, but she has not lost much weight at all. Not noticeably anyway. She is walked twice a day, and gets regular visits to the dog park. Does anyone have any tips for helping her lose some weight? She isn't overly obese, but she began to reverse sneeze and the vet said this was due to her being overweight. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ❤
Thanks in advance,

Zoe (The hooman) and Belle (The Boss)
IMG_20201102_183707[1].jpg

·
Super Moderator
5,140 Posts
She is so pretty! You can cut back on her kibble food a bit and add things like peas, canned plain pumpkin, plain yogurt to fill her up. Be careful of treats too, they can really pack on weight. We don't give them people food and their treats are small dry dog cookies, no meaty treats.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
What @Mollys Mom said. With that, has she been tested for hypothyroidism? Worth investigating.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
I add some canned low sodium green beans and decrease some of the dog food..mash the green beans so she doesnt pick them out. I also add 1/2 tsp of coconut oil 2-3 x week in one feeding of the day..it helps take off weight. How tall is your dog at the withers?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She is so pretty! You can cut back on her kibble food a bit and add things like peas, canned plain pumpkin, plain yogurt to fill her up. Be careful of treats too, they can really pack on weight. We don't give them people food and their treats are small dry dog cookies, no meaty treats.
Hey,
Thanks for the message! Belle has chicken/turkey mince with rice (or pasta) as well as peas, corn, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and green beans for dinner. She used to get quite a few treats and tidbits throughout the day, but we don't give her that many anymore. Only occasionally does she get a little tidbit but its no bigger than a dry dog biscuit. So I have done as much as I can think of to rid of some of her weight, but to no avail. :unsure:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I add some canned low sodium green beans and decrease some of the dog food..mash the green beans so she doesnt pick them out. I also add 1/2 tsp of coconut oil 2-3 x week in one feeding of the day..it helps take off weight. How tall is your dog at the withers?
Hi,
Yes Belle has green beans too. (She used to pick them out and drop them on the floor, but luckily she eats them now 😅) I will add some coconut oil into her food. Thank you for the tip! Belle is 44cm at the shoulder. Belle is an English beagle by the way, so she is slightly taller than the American breed.

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
So if she's 17 inches and about 46 lbs then i would guess that is somewhat overweight. My dog is 15 inches and 26.5 lbs. I never give my dog a whole biscuit.. i break it. I dont think its the amount they get..its just that they get something...lol

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So if she's 17 inches and about 46 lbs then i would guess that is somewhat overweight. My dog is 15 inches and 26.5 lbs. I never give my dog a whole biscuit.. i break it. I dont think its the amount they get..its just that they get something...lol
I meant dog kibble size. She never gets a whole biscuit unless she steals it! (She is very good at stealing food. Like a whole pack of salami... 😬) And yes, she is a few kilos overweight.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Are you making her an entirely homemade food? I'm wondering about sources of calcium, as well as other minerals and vitamins. You've probably got that covered, but just a thought.

Xerxes is 16" and he weighs 24-25lbs (he did go up to 26lbs, but we've got him trim again).

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
With all that said, she doesn't look super overweight in that pic. Neb is a beagle mix and he weighs 17kg. Not sure how tall he is, way taller than Xerxes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you making her an entirely homemade food? I'm wondering about sources of calcium, as well as other minerals and vitamins. You've probably got that covered, but just a thought.

Xerxes is 16" and he weighs 24-25lbs (he did go up to 26lbs, but we've got him trim again).
Only her dinner is homemade. She gets Supercoat biscuits for breakfast. This food here:
Supercoat-Dry-Dog-Food-Adult-Chicken-7.5kg.jpg

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Ah, okay.

My other suggestion - do you know the calorie content of what you're feeding her? And what her calories should be at her goal weight/for weight loss?

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
By the way foods like Pasta and Corn which you said you feed the dog are high in Carbs and thus puts on weight. If the foods you are cooking have other greasy fats it can cause Pancreatitis.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts