Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FINALLY went to pick up our darling Snoopy today!
i was sooo nervous but she is amazing - absolutely AMAZING!
sooo much energy but so calm and confident and loving
already LOVES to cuddle and give hugs and follows me around
she is soooo precious and i'm so in love
and she hasn't had any accidents! just one little one but she has gone like 8 times today outside!!!! i'm so proud /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif
she doesn't wanna stop playing cuz she is having so much fun but is sooo tired - so she keeps falling asleep mid play...
right now she FINALLY passed out sprawled over my hubbies body...nap time :p
the picture thing isn't working for me right now... will try again in a bit! but there's a little update hehe

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I'm so glad it's working out so well right now! I hope you get pictures working soon - can't wait to see your little one in action!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
That's great!!! We all have been waiting for an update /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

I hope you manage to post soon. If you'll have any problem, let us know.

I'm so happy for you /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/toofunny.gif This is one great way to celebrate Mother's day /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/doh00000.gif

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks so much everyone
pics will be up in the morning

right now i'm having some problems ... she hates her crate....
i'm soooo exhausted
.... i put blankies in it and a hot water bottle
i dangle my hand and pat the top of it...
and she is screaming bloody murder

how long do i wait???? (my neighbours HATE me...)
can i do anything else???
i feel sooo bad cuz she's upset... help anyone????

thank you!!!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
and yes thank you!!! it was quite the mother's day! haha

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Most do hate it at first. Are you going to use the crate for when you are not at home and night time?

I'll bump this up to the top for those that know more about crate training.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Wonderful to hear your little one is home with you! I don't have any experience with puppies, so I am little help there, but congratulations on the addition to your family! On Mother's Day - that is so fitting!!!!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Most pups don't like the crate at first because the crate means confinement...can't play, can't have interaction with anyone etc. and they feel a bit alone and missing their mom and littermates.

But it does get easier. You are doing the right things but although it seems cruel and is hard on the neighbours I'm sure the more you ignore the crying the quicker she will learn that she can't have her own way...which is to get out.

Not everyone likes the crate training method and give in and try another method but personaly I don't think I could ever raise a puppy without one.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks guys i'm exhausted!
well last night with the crate did not work at ALL!!!!
i dunno what the breeder did but i know she had little kids and i'm starting to wonder if they took this little pup to bed with them. ALL she wants to do is cuddle! all the time...
hold me... cuddle me... she hugs and loves its crazy...
i mean its great that she wants to cuddle but there was no WAY she was staying in her crate last night.... and i did everything right.. she was whining but then all of a sudden started SCREAMING and she had gotten her jaw stuck around the plastic little bars and couldn't free herself. I freaked and luckily my calm husband was able to pry her free - it was sooo scary and traumatizing for everyone that i just put her beside me on the bed and in 2 seconds she was asleep!
i know you're not supposed to do that at all .. but she slept ALLLL night and only woke me once to take her out.
this morning at 7 i got up and took her for a little run and she did all her business outside like a good girl but i had to go to work and she has not really bonded with my husband yet... as soon as i shut the door i could hear her start to wail :S
it was so hard to leave her! and so hard to be at work right now and not know whats going on!
she is amazing but such a hand full of life WOW.

they sure are angels when they sleep though that's for sure /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
OMG that must have been so frightening for you when she got her mouth stuck.

I must admit that I have on occassion given in and taken a pup to bed with me when I've been sooo exhausted and needed sleep. But i learnt once you do that trying to get the pup back in the crate for any reason, even if it's just to go have a shower when no-one else is home, is a nightmare.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok here are a few pictures - my camera takes really big ones unfortunately so it takes me awhile to size them down....

she was so funny yesterday - she didn't want to stop playing cuz she was having so much fun but she was soooo tired she kept falling asleep mid play...
hilarious and sooo precious /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Attachments

·
Registered
96 Posts
Don't give up on the crate! What kind of crate is it? When we brought our most recent pup home we tried a plastic carry-crate since it was just the right size for him, however he would NOT have any of it he would scream as soon as the door was shut on it no matter if someone was close by. We soon got a bigger, wire crate for him with a divider and actually started with the divider *wide* so he had tons of room, and left the cage uncovered (he now prefers a blanket over the top to make it dark and cozy.) He had a few accidents at first but was much more accepting of his confinement. Gradually we moved the divider narrower and he got adjusted to a smaller section of the cage and the actual 'crate training' could begin.

Good luck and don't give in to the cuteness! Too much contact will make it harder to detach from them later; unless you plan on being around the dog 24/7, they will need some independence to make it through the day while everyone is away at work and such.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
yes it was sooooo scary i was freaking out /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif
i think i'm more scared of her crate now than she is ! ugh.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Looks like you have a cuddler! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Don't give up or give in to her crying. It will get better. I didn't use the crate method (stupid me) and I have to leave Chloe roaming the apartment. It also took me a LOOOOONG time to potty train her. I know of many people/friends/memebers... that used the crate to train the dog - it is awesome!

It will get better.

WE WANT PICTURES!!!!!

update - okay, saw the pictures. I LOVE HER!!!!! She is freagling on your brother in law.... adorable /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/doh00000.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lick.gif and Happy Mother's Day!!! Although you are having trouble with the crate training, it does sound like your pup is adjusting pretty well to her new family. Here is an article on crate training that has been posted on BW before -- maybe it will have some tips for you:

http://www.ddfl.org/behavior/crate-train.pdf

Keep those photos coming -- she is absolutely adorable!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
she IS pretty cute haha
i love her colours and her little eyebrows! they give her such personality!
her little jowls curl up into a smile too...
just so precious
i think i'm in love /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

i can't believe how confident and friendly and loving she is.
for sure a mind of her own though!!! very strong willed.
i'm in for quite the adventure :p

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
P.S - thanks for that link! it looks great

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie got her jaw stuck in the wire crate when she was a baby too. I had her in there because I was cooking dinner and didn't want her in the kitchen. She screamed like someone was torturing her. I was able to get her jaw loose and then I thought she had learned her lesson and wouldn't do that again. The next day she did the same thing so I had to buy a plastic crate because I couldn't take a chance she would get stuck with no one at home to rescue her.
Your puppy will get used to being in the crate. Maggie used to complain and cry also. Now if we get our coats on she runs over and gets in. One day my husband and daughter left when Maggie was asleep on the couch. I guess she didn't know I was in the house because I heard her howling and crying and found her trying to get in the crate. She must feel safe in there when we are gone.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Congratulations on Snoopy's arrival - she is adorable! And confident, friendly, loving and strong-willed... she certainly sounds like a beagle to me! It sounds like a bit of a roller-coaster for you so far - I can't really give you any hints because our three beagles were all adopted as older rescues, but I'm sure there will be lots of help here for you through these first days (and weeks and years...) from those who have been through what you are going through.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts