Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a tick on Jersey this morning. YUCK!
I just had a conversation at the day care about how there have been lots of cases of ticks this year. They were telling us to keep an eye out for them. I commented how Jersey has never had a tick, but my bosses Chocolate Lab has been infested with them. Well, I guess I jinxed myself. Now I'm paranoid about Lyme Disesase (even though it's not common at all in Florida).
I saved the tick in a plastic bag and I'm calling the vet tomorrow to see if there have been any cases of Lyme Disease in the area and if so, can they test this tick. I took all her blankets out of her crate and washed them. My sheets and blankets are next. Then I'm off to vacuum everything in sight. I know I'm over reacting, but the thought of more of those nasty things on my dog (or me and Mike), just makes my skin crawl.
Poor Jersey, I wouldn't even let her stay outside and sniff around this morning. It was potty and back in.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Jen,
I think we have ticks and fleas down here because we haven't had a cold enough winter to kill anything. I have been putting flea medicine on my 4 every month like clockwork because the day after 30 days I swear I find a flea on one of them.

We got infested with ticks years ago when we first moved to Florida. It was a nightmare to get rid of them. So no, you are not overreacting (in my opinion).

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I am always thankful for the environment in which I live when I hear stories like this. I grew up in Missouri so I have my own flea and tick stories too, but I have lived in Salt Lake City Utah for 23 years now. Because of the desert climate we do not have many flea issues (if any) here and ticks are only a concern when we take the dogs camping, but otherwise we've never had a single one. I've never had to use flea/tick remedies on my dogs at all.
Don't worry about thinking you are overreacting. We all have to watch out for our own and precaution and safety should be #1.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Steph, I definiely agree about the weather. We haven't had enough cold weather over the last few years to kill all the creepy crawlies that live here in Florida. I now have a spotlessly clean bedroom. It's amazing how much dog hair can accumulate under a bed. I don't think the tick was on her too long. It was still flat and didn't seem to have any blood in it yet. Jersey is on Sentinel, and I'm very diligent about giving it to her every month. She's getting a bath today too. It's nice and sunny out, close to 70 degrees. I already brushed through her with a fine toothed comb and didn't find anything else. I just have nightmarish visions of the thing having layed eggs somewhere. Ughh....

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally Posted By: Brien & Bodie
Are fleas and ticks primarily found during the spring/summer? We keep Bodie on a month dose of Sentinel and haven't seen either since.
I can't give you a good answer on that. Here in Florida, we never really have winter, so fleas and ticks (fleas especially) are a year round issue. I'm sure it's much the same in California. Well, you're in Northern Cali, so you probably get winter weather. Or do you?

·
Registered
959 Posts
Ya, all need to move to South Dakota where it has been so darn cold no human being or beagle would allow a tick to live. BUT come spring and summer, we get them like crazy, fortunately, my boys must have an agreement with the critters because I hate those little bugs.

Nope, we'll get them, and mosquitoes, also....so it pays to follow the medication guidelines against such parasites. EWWWW.
Don't envy you a bit...

Cathy

·
Registered
614 Posts
I currently have Dixie on the frontline and after camping and hunting during the summers we haven't seen a tick on her.

Also I get her Lyme booster shot at the vet. For some reason the vet here in Houston don't have that shot right now, but they are ordering up a few shots cause Dixie needs her shot. Also they recommended another shot that starts with a L. But apparently it commone around here due to all of the squirrels and raccoon in the area, they carry a disease and this shot is to keep Dixie from getting it.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
We only get ticks from spring to autum. You would love it in our house, sometimes we take 20 or more off the dogs a day. I was bitten twice last year. Here the ticks can carry lymes and summer meningitis, but we use frontline on the hounds, and if we get bitten keep an eye on the bite area. Our neighbour got lymes last year but was o.k. after treatment. Beware of long grass and low bushes, thats where the little monsters lie in waiting. Also dead leaves particularly in the woods.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We've had some pretty cold weather this winter, so fleas and ticks aren't a problem right now. Come March, we'll start the monthly applications of K9 Advantix.
That works well for our pack.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
We pulled a few ticks off of Roscoe this summer.I freaked out as well but because of where we live (in the middle of the mountains) it is ineveitable. It has been too cold recently to worry. I worry when it gets warm because we have a rather large deer popluation, they are all over my yard, even now! He and Cole are on Advantix monthy and both have had the Lyme vaccine and get a booster every year. I feel you can never be too safe!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts