Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 dogs have HUNDREDS of little bitty ticks on them. Most on the edges of their ears. I was wondering what the best stuff for this is?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
If there are so many of them, I would probably start with a special wash at a groomer, and then use either advantix or Frontline (I use frontline once a month or so..).

Poor beagles... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Are you sure they're ticks? That seems like an odd place for tick bites. Usually they like to hide in warm areas...folds of skin, under the arms, between the toes, etc.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I just saw a beagle that had just been rescued and its ears were covered with tiny ticks. I thought this was odd, but evidently either some ticks prefer the ears or it's just convenient for them (i.e. the ears are easy to hop on).

Give them some frontline and the ticks should start dropping off within about 24 hours.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Around here the ticks are extremely bad for animals. They are deer ticks and carry lime disease. Its VERY bad. We also use Advantix its good on mosquito's too.

Also if you want to get them to unattach themselves then take some vasaline and dab a bit on the tick and in 15 minutes it should let go for easier removal. They are nasty little buggers!

·
Registered
96 Posts
A flea/tick 'dip' is the quickest way to do it, which is all a groomer would do (plus a good comb-out). The chemical at work is permethrin, its a general purpose insecticide that goes into many sprays, dips, and topical drops. Hopefully this isn't a house dog or you will have a much bigger problem on your hands than just the bugs currently on the dog...

Oh, and are you sure they aren't canine lice? They have a very similar M.O. but they are smaller than ticks and tend to stay in the hair instead of dropping off after they feed. Treatment is similar but you need to be more persistent since they cling more than other bugs. Fortunately, they die just as fast as any other bug when hit with permethrin.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
How old are your dogs?
If they're puppies don't dip them in any sort of pesticide treatment until you get your vet's OK.

Good luck!

·
Registered
19 Posts
They have hundreds? So they had a few at first but you didn't decide to do anything about it until it was hundreds? I'm just not seeing how they can have hundreds all at once, but I guess anythings possible.

I would take them to the groomer first and get them a special bath, wait 24 hours and then buy a product like frontline, or advantage which has been suggested.

Poor dogs they have to be uncomfortable, i'm glad your finding a solution to make them better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts