Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dog jimmy has many ticks on his stomach , between the fingers and under the paw . There are about 100 aproximately . He is 6 weeks old . Please tell me what to do . Is there anything i can do at home without a visit to the vet ?

Thank You

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Are they definately ticks? 100 is an awful lot for a tiny 6 week old puppy. They will make him very ill and anemic. You can remove them yourself with tweezers but it isn't easy and you are in danger of breaking the ticks head off and leaving it behind in your beagles skin. Please take him to a vet and soon.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Even 40-50 is still wayyyyyyyyyy too many for a puppy so young. If they are all stuck in - have already attached to the pup - the pup remains in serious danger of being anemic. I would take the pup to the vet as soon as possible. It is likely the pup will need treatment other than just having the ticks removed. Besides just being anemic, that many ticks could easily transmit disease also. May need a course of antibiotics to ward off any infection besides the usual treatment for anemia. I'm sorry if I frighten you but I have seen what this many ticks can do to a pup so young.

This situation concerns me - this is not normal at all for any animal to have so many ticks.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm starting to feel very sorry and concerned for this little puppy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif He has ticks, is too young to be away from his mother. I hope he ends up alight - please make sure he sees a vet.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Go to VET Lord will offset cost for you as did with my beloved FOX . Who occured a $200 plus VET expense before death called my beloved FOX home . But went peacefully in my lap at 3:45 am Mar 16 . Will be praying for your beloved PET .

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I went to the vet and he gave me a liquid and told me to dissolve it with water then take a clothe and wipe it in jimmy's body . I did so and when the ticks were coming out i took them out with the tweezers . There were about 200 - 300 very very tiny ticks . It took six hours to complete but there are a little more . I am going to finish off them too .

·
Registered
443 Posts
Sounds like you are on the right track now. And yes, Jimmy will need to be watched and treated periodically - will he now be in the house more or outside more? Of course, the more he is in the house - the less exposure he will have to ticks. I am amazed he had that many but then I have to remind myself of where you live - such as what the climate is like in Sri Lanka. Here in Kansas, United States - we have the four different seasons which allows for hard freezing temps and our summers only hit 100+ degrees for a few days per year. We had some heavy snows this past winter and even tho the calendar now says spring, we are still having cold weather, especially at night.
Need to get to work now.
Keep up the great work you are doing with Jimmy

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I agree. It just sounds like too many ticks to be on a 6 week old pup. 200-300 hundred - you just wouldn't see the puppy under that coat of ticks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay atlast , The tick problem is over . Yesterday i finished many and many of them and it took 8 hours . Today From 10am to 3pm i waited for hours and killed many and now i think the tick problem is over . In Sri Lanka we don't have schools for dogs so i have to train him . Thank You for all your help and time .

·
Registered
959 Posts
So how did the ticks or mites turn out. I have been thinking about this poor puppy since you wrote. Chip has fleas galore when he was 6 weeks old, and we took him to a vet at 9:00 pm.....he got douced with anti-tic killer, which wasn't supposed to be for pups his age, but what else could we do? He's fine that way, but that's a lot of any bug to be on a puppy, please let us know about him.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.