Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I want to know something:
Chloe sometimes eat very fast and throws up. She than wait for a few seconds and eat it back.
The thing is, I actually see the food she threw up not being chewed at all (which probably explains why she threw up to begin with). She has a healthy apetite and I don't think it's the food since it happened with other brands too.

I'm puzzled. :conf6: ..Does that happen with your beags too?

·
Registered
54 Posts
What a coincidence! Holly did that for the first time this weekend. I know exactly what you mean, some of the food didn't look like it was chewed. And Holly just went right back at it as if it was regular food. I shooed her away from it more for my sanity than her health! Is this normal?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jersey does that sometimes (it's her EWWWWWWW). I asked the vet about it and he said it's just from her eating too fast.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I agree. I had the same thing with Marley a few weeks ago. Food comepletely like it looked in the bowl. His vet said he ate too fast. However, another time he threw up it was connected with diarhea and another throw up or two (including one with just the orangey bile). This she said was probably something that is going around in pups. She gave him IV fluids, nausea and diarhea meds, and an antibiotic.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Boeing throws up once in a while and his food is not chewed up. He eats real fast and sometimes vomits. But I've noticed that once he 'burps' it will be okay whether or not he chews his food.

·
Registered
614 Posts
A buddy of mine had a lab that had this same problem, so we just put a brick in his dinner bowl.

It slowed him down cause he dove off into the bowl the first time and hit his nose hard, so everytime he eats he is extra carful now and slows down.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Sounds really gggggggggggggggggross,but just one of those things dogs do ! :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
If you feed them dry dog food you may want to try adding a small amount of water to it. My vet suggested that when my Sam was just a puppy. He says it helps with digestion. I don't think it slows down their eating, that just comes with age I think, but Sam stopped throwing up after we did that. He is over 4 and we still occasionally do it because he thinks it is a treat. Silly dogs.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
I believe this is one of the grossest things Miss Shiloh does!! :eyes:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Every once in awhile Beasley will do this...But only with her breakfast...She seems to eat breakfast twice as fast as any other time of day.

·
Registered
807 Posts
The water trick worked with all my beagles. I swear they are born with a "gotta eat it as fast as I can gene"!! I just cover the dry food with a little warm water and swish it around a bit....the food doesn't get soft yet it looks like a thin gravy. Even now that they are older they will practically choke from eating too fast if I don't put the water on. Good luck, Julie

·
Registered
48 Posts
Hmmm, glad to hear this phenomenon is normal. My Boomer does it a few times a week. Just a few kibbles, but it happens. I shoo him away and clean it up...gross!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts