Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wrote awhile ago about having three beagles in the house. Anyway, yesterday I found the perfect home for Trapper's 10 month old pup, Dolly.I knew it would be hard to part with her but thought it was a good idea until I got home and told my husband. He wont part with her! Isn't it funny how even our husbands get so attached even though they pretend they aren't. She sleeps in his chair with him every night and then on the foot of our bed so I guess we will continue to have three beagles in the house. 10 mos., 2 yrs., 11 yrs.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Exactly like my mom!!! When our previous dog died, my mom said she wouldn't want any more dogs in our house, saying it was too sad to see them go one by one. But when I brought the seven-week-old Boeing home one afternoon over four years ago, she told me to take him back to the breeder as she wouldn't have the energy for raising a pup that young and a beagle pup at that. But I just turned a deaf ear /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif . So, she had no choice but to look after him, reluctantly at first but willingly later. She's been complaining about his mischiefs and trouble-seeking habits, but if you asked her whether she'd give him up, she'd say "Not for anything in the world! He's my grandson!"

Now, Boeing takes turn sleeping with me and my mom every night. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
We have 4 dogs in the house which makes for wall-to-wall dog beds in the evening. :eyes: My husband amuses me when he tells Miss Priss, the cat, that he doesn't want her on his lap or chest. She then takes a delicate paw and gently pats his cheek, and she's allowed to lay on him. :rolleyes: I swear it's a game she plays with him.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I know how absolutely hard it is to part with a pup. We had Harley and Sadie who were littermates, and they were a terrible two-some, but then they mated and had little Maggie. This house was just not big enough for 3 beags, cat, fish, and family! Luckily we happened to find a good home for Sadie momma-on a farm where she can run and with 2 little girls who love her too. But even now-2 beags are tough to keep up with sometimes, but I am too dang attached to Maggie the baby-she is 5 1/2 months old and my baby! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Judi

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Although we have many problems, we couldnt part with Snoopy and Susi. Sometimes I think it would be nice to rescue another beagle, but that could sink the boat!

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Two are enough! Trust me & Pop! We are veteran beag owners & two can be a handfull! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif In the
best "placement", for beags is to pair a puppy or a very young beag or dog with the elder one. Goober welcomed Homer my mixbreed hound & even taught him some of his "bad habits"! But, the "upside" to this is the fact that the elder hound will "pass-on" some of his traits to "his pup"! Homer-the-Huge has learned a lot from Goober
in his 4+ yrs & he really "freaked-out" when Goober had to go the vet! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by A doghouse:
Sometimes I think it would be nice to rescue another beagle, but that could sink the boat!
I say go ahead and load up that boat! Three are great - and not noticeably more work than two... although one person walking all three together does take some practice! And they definitely get the pack thing going when they are together - earplugs might be a good idea!

Having three also allows us to spend quality alone time with just one dog as well, without the other two getting lonely, since they can keep each other company. I find having that alone time with each dog is an important thing - and definitely works better with three than it did with two, when one was clearly left out if we did anything with the other.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts