Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's not a great time of year for doggies, when it comes to the weather.

We had a day or so of constant snow and ice a few days ago. It's all over now, but my back yard is on the shady side of the house, and that ice ain't goin' nowhere! Plus the places I walk the dogs aren't much better ice-wise. SO, poor pooches must brave the icy back yard to pee and poop. They HATE it, I can tell. And who can blame them? It's hard to squat when your legs are sliding in all directions. It doesn't help that my backyard is slightly on a slope too. I have to admit it was funny watching them on the first day doing their normal morning bolt out the door to pee, and unexpectedly slide down the yard. Haha!! They comically exit the kitchen door slowly and cautiously every time now. They've learned their lesson. How hilarious! But now, I feel bad for them.

On the first day or so of the ice, it was pulling teeth to get them to go at all. They would slowly and slipperly pace the yard, and just not be satisfied enough to go, and they would want back in quickly. So, I stepped up the trips to the yard to twice as many as normal. After 3 days, they're getting the knack a bit. They're realizing that the arctic back yard is their only hope this week. Luckily, I've had no accidents in the house.

I stomped around the yard the day after the storm to make some footprints to help their traction. The ice now is even more solid than ever. I even threw out some rock salt, but it doesn't quite work well on lawns, especially those with a few inches of solid ice - and in the shade. I know the salt isn't good for their paws, but they're not out there very long.

Hopefully only one more day or so until I can safely walk them on the sidewalk. It is, however, funny to watch Bailey poop out logs that roll right down the icy slope. (I know - gross - but it's cute)

Anyone else have icy potty stories? Or what do you do to keep your beagle exercised, empty and happy during these icy times?

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Molly loves the cold, icy stuff. She associates that with bunny hunting. I have no problem with her at all as far as potty goes. Maggie, my lab, is another story completely. She will run out there and try to pick up all four legs at the same time. It's pretty funny to see, but I feel bad for her at the same time.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Molly is so tiny that she seems to squat okay on the ice, its my greyhounds that have trouble. I break the ice up the best I can to give them traction and use a small amount of table salt on the really slick spots.

I exercise Molly in the house - throwing balls and toys up and down the hall, giving her a busy ball etc. I also take them all to the pet store and we all walk around the aisles.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
When we first got Susi and Snoopy we also had record snow. It was impossible to take them for a walk, so Dave cut trenches in the garden for them.

Attachments

·
Registered
421 Posts
the lucky thing about living in maryland is, the snow and ice won't be there very long. here in sunny canadia, it snows every few days, and it's not going anywhere for the next couple of months at best. sophie loves the snow, and doesn't mind the cold. she doesn't like rain though, and i'm ok with that.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My husband shovels a path where Regal can take care of his business. The path becomes more of a place for us to stand because he seems to prefer doing business in the deepest parts of the snow. Poor guys legs are going further and further into a snow pile as he tries to pee!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts