Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've read wonderful advice on HOW to introduce a new packmember, but I wanted to know if there were any truths to other compatibility myths that I've read on the web (it MUST be true if it's on the internet, right
).

1. will adding a 2nd male beagle to the group frustrate both parties? sure, Java is timid, but I don't know what will happen if I added another male beagle to the mix.

2. will adding a female automatically mean acceptance by both parties?

3. can Java become jealous or possessive?

bonus: anyone got any beagle rescue recommendation for someone in the San Francisco Bay Area? (I've tried Norcal Beagle Rescue, but I'm not sure if the adoptable listing is current).

Thanks!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Joe!

There are tons of myths and misconceptions out there that I'm hoping members will be able to help debunk.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
For the most part, dogs sort themselves out. Being a male or female is no guarantee of acceptance, but you can help the situation by not letting Java feel she is being replaced. Greet Java first, feed Java first, etc. If there are any tussles between them, let them sort it out. If it gets nasty, break it up and scold (correct) BOTH EQUALLY. Fighting is not to be tolerated. If you and yours accept the newcomer in, Java should follow along. And do love the both equally.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Okay, we started with a female. When she was three we added a male. They got along beautifully. Then a couple years later added a second male. No issues. Now we have a third male (lab) who is a dominant putz but everybody gets along well.

As to NorCal, both of our boy beagles are from them. I would respond to any posting of theirs that interests you and if that beagle is no longer available they will help you with ones that are. Buster was fostered out near Palo Alto and Boomer in the Sacramento area. I can't say enough good things about them.

Hey, I see you are in Concord. We are in Walnut Creek!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts