Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I found a Beagle on Craigslist only 2 hours from me. I know Craigslist can be kind of scary but here is the story-
He is 9 years old, and housebroke and neutered. He is a family pet. The family has a 1 year old daughter, and the dog just does not like her. He has not bitten her, but does growl at her. They also have a 9 year old son, who the dog adores (has growled at him if he's taken food, well she said he growled one time when he stole a steak and the boy went to take the steak back). They are getting rid of him since he does not like the daughter. Has other wise been friendly with all other people and dogs. He is free, as well, and will need his next set of shots in about 3 months. The lady did sound like she loved him very much. They have had him for 5 years, he came from her brother-in-law (need to find out why).
What do you guys think? Sound fishy or like I should pursue him? Here is his ad:
http://sd.craigslist.org/pet/776050299.html

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
The only thing that I would be concerned about is how he would be with Shadie. If he's growling when they take food, will he growl if Shadie comes near while he's eating? Plus, he may not be up to a puppy being around if he doesn't like kids either. You might want to take Shadie with you when you visit him.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Doesn't look suspicious to me, however, you may want to request vet records. I'd also follow Daisy's mom's advice and bring your other dog along. Being the owner of two senior beags, he will most likely make a wonderful pet.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Aw-www, he's a sweet-looking guy, but then all beagles are, and I'm partial to the older ones.

I'll second the advice about taking Shadie with you to see if he'll tolerate her. Food aggression is a little worrisome, so you'd want to discuss that further, I think.

Let us know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I would definitely be sure the two dogs meet. I think speaking with the vet or getting vet records is a good idea also. You can tell a lot more in a face to face meeting and seeing the dog in its home setting.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds great everyone, I'll let you all know what I decide. I did tell the lady that I would be bringing Shadie with me, because it is VERY important that they get along, and the lady was fine with it. The food aggression worries me too. I rescued an Irish Setter about a month ago (he went to a GREAT forever home about 2 weeks ago), and he almost took Shadie's head off over a toy (was fine with her otherwise), so I did not keep him for that reason (and mostly because he was too big, I had planned on finding him a home anyway). So, we'll see, but keep your pawas crossed!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts