Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Beagle, Bailey, has thicker hair then my other two....and Sheds soooooooo much .. I have tried using a shed ender but I didnt do it well....Does anyone have their dogs hair thined out or cut shorter.....I just want her to be more comfortable in the Texas summer heat.....

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I am using the furminator a few time a week (when I remember). I heard last week of plucking the undercoat out which reduces the shedding dramatically. I'm going to check that with a few groomers in my area and see....

·
Registered
85 Posts
A girl i work with has a beag named Roscoe. They shave him ....i know it sounds weird...but he has bad allergies too, so that is why they do it. I can't imagine how a beagle would look shaved. I will have to ask her for a pic.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
A shaved Beagle, it just ain't right /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Okay, having seen our hounds skin when they have had bits shaved for various surgeries, I'm just not getting a good mental image of a completely shaved beagle!

But back to the original question - Booker's fur is much thicker than Popcorn and Moose's fur, and slightly wavy too. She sheds MUCH more than they do... and also gets to feel a bit greasy sometimes although she doesn't eat anything or do anything that the other two don't also eat or do, and they never feel the least bit greasy.

And yet of our three, Booker is the only one we know for sure is a "real 100%" beagle - so go figure!

·
Registered
959 Posts
I had two boys, one has thin hair and very thick. The other had longer hair, with a layer of fine fur underneath that. The fur keeps them cool and warm during the different seasons, shaving it off, might cut off the pups air conditioning.

I'd just make it a habit to bathe him once a month, and brush every other day. Otherwise the hair will build up and can cause problems. Can they thin out the hair, I don't even know, you'll have to clue us all in when you find out.

But I agree a shaved beagle, just isn't right.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Hair Hair Everywhere /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif

...unless your Beagle is shaved /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/bounce.gif that's the weirdest thing I ever did hear

To answer the question, I can't imagine that I would ever thin out or cut my dogs hair shorter. Beagles are short haired breeds with some having a slighter longer coat than others but not to the point were you can cut it shorter.

Even if you could cut it shorter that wouldn't make it shed less.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I agree with Jennifer, shaving it won't cut down on the shedding. I had two English cockers for years and their coats were my pride and joy, but I shaved them every summer. I still had hair everywhere, it was just half an inch long as opposed to several!

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Yeah, I agree with cobismom. These people I know shave their Pyrenees every summer 'to keep him cool', but not only does the poor thing looks like man oversized poodle, but they don't realize they are actually making him hotter. As long as the shedding undercoat is brushed regularly, dogs cool themselves off. Just make sure there's lots of water snd shade. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would NEVER shave my beagle....I just wondered what groomers do with beagles....I know I need to brush her more....does anyone take there beagle to a groomer?????

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
I haven't taken Maggie to the groomer yet, but I used to take Molly every two months. It's great because in addition to bathing, brushing, and overall foo-fooing, they also do the dreadful things...like nail clipping and anal gland squeeze.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I've taken them in the past. All groomers do to Beagles is give them a good brushing then wash, condition and dry. Then trim hair around the feet if needed and round off the end of the tail if you ask them to.

They also cut nails, squeeze glands, clean out ears and will clean teeth if the dog will let them.

·
Registered
605 Posts
The whole reason I got a short haired dog was to avoid groomer costs!!! LOL. I'll do the other stuff myself.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts