Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep having strangers ask me how young my beagle is when Boeing and I go for our walks. From a distant, the beagle looks so small and puppylike, especially when he's trotting, his white-tipped tail swaying and ears swinging from side to side. A very cute picture. Some months ago, a couple stopped to ask, "How many months old is your dog?" I said, "48 months." Both were speechless for maybe 30 secs and then burst out laughing, "You got us there!! But he looks very much like a puppy and a very sweet-faced one too." Then again on one of our daily walks about a week ago, a guy stopped to ask the same question: How many months old is your beagle? And I beamed, "53 months" Now this guy just looked at me, nodded his head and smiled a bit uncertainly before walking away without another word /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

I went home and told my mom about this. She gave me a good scolding for being wicked.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Well, I watched Charlie grow 12lb to 22lb, there he stays, he is still very young looking. Because of his size people always think he is young. But I have a big contrast here at home, I have a retriever who is going to be 12(age estimated) and boy he looks sooooo old.

Charlie mom

·
Registered
517 Posts
They do look young from a distance or to people not familiar with them. I notice the graying in the face on older Beags now that my Crook is nearly white-faced. He will soon be 8 yr old.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Some people still think Rosa is a puppy and look really shocked when I tell them she is 6 years old. Only the other day I was out walking and a lady who said she had beagles herself before thought Rosa was a puppy. When I said she was 6 she thought I meant 6 months :biglaugh:

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Yes, its odd. When Spotty was 9, people would say, shes only young isnt she! They ask if Susi is only a puppy (she'll be 7 this year), but poor old Snoopy, who will be 6 on April 1st, they think is old. He has a white nose and runny eyes.

·
Registered
303 Posts
When i take Bailey for walk and people often asked me how old is he? I said, 15 months and they said, oh! he still a puppy...

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
People who don't know beagles often say what a cute puppy the Bagel is. When I say somewhere like he is between 12 and 14, I always pause and then add "in human years." /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif We (Bagel and I) get some strange looks. Bagel doesn't play like a pup (Never really did) but he is very friendly so I guess that is what fools them.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Pop & I experienced the same thing with Snapper! He was as energetic as a puppy his whole life & most people thought he was much younger than he was! That has been a "repetitive cycle" ever since! Duke & Goober have fooled many "non-beaglers" as well with their youthfull exuberance! Duke passed though on 6 March 2000, but Goober is "still kicking" & will reach 15 on 12 April 2007! And Rufus will soon turn 11 @ the end of this month! (Our beags are living longer than their predecessors & "thats a good trend") :thumbup: Nibbler is nearly 7 & "Homer the Huge" (A hound-mix...will be 5 yrs old soon) :thumbup: With a proper diet, vitamins & vet care...your beag & most breeds will live the longest life possible...(It is in their nature to be as active as possible until their end.)Anything we can learn to extend their life often comes at no cost & is worth more than all the gold ever mined! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

1 - 8 of 8 Posts