Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is one of my many beagle tale's

I finished work at 2pm one afternoon & returned home to a house full of gas!!!! I was extremely lucky because normally when you enter the house your shoulder would catch the light switch & turn it on but luckily on this occasion i didnt!

My first concern was for poppy because the gas could of been on for a maximum of 4 hours!! I called her name in a panic but no reply. I walked into the kitchen to find destruction!!! Poppy had been on the kitchen sides & knocked everything off & had turned the GAS hob on hence the house full of gas.

The stair gate had been knocked down so i thought she must be upstairs, so i ran upstairs into our bedroom only to find she had opened the bedroom window & obviously jumped out!!!!

I immediatly rang the vets to see if she had been took in but they had nothing!!! I called on some neighbours who had seen or heard nothing. I called my family up to help with a search operation. Within in the hour we had posters made up & plastered everywhere, we even got the local young kids searching for her.

We had spent 4 hours searching for Poppy when i recieved a call from the vets, someone had just brought poppy in!!!!
My first thought was she had to be badly hurt, no dog can jump out of a 2nd floor window & not be hurt!!! I was wrong!!! I walked into the vets to Poppys loud howling because they had her locked in a cage. She didnt have a scratch on her, it was a miracle!!!! The vet told me she went into some lady's house, jumped on her sofa & went to sleep!!! The kind lady didnt want to disturb her so left her there until she woke up!!!! Best thing was this lady's house was about 1 minute away from my house!!!!

Its amazing what a beagle can do which is pretty much everything & anything. You have to admire this breed, they are soooo much more than a dog.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Marcus,

That is one of the most amazing stories that I've ever heard! Maybe Poppy was feeling a bit woozy and that is why she just slept at the ladies house.

What a horrible feeling when you think you've lost them, isn't it? Thank God for ID tags and chips.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that was the reason why she escaped by any means because if she had stayed there she probably wouldnt be sitting under my feet right now! As for sleeping on the lady's sofa..........thats just any excuse for a beagle, they do love their creature comforts.

Microchips are a god send though, especially for beagles! But after 4 years of beagle ownership i THINK im fully beagle escapee proofed. When i bought her it was one escape route after another, dig, jump, climb trees, chew through mesh fences, the list is endless!!!!

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
That is an amazing story! I was thinking the same as Denise that Poppy felt the effects from gas and left. What a wonderful lady to bring Poppy in and take care of her!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes she was lucky she strolled into the home of a dog lover, maybe Poppy should be called Lucky beagle hey?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I have to agree with others that that is a truly amazing story -- thank goodness it had a happy ending! I wondered if maybe the gas made her a little drunk and thus not as susceptible to hurting herself when she jumped out the window.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I'm glad I knew there was a happy ending before I started reading... but even so my heart was in my throat. So glad it all worked out okay and that Poppy didn't let the situation get in the way of her afternoon nap!

Our middle beagle Moose jumped/climbed/fell out of a second floor window at a friend's cabin a few years ago, and the way the cabin was set into a hill he actually fell three+ stories. Eeeck! He did go into shock but recovered quickly and escaped without any injuries - and the crazy galoot would do it again in a heartbeat if he had the chance (but he just won't get the chance...). The ultrasound and x-rays he had after the fall did enable us to discover that he had been shot before we rescued him - and that was certainly a strange call from the vet (which we didn't know as we were away when this happened) - basically asking us when exactly had we shot our beagle and why had we left the pellet in him?!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jesus, someone shot a beagle or any dog for that matter!!! That is just crazy!!!! Your dog isnt called Shiloh is it?

·
Registered
889 Posts
I'm so glad Poppy is ok!! Thank goodness for wonderful people like your neighbor

BookerMoose- A guy that I worked with used to foster for Lab Rescue here in FL. One of the dogs they fostered was adopted out and then started having some limping problems. The new owners took him to the vet and he had x-rays done, etc. They also found out he had been shot at some point in the past. It's just awful what some will do!!!!

And just this week I found out a vet group in Destin has taken in a young border collie that was found as a stray. His feet, ears, and tail had been cut off!! Can you believe what some people will do?? It's amazing that he survived. I was so sad when I heard about it, but they had pictures of him and he looked so happy and seemed to be getting around just fine.
He lives at the vets office during the week and gets fostered on the weekends.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The thing that surprises me is how the heck did Poppy jump out of a second floor window and NOT GET HURT AT ALL. Seems like dogs would at least maybe get broken ribs and limbs from a fall like that. One time I had Dillon sitting on a metal table which was about chest-high at his vet's animal clinic when he unexpectedly jumped off the table as I tried unsuccessfully to catch him. I screamed at him NOOOOO which threw him off his concentration and my hands accidentally pushed him a little bit while trying to catch him. He landed on his arms but he crashed on his side on the floor but he got up and he was fine. I am lucky he didn't get hurt on that hard concrete floor. I was surprised his arms held up to his 35-pounds weight. I thought he would have suffered 2 broken arms right there. He's pretty strong for a beagle.

Back to Poppy, I agree that beagles are a very smart breed and they are quite capable of figuring what to do when emergencies arise. And beaglepopper, you are one very, very lucky person your house did not explode. I think there is something you might could buy for your stove like a cover that goes across the entire knob control panel. Another thing, do you have a gas safety valve you could probably turn off and on outside the house? It might be a good idea to start turning that safety valve off before you go to work. That way if Poppy accidentally turns the knob on while you are gone, there's no gas going into the stove and leak out.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
After this happened we did buy a hob cover but we have moved from there now & have an electric cooker now but Poppy's days of jumping on things are gone now. Our house is just about beagle proof now. She doesnt play up that much now but if there is something in the kitchen bin that she wants then she destroys the bin bag!!!!

Only god knows how she did not break her legs that day, she was only small & agile then but that wouldnt of saved her! Beagles never fail to suprise what they are capable of.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts