Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been doing fairly well trining Diggity on "come" and "drop it" but having kids in the house has been hurting things. I want her to really have those commands down-pat before the rest of the family uses them but things weren't going so well. The kids keep saying, "Diggy come! Come! Come Diggy!" over and over and though I keep telling them that they are undoing my training, I still catch them doing it. But if you have kids I'm sure you know, you can't tell them nothin! LOL Anyway, the big one I wanted Diggity to learn was "come" in case she got out. Sure enough, it happened. In the house she did OK when I'd say "come", but this time she just looked at me and kept on going. She mostly just sniffed around the neighbor's yard and the kids caught her but I wanted to have a better recall. Then it hit me. I got a dog whistle and started training her to come when I blew the whistle. This way the kids couldn't undo it because I was the only one to have the whistle (or the wife). The other commands she still does well enough for my wife and I but the kids she could care less. I'm guessing she sees us a dominants and the kids as equals perhaps? Anyhow, I'm really pleased with that whistle. Whenever I use it to keep her in practice inside the house, she runs like a lunatic to come find me and her reward.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
As far as her getting out and not listening we have a saying here:
"when the nose turns on the ears turn off."
It's so very true. Someone also mentioned a while ago that the only difference after training was that their beagle now knows commands which they ignore.

I would consult someone that uses beags to hunt with as to how to train "recall" into her. Could you train her away from the kids, or at a time when the kids were not at home?

·
Registered
751 Posts
see how inventive Beagle owners can be! Great job on thinking out of the box on this one. I agree with the post above, maybe get some training time alone with pup? Take her into different rooms where the family is not. Also, as far as recalling outside, sometimes pups have a one track mind. What you train them on in one room they may think only applies there. Train her outside as well so she begins to understand it all applies wherever you are.

On my walks, I use sit, and come with Marley so he gets used to hearing it outside. I did a lot of "come" practicing in our back yard so that hopefully if he gets away he comes back. He slipped from me early on in the training and my heart was in my toes but I calmly said "marley come" and he did.

Also, even if the 'come' is because the pup did something bad, or got away, try to use the same pleasant calm tone. Diggity Come, or whatever you use. Get the pup excited about coming to you. Use of the whistle and treat sounds great. More practice with it and pup will get it.

However, so true with Beagles, if their noses are so very on at the time, they will be distracted and may not "hear" you.

good luck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All good ideas, thanks! We've tried in a few rooms and only occasionally in the back yard. Maybe we'll try it on walks, too. I think that's a great idea. I've been using the whistle and giving her a treat as soon as she gets to me and then again about 15 seconds later. Before she would take the treat and then run off. This way, she waits in anticipation for the second one...which also gives me time to scoop her up if need be! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
786 Posts
Wow what a good idea with the whistle. I have 2 girls and on occasion they have gotten out of the yard and the whistle would be easier.
I usually keep a leash near each doorway and go and grab that. Once they see it or hear the tink of the clasp they come running...

jetenginemech, where in Ct are you located?

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
I use the whistle too, he'll come to me everythime I blow it when he is in the yard. Lately Charlie has gotten use to the come word and will come without the whistle.
But in the dog park is a different story :hi:
When I whistle, other dogs came but not Charlie!
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I can usually get her attention or to come to me with either the "come" command, my whistling, or using the whistle. I'm trying to make the whistle the "reward" sound though.

I live in Winsted. How about you, pfr?

·
Registered
889 Posts
We trained our first Beagle with a whistle and she has a really good recall, except if there is a nice piece of Fox poo to roll in :angel: :angel: :angel:

·
Registered
751 Posts
when you say come, and she gets to you practice timing on grabing her behind the neck a bit and treating at the very same time. Not hard, but a little grab for a second. THis will help her get used to you grabbing her so if she gets away and comes running to you on command, she won't flinch and bolt when you try to grab her.

So say come, when she gets there, do a quick grab at the back of her neck and treat in her mouth right away. You can then also introduce sit, if she has that down. So she knows to sit when she comes, and if outside, she will sit when she gets to you. Some of this is advanced once they learn come and sit basic commands but you get the idea. I also like how you do the second treat!

·
Registered
105 Posts
So speaking of the ole come command. I took Sadie out on the neighborhood trail and met my friend and her rottie at the lake. Lots of room for running. I had treats with me and various other items. I have let her run before but not very often because she's a beagle :rolleyes:
Well, I let her run and she was fine at first just playing with Stormie (her rottie friend) and then she decided to go off on her own and just go. So I used the come command and she just looked at me, turned and kept going. I followed her across the field and around a building back to the field and toward where we came from but every time I got within a foot of her she would take off away from me. :angry: So finally, when she was about 3 feet away, I said "I have treats". She stopped and turned to look at me with her whole body. Started to go again and I said "treats". So she stopped and I put the leash on her. So freedom is in the far distance for Sadie as we have A LOT of work with the come command to do. :smack:

·
Registered
786 Posts
I was telling my husband last night about the whistle and we're gonna go get one and start training them with it. I know that once they get out of the yard the nose gets turned on and the ears off... :wave:

·
Registered
5 Posts
hi all

when i got summer one thing i really wanted her to be able to do was walk without being on a lead, so the obvious problem is calling her back when other dogs are about or if she gets a sniff of something.

i tried the whistle technique but i was having the same problem as some of you on here i was getting every other dog apart from my own coming back to me.

after speaking about this to my dad (who breeds boxers) he told me to buy a "clicker" , i don't know if anyone on here uses them but its perfect. first i started clicking it every now and then with a small treat after every click, then moved it outside , not even calling her name just a click if she came to me she got the treat , simple.

it works great in the park because no other dog is interested in the sound of the click just summer, im not saying it works every time but were getting there. i would say she comes back 9 out of 10 times , she is only six months old so i think that isnt bad.

the clicker itself isnt expensive to buy here is a link for one. hope this helps some of you

ebay dog clicker

1 - 14 of 14 Posts