Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has started to get so hot here in the mornings that the boys and I try to get our walk in before 8 am...much different than our lazy 10 am start. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Anyway, I've noticed the boys wanting to stop and eat weeds as they get hot. Specifically they want to eat grasses...not the kind that makes up your lawn, but the grass weeds. Just wondering if anyone knew what the allure was to this...is it for water? Just wondering...

·
Registered
124 Posts
I honestly think they like the taste, because suzy will eat grass, sunbathe then come inside and sleep (go figure). But sometimes they eat it if they have a tummy ache, to induce vomiting ....they solve the problem all by themselves.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Jersey does that too. Sometimes it's when her belly is bothering her. Other times it's just like she's having a snack while we're outside which makes me thinks it just tastes good to them. I try to keep her from eating the grass here. I know that the complex has the grounds sprayed for bugs, so I don't want her eating any grass that may have that poison on it. I don't worry when we're at my aunt's house. I know that she doesn't spray her yard, so no harmful chemicals.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
There's nothing you're going to be able to do to stop them from eating stuff outside.

However, if they eat grass on a regular basis I would call your vet because eating grass can signify a stomach or digestive issue.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
I have 2 ferns growing in large pots in the back yard. This week one of the ferns died, /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I guess my brown thumb finally got to it. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif Anyway, I left the pot and dirt out there,, thinking that I will transplant another little fern there. Well, a day or so ago, Shiloh and I were in the back yard and I was inspecting my surviving fern to make sure it was okay, when suddenly Shiloh trots over, noses around in the empty pot, pulls something out of the dirt, gives it a good shake, and gobbles it down!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif I can't imagine what it was, and she wouldn't let me get anywhere near her mouth to try to get at it. I just hope whatever it was has worked its way out by now!!

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
My two regularly graze, and are picky about their grass. They love the tall, fresh bluegrass closest to the house. I have a section I don't use the weedeater on (and I never use herbicides either) It must be a great salad, 'cause they strain to get there!! My two currently have no digestive problems, and the vet says it's healthy for them.....

....be careful; learn your weeds and landscape plants, because many are poisonous; many, though are great sources of vitamins and minerals. When we are at my parent's farm, my two dogs are often grazing along with the sheep. Go figure.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Ours do the two types of grass-eating as well - the times when they are eating it to induce vomiting (when pretty much ANY grass will do) and the times when they appear to just want some salad (in which case they become VERY picky about just what grass they want to eat)!

Moose has always eaten grass to induce vomiting at least a couple of times a week - he eats a bunch, then throws up quite spectaculary twice then he is done. It is always exactly the same and usually in the morning. We asked our vet about it and she wasn't too worried - she says some dogs just do that (perhaps he has bullimia?) and since he always has done it, it isn't something to worry about now).

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
Ours like to eat the tall, weedy grass on the side of the yard. They don't usually graze on just the grass in the yard, but prefer the long weedy type. Isn't that funny.

·
Registered
308 Posts
The Beagle Twins eat grass too.

But the thing that makes me a little mad :hi: , is that the Twins have also eaten every single cucumber that has sprouted on my one plant (they eat the other 2 plants before they were in the ground 2 days). The only cucumber plant that survived is not my fave kind so I really don't mind.............

Oh and the have munched on a couple of my tomatos....but only when they turn red.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts