Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, he's doing fairly well I think, overall. My husband Ken came home on Friday after being away on business for two weeks. He was absolutely appalled at the condition of this dog. Me?, well I see alot in my rescue work but for him this is new. I guess the emaciated state of little Snoopy hit him hard and he also could not believe that someone would see the injuries sustained by this dog and not do something, anything. He also noticed something that the vet and I evidently missed ... there is something embedded in Snoopy's forehead that moves around when you touch it. Ken thinks it's about the size of a BB gun pellet and there is a small scar between his eyes where Ken thinks the entry point was.

So okay ... one more thing to remove during surgery. No worries.

I've never dealt with a dog who is in this bad shape. My instructions from the vet are clear, put some weight on this little fella. I am feeding him like crazy, lots of high quality proteins (chicken, salmon, black cod, lamb, beef) mixed in with his kibble. Preminum kibble - Blue Buffalo. As well, I am cooking bacon strips for him and feeding him those as snacks for some extra fat (he doesn't like olive oil). So far, within two weeks, he's only put on a pound. I only take him to the dog park with the rest of the pack every 2nd day, to let him rest and gain some weight. Any suggestions? I can only do so much volume for him and I'm doing my best. He can't be neutered until he gains 3 pounds. Personally, I think he should gain a bit more than that but I'll follow the vet's advice.

As well, he is completely freaked out when I let him outside. I assumed he would follow the other dogs out into the backyard but he won't. I have to physically take him out there and stay with him while he does his business and sniffs around a bit. He won't go out there without me. Of course this is no problem for me but if it's fear that's keeping him from going outside, that's worrisome for me. If he was an outside dog during the cold OH winters he may be fearful of not being let back inside? I don't know. It's never taken this long for a beagle I've taken in to get into the routine.

Sorry for the long post but I just want to give him the best life possible and havn't encountered these issues before. Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts
Bless you for what you are doing for Snoopy! I can't offer much advice on expediting his weight gain other that what you're already doing, but maybe other's here will have some suggestions. Thanks again for all you are doing for this precious little guy.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Poor Snoopy. He is so lucky to have you to take care of him. I don't know what to think about the weight gain. It seems like Maggie can gain weight really easily if we don't watch her intake and exercise closely. Has your vet done a blood panel and parasite tests to be sure nothing else is going on to prevent the weight gain?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
With regard to trying to put some weight on Snoopy, I would suggest you switch to adding carbs instead of more proteins and especially more fatty foods (you have to be very, very careful with bacon, ham, etc. as dogs can develop pancreatitis if given human fatty foods). Rice, potatoes, noodles are all good things to cook up and add to his kibble. You can stir in a little low-salt beef or chicken broth and heat the whole thing up in the microwave (make sure it is not too hot). For treats, you can give Snoopy some cheerios or Gerber graduates fruit puffs.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally Posted By: jassyPoor Snoopy. He is so lucky to have you to take care of him. I don't know what to think about the weight gain. It seems like Maggie can gain weight really easily if we don't watch her intake and exercise closely. Has your vet done a blood panel and parasite tests to be sure nothing else is going on to prevent the weight gain?
Yes, the vet did a full blood panel and his only issue was that he was anemic, and I was given iron pills to fix that. I think it's just a matter of giving it time ... he has been so undernourished for so long. Plus, the atrophy in his injured leg has brought the muscle mass down to a point where it's almost dangerous. He actually prefers to rest so I'm giving him alot of opportunity for that. As of this morning, he's up 1.2 pounds since I got him. So something's going right!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally Posted By: judymaggieWith regard to trying to put some weight on Snoopy, I would suggest you switch to adding carbs instead of more proteins and especially more fatty foods (you have to be very, very careful with bacon, ham, etc. as dogs can develop pancreatitis if given human fatty foods). Rice, potatoes, noodles are all good things to cook up and add to his kibble. You can stir in a little low-salt beef or chicken broth and heat the whole thing up in the microwave (make sure it is not too hot). For treats, you can give Snoopy some cheerios or Gerber graduates fruit puffs.
Thank you so much for the advice. I bought some wild rice this morning and cooked it up for his lunch, he ate it up like it was his new favourite. He does like the salmon which I think is good because it has the good oils in it? His coat is really nice now, not dry and flaky like it was when he first came.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Snoopy's housetraining is done ... he knows to go to the door and howls gently if he needs to be let out. We havn't had an accident in the house in over a week. The problem is still getting him out there alone! He knows he needs to go out but needs that push to actually get there. Hopefully it will come. I'm not terribly concerned about that bit of it, I just don't want him to be fearful. He's a good boy! No one can ever tell me than an old dog can't learn new tricks!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You can even use just plain old white rice -- even more carbs than wild rice. Be sure not to cook it with butter. The salmon is healthy and good for the coat but not really much benefit if you are trying to put on the pounds.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
You are truly Snoopy's beagle angel!
I'm afraid I don't have any helpful suggestions, but just want to give you kudos for what you're doing for this sweet boy. It'll be great to follow his progress.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts