Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'm on the search to find the most challenging toy for Ruby, that will keep her occupied for at least an hour, or the most challenging treats to stuff a toy. Currently, what works best for her are Kongs or Kong-like toys that can be filled with treats. (nix plush or soft rubber toys -- they're destroyed in 10 minutes or less). Of course, once the treats are gone, the toys are quickly discarded. I've tried many different sizes of Kongs, and try to find treats that she can't easily excavate. But Ruby has turned pro when it comes to these. I'm lucky if the treats last 5 minutes in the most challenging toy. As a result, I think she's put on a few pounds, because I fill them up too much. I work from home, so I like being able to pacify her on certain days when she wants more attention and I have to concentrate on work. It's also nice to have her pacified more when my 3 year old nephew visits weekly - her beagle excitement to play with him is just a little too much for him - but raw hides do help there, too.

Anyone have any thoughts on toys, treats, or stuffing methods that would challenge a pro like Ruby?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I fill the black kong with peanutbutter or with a mixture of peanutbutter and banana or peanutbutter and bread.

You can also wrap the kong in plasticfoil(do you know what I mean?) and then fill it with yoghurt, put it in the freezer and then after a couple of hours you'll have a nice kong icecream

fill it with cheese, put it in the microwave so the cheese melts. let it cool down!! that will keep her busy for a while.

What also works here is a dog pyramid from nina ottoson (http://www.pethealthandnutritioncenter.c...ctive-dog-game/)
it's still alive here and I had to buy new kongs, because Charlie can chew them up

Good luck keeping her busy

·
Registered
847 Posts
Sounds like you've got a challenge there Don. We've given Bodie lots of dog toys. The ones he likes the best are an old pair of durable flip-flops and some large stuffed animals. I do think we're going to get a Kong or two for Christmas. He's never used one so it'll be interesting to see how he likes it.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Kongs are absolutely amazing. You might think it's JUST a conic rubber toy. Java absolutely loves going to town on his Kong as long as there's some tasty peanut butter in it. The melted cheese suggestion is interesting and I'll have to try it.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Our older beagle, Roscoe, has DESTROYED just about every toy we have gotten him. Some toys don't even last 10 minutes. I don't know what to give him, we think he has teeth of steel! Kongs are awesome but he has learned how to tear them apart as well. I am afraid to leave him alone with toys for fear he will most definatley ingest part or all of it!The dental bones are good but have to be monitored and the H2O bone seems to last the longest if we get him the HUGE dog size!Our younger beagle, Cole, hasn't displayed this problem and is able to keep a few toys, as long as Roscoe doesn't get a hold of them!

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I freeze the Kong after stuffing it. Depending on how good a job I do with the stuffing it can take 30 to 45 minutes to get everything out. The Kong website has lots of interesting suggestions for stuffing.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Stuffed toys don't usually last long, but there are a few that Duke has had since before we got Violet (about 8 months now). Funny thing is, those stuffed animals are the ones that used to be mine that Duke stole.

Nylabones are the favored chew toy in our house. All three of ours love to chew on them and they usually last us 4-5 months before needing replacement.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have a couple suggestions for you. One is billed as the World's Toughest Ball. We have the medium one so that both the dogs can play with it. They have had it for almost 6 months now and it is holding up well.....which is more than I can say for most toys in our household. They love to push it around the yard and chased after it.

World's Toughest Ball

The other is the Tuffies Mega Ring. Great for interactive play.

Mega Ring

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for everyone's advice so far!

I forgot to mention that I do give Nylabones to the dogs. They all lay around the house, and Ruby will pick one up and chew on it for 5-10 minute intervals, then leave it. She'll do this a few times a day. I got her the hardest ones, because she'll bite pieces off of the rest. They do last a while.

I also got her this green ball called the Starmark Everlasting Fun Ball from PetSmart. It's lasted longer than anything I've ever bought. It comes in two sizes, medium and large. My only beef is that there's no size in between those. The medium should be called a small. Ruby can get her mouth around the smaller one, and too easily get all of the treats out by crushing it with her jaw (but it's in great shape after 4 months!). The bigger one is too large to get her mouth around, so she corners it, gets comfortable, and lays there and licks, licks, licks, licks.... We've coined the term lickie bliss, as she lays there for an hour or more and constantly licks in the hole until the treats are small enough to fall out. It's funny to watch her in lickie bliss, because her body goes limp and she lays there and licks forever. It has a hole on each side, but is designed to keep treats in pretty well. The only problem is that she licks so much that she creates a puddle of saliva when licks it. It all oozes out the other hole! SO now, I have saliva stains on all of the corners and many edges of my carpet where she's cornered the ball and licked, licked, licked, licked, licked...

I also didn't mention this in my starting post because of the slight stain factor. BUT I would still recommend the big green ball as a way to keep them busy. Just watch for puddles of spit!
I may write to the company ask if they would consider a size in the middle of the two that they sell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts