Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I´ve just started Glover on this brand of food and it seems to have made him more receptive in training and just generally more happy.

does anyone else feed their dogs this one?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Here's all I'll say about that!
How does your dog food add up?
Start with a grade of 100:

For every listing of "by-product", subtract 10 points!
For every non-specific animal source ("meat" or "poultry", meat, meal or fat) reference, subtract 10 points!
If the food contains BHA, BHT, or ethoxyquin, subtract 10 points
For every grain "mill run" or non-specific grain source,subtract 5 points!
If the same grain ingredient is used 2 or more times in the first five ingredients (i.e. "ground brown rice", "brewer's rice", "rice flour" are all the same grain), subtract 5 points
If the protein sources are not meat meal and there are less than 2 meats in the top 3 ingredients, subtract 3 points
If it contains any artificial colorants, subtract 3 points
If it contains ground corn or whole grain corn, subtract 3 points
If corn is listed in the top 5 ingredients, subtract 2 more points
If the food contains any animal fat other than fish oil,subtract 2 points
If lamb is the only animal protein source (unless your dog is allergic to other protein sources), subtract 2 points
If it contains soy or soybeans, subtract 2 points
If it contains wheat (unless you know that your dog isn't allergic to wheat), subtract 2 points
If it contains beef (unless you know that your dog isn't allergic to beef), subtract 1 point
If it contains salt, subtract 1 point

Extra Credit:

If any of the meat sources are organic, add 5 points
If the food is endorsed by any major breed group or nutritionist, add 5 points
If the food is baked not extruded, add 5 points
If the food contains probiotics, add 3 points
If the food contains fruit, add 3 points
If the food contains vegetables (NOT corn or other grains), add 3 points
If the animal sources are hormone-free and antibiotic-free, add 2 points
If the food contains barley, add 2 points
If the food contains flax seed oil (not just the seeds), add 2 points
If the food contains oats or oatmeal, add 1 point
If the food contains sunflower oil, add 1 point
For every different specific animal protein source (other than the first one; count "chicken" and "chicken meal" as only one protein source, but "chicken" and "beef" as 2 different sources), add 1 point
If it contains glucosamine and chondroitin, add 1 point
If the vegetables have been tested for pesticides and are pesticide-free, add 1 point

Grading:

94-100+ = A
86-93 = B
78-85 = C
70-77 = D
69 and below = F

Dog Food scores:

Authority Harvest Baked / Score 116 A+
Bil-Jac Select / Score 68 F
Canidae / Score 112 A+
Chicken Soup Senior / Score 115 A+
Diamond Maintenance / Score 64 F
Diamond Lamb Meal & Rice / Score 92 B
Diamond Large Breed 60+ Formula / Score 99 A
Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Ultra Premium / Score 122 A+
Dick Van Patten's Duck and Potato / Score 106 A+
Foundations / Score 106 A+
Hund-n-Flocken Adult Dog (lamb) by Solid Gold / Score 93 A
Iams Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Premium / Score 73 D
Innova Dog / Score 114 A+
Innova Evo / Score 114 A+
Kirkland/(that would be from Costco/Price Club) Signature Chicken, Rice, and Vegetables / Score 110 A+
Nutrisource Lamb and Rice / Score 87 B
Nutro Natural Choice Chicken, Rice, and Oatmeal/ Score 94 A
Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Puppy / Score 87 B
Ol Roy Premium Dog Food / Score 53 F
Pet Gold Adult with Lamb & Rice / Score 23 F
ProPlan Natural Turkey & Barley / Score 103 A+
Purina Benful / Score 17 F
Purina Dog / Score 62 F
Purina Come-n-Get It / Score 16 F
Royal Canin Bulldog / Score 100 A+
Royal Canin Natural Blend Adult / Score 106 A+
Sensible Choice Chicken and Rice / Score 97 A
Science Diet Advanced Protein Senior 7+ / Score 63 F
Science Diet for Large Breed Puppies / Score 69 F
Wellness Super5 Mix Chicken / Score 110 A+
Wolfking Adult Dog (bison) by Solid Gold / Score 97 A

·
Premium Member
1,632 Posts
Eek, look at the Beneful. That's worse than I thouht and I knew it was bad. My dog food is not on there, I will how to see how it measures up to the rest.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I use beaglesmom's list as a starting point when choosing foods, but I also check with the company to see where the food is manufactured and where the ingredients come from. I haven't received the newest issue yet but I understand Whole Dog Journal has surveyed many of the major companies and provides this information along with their annual list of best dog foods. You can do an on line subscription to this journal or go to their website and purchase an article that interests you.
Spencer's mom...my friend had her two Australian Shepherds on Beneful. When we read this rating scale she changed them to the Kirkand food from Costco and saw amazing changes in their level of competition in agility trials. I think she alternates with another of the foods on the list but I can't remember what it is.

·
Registered
225 Posts
We used Science Diet because that is what the breeder raised Blue one, but his digestive system didn't seem to agree with it. We had already decided to use Three Dog Bakery before we got him and he seems to agree with it quite well. Our vet had never heard of it before, but couldn't complain about the way he was growing, behaving. He was surprised about how beautiful his coat is and when we told him the food has egg in it, he knew that was the reason. I just wish that we actually had a Bakery here, and didn't have to wait two weeks to get a bag of food!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Okay, here's my two cents. I find that many vets recommend Science Diet, because they SELL it. I confess that I DID use it for several years in Sacramento for my Keeshond, because 1) her vet recommended it; 2) I hadn't done the research on pet food at that time (this was in 1985); and 3) Sasha had a very sensitive tummy and it is the only food that didn't give her the "poops". You haven't lived till you've had a keeshond with the poops! However, when we moved here to WA we did switch the dogs to Kirkland Lamb and Rice - which is what the vet here recommended. The Kirkland agreed with them - and it is much cheaper. For about 7 years I fed Nutro Natural Choice (not Max), alternating between Lamb and Rice and Chicken and Rice. It's what I fed my pregnant moms and recommended for my puppies. All the dogs have done well on it, but after I retired (and with so many dogs), I couldn't afford $38/bag - so went back to Kirkland (Costco brand). They all love it, they do well on it, and it's just about half the cost of Nutro. IF I can get another client (I had to start working again, as a caregiver), I want to go back to Nutro, as I can get it here in town - and there's no Costco locally. My daughter and son in law go to Costco fairly often and bring back 4 bags at a time, but I don't like to depend on them.
When I got my Romeo, his breeder fed Purina Pro Plan - and Roms came to me with an ear infection. After switching him to Nutro, he never had another ear infection. Many ear infections are caused by food allergies - and many dog food brands contain wheat and/or corn - both allergens for many dogs.
All I can say is "read the labels" - which is what I've learned to do.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
Eagle Pack is an A also. It's hard to come by where I am at, only one store sells it and I have to let her know I need it at least two weeks in advance so she can order it for me. It's the only food that Molly does not throw up on.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe is on Wellness and I'm happy with the score..... she seems to like it much more than the other brands, even Merrick (which is not in the list) and Canidae (which she liked, but I thought we should try another brand just in case).
We got stuck on Wellness and it seems like we both approve :thumbup:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm very particular about what I feed Jersey. The only time I've ever used Science Diet is when either Jersey or Amber had tummy issues and had to be on the special bland stuff the vet sells. Otherwise, I use Innova with some canned Merrick. I get some free samples of stuff at the pet store sometimes to give as treats while we train. There is a brand called Prairie that Jersey just loves. I'll have to rate that one and see how it fares.

The reason for my fussiness is due to issues I had with Amber. I fed her the crappy grocery store stuff when I first got her. She was my first dog and I didn't know any better. She kept getting itchy skin and losing her fur. My vet at that time diagnosed it as food allergies and suggested Innova (preservative free!). Amber did wonderfully on it. I realized how much of a difference a higher quality dog food made and I never looked back.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My simplified grading system works thusly, having read up and spoken to many people on the subject; Does the ingredients list...

...have anything corn based in the 'top 5': FAIL. Corn is nutritionally useless to dogs but commonly used to boost protein rating.

...have the word 'rendering' or 'by product' related to any ingredient on the list: FAIL. These are also a protein rating booster, this time from random animal scraps that have no confirmed origin (use your imagination).

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Jeff - years ago when I lost my beautiful Max, a chow cross, and asked the vet what I could do with him (he said it was illegal to bury him in the yard), cremation was out of the question, as the crematorium wasn't open, the vet said we could have him "rendered" - told him that wasn't an option for me. Maxie is buried in my yard - two police officers (both neighbors) watched and no one said a word. One of the things I HATE is that I often see huge PURINA TANK TRUCKS going down the highway - and I know what's in them and where it's going. I don't want my dogs eating road kill, euthanized animals (complete with the flea collars and tags), or the other "goodies" that they put in most dog foods - don't think they NEED to eat feet and feathers! I may eat a lot of Ramen noodles, but I agree with you about the ingredients! My dogs get the best I can give them.

·
Registered
250 Posts
diesel is now on Nutro Natural Choice Chicken, Rice, and Oatmeal he used to be on purina but he just wouldnt eat. i thought it was because it was the first few days home and he was a little stressed out from being away from his mother... but after he settled in he still would not eat his food...

so i went to the local pet store and asked some questions. they directed me to nutro and he has loved it ever since. every time he hears the food hit his bowl he comes running..

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'll add another positive voice for Wellness. We add a little warm water to his bowl (to make a small amount of gravy and enhance the smell) and Hunter demolishes it.

Then again, Hunter would probably eat thumb tacks if we put them in his bowl (we don't do that), so its hard to tell what he "likes" and "doesn't like." But his energy level and coat are great, and I like knowing they use quality ingredients.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Hunter's Dad:
I'll add another positive voice for Wellness. We add a little warm water to his bowl (to make a small amount of gravy and enhance the smell) and Hunter demolishes it.

Then again, Hunter would probably eat thumb tacks if we put them in his bowl (we don't do that), so its hard to tell what he "likes" and "doesn't like." But his energy level and coat are great, and I like knowing they use quality ingredients.
Energy and health is really what it comes down to when picking 'good' food for your dog. Most dogs would eat just about anything you put in their bowl, especially since they have no alternative. Eating well for a dog means no 'sugar rush' from processed ingredients, no gas or excessive trips to the bathroom from useless fillers, plenty of energy for all their chasing chewing barking etc., and a soft healthy coat.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Has anyone heard of Blue Buffalo Brand....I have only seen it at Petsmart.....I was planning on moving my beags off of Science Diet (which my beags have done well on)to the Blue Buffalo brand when Petsmart opens up near me.....I looked at the ingredients and it looked very good to me.....Any Opinions?????

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
I haven't tried Blue Buffalo but I did take a quick look at it and I agree that the ingredients seemed pretty good. You might want to get the ingredients off their website and see how it does on the rating scale Glenda posted above.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
There are MANY GOOD brands of dog food - Wellness is one of the better ones from all reports. I've never used it, because there is no local distributor for it. I've never heard of Blue Buffalo, but then I'm in the "boonies". Flint River Ranch I've heard is good - but again, I can't get it here. I have to go with the best available to me locally, and at a price I can afford for 10 dogs.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Hey GC!

Some people under estimate what diet can and will do for dogs.

My little dog Cherry (chi x) had a rash all over her body for 7 or more years. We tried everything possible to get rid of it, but only regular trips to the vet to have cortizone (a steroid) would help.

Last year I changed all the dogs over to Royal Canin dried food (as well as bones etc) and no more rash! It is amazing!

Whilst everyone has their own opinion on what is good food and what is bad, the BEST food for your dog is the FOOD YOUR DOG DOES BEST ON!

I love Royal Canin and do recommend it as a super premium dried food all of the time. But my dogs love it and do well on it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts