Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got Chloe a kong about 2 weeks ago, and loved it! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif
I immidiately bought a new one, for excessive chewers, hopefully it will hold a little more than 2 weeks :thumbup: .

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Hehe! Lucky has never tried to chew up his red Kong. Which is weird because he chews up everything else. He just gets mad at his Kong when he can't get the stuff out and throws it around. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif Chloe will hopefully not chew up this new one! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
I often wondered whether dogs could destroy Kongs, now I know! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just mix the PB with a few bits from her chicken flavoured treats and some bits from her food (Eukanuba).... she goes wild when she sees it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Oh my goodness... Maggie is a terrible chewer, and has never managed to destroy her kong. I put everything in her Kong. Sometimes I coat the inside with non fat cream cheese, squeeze cheese or peanut butter, and then add a little kibble and freeze it. Sometimes I put in canned food or pieces of chicken, rice and veggies. I try to adjust her meal size accordingly. Freezing really increases the time it takes her to get the food. She has learned to throw the Kong on the kitchen floor to release bits of food. She tips her head up and throws it down as hard as she can. She will also drop it from the back of the couch and if she is really desperate she throws it on my lap and looks at me with sad eyes.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
That is too funny. Surprisingly, Duke has not managed to destroy a toy yet.....but he's still young.

He got a new squeaky toy yesterday and has not let it out of his sight. If he sees one of the labs going near it, he runs over and grabs it and takes off.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha.... chloe is posessive of her toys too... even when she won't play with them, no one is allowed to hold them.... she actually wakes me up every morning with the squeeks.... my sister is visiting and it's driving her nuts /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Hopefully the new kong (the black and tough one :cool2: ) will survive her jaws :hysterical:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Zookeeper:
Duke has not managed to destroy a toy yet.....but he's still young.

Wow... This will change. My Josie goes through a squeky toy about every two days. And if it's a furry squeky, it'll last about 10 minutes - she doesn't even want to play with it, she just wants to destroy it. She hasn't managed to get through her Kong yet, but she only gets that when she's left alone which isn't very often.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
Oh yes, sound familiar. Charlie chewed around the hole try to make it bigger. :biglaugh:
I had this tumbler, you fill it with small treat bites, Charlie had to roll and tumble it, if it falls on a right angle then a piece of treat will fall out the hole. It takes time and patience which Charlie does not have. He had chewed off the hole so big that no need for him to tumble. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
wow .... she chewed up a kong /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

I thought those were indestructible. Even my lab who is constantly chewing hasn't gotten through one. I fill hers with yogurt and treats and freeze it for when I am gone. When I get home it is usually licked clean and ready for reloading.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was thinking about getting my mutts a couple kongs, what can I fill it with?? They will be on an 8 hour flight so it has to be interesting. Suzy recently killed her little blue gorilla. She pulled all of the stuffing out and spread it around the house!
Beau plays really rough with his toys. The only thing that has withstood the test of time is the XL ropes that are braided. Nothing that is stuffed or makes noise...will the kong survive?

·
Registered
889 Posts
This story reminded me that we brought a new Kong a month ago and I have not yet given it to the beags. I am not even sure where I put it /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/confused.gif I had better go and find it as there old Kong is looking a bit worse for wear. :freak:

·
Registered
794 Posts
Georgia loves her Kongs, Polly destroys them. Polly doesn't have as long as a tongue as Georgia, so sometimes she leaves leftovers in hers--for Gerogia!! :hi:

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jersey is a Kong killer too. The red ones don't last at all. As soon as Jersey gets the filling out, she rips the Kong up. The black ones have a somewhat longer life span. One time I made the mistake of buying one of the the teal puppy ones. That one didn't even last long enough for her to get all of the peanut butter out. LOL!

As for fillings, you can pretty much put anything you want in there. I've used shredded cheese, peanut butter, mashed potatoes, scrambled eggs, canned dog food, cream cheese...
Their website has a lot of recipes to use in the Kongs. Here's a link for anyone interested.

Kong Recipes

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sammy can chew up a red kong( the one with a big hole and a small hole) in a couple of weeks. The red one that looks like a bone in one day. The red round one with all of the grooves has held up quite a while, but we don't use that one as often, so she leaves it alone. We bought a black extreme kong and it has lasted a few weeks, but is showing some wear.
As far as other toys go, she really loves anything with a squeaker, and usually shreds it within minutes. We got her one of those Loofah long skinny surfer looking dude and after she chewed his clothes off, it actually lasted for about 3 weeks.
We are convinced there is no beagle proof toy. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
BTW her favorite filling is peanut butter, and sometimes she gets banana mixed with it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I am going to buy two kongs, a large red one for Suzy and a large black one for Beau. Would it be a good idea to put frozen canned food in it and give that to them at 6:30 A and leave them with it until 12ish?? Or should they be supervised? Because knowing my luck they may try and eat the kong /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
That's what I do, and nothing happens to it, it just helps with Chloe... she doesn't cry when I leave the house, it's keeping her busy, also when I need to do things and don't want her to get in the way... she gets very clingy and always want's to be with me... :heart:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts