Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This week is the start of a test....
i will be leaving her alone for about 3 hours in the mornings.
So far we've gone out for 1 hr increments a few times and left her in her crate with the tv on and when we come back she is calm and napping (wonder how long she cried for though!)....
she's just over 3 months old now... is this 3 hr period going to be ok (or even good!) for her?
also... how old r they when they stop being so squirmy and hyper hyper HYPER!??? haha
thanks again!!!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
I think 3 hours is fine to leave her. We used to leave ours half a day, then someone would come home at lunch time and let them out for a bit.

You have a while before the squirmy, hyperness goes away I'm afraid. Enjoy it while you can. Ours at age 8 are pretty calm for the most part.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The rule I was given with puppies was age in months +1 for how many hours they can be left between potty breaks. So 3 hours is fine, and a great way to start the separation process. Lucy and Flora were crated all day in their younger years, and it never bothered them. Even before Flora, Lucy was fine. Not all beagles get worked up about being alone.

Keep up the good work.
Sylvia

·
Registered
114 Posts
The months +1 is a good rule of thumb but I wouldn't take it as fact. What I mean is, don't get upset if it doesn't apply to your dog. Scout didn't exactly adhere to the months +1 rule. Sometimes, like at 4 months, she would be left for 2 hours and we would come back to a wet crate. But sometimes it would be dry. I think its still iffy up to about 9 months. In our case we had no choice but to leave Scout in the mornings and afternoons because we both work. She eventually got the hang of it, but she peed in her crate for a while, probably until she was about 5 months. And it was no more than 4 hours. So the months +1 didn't really hold true all the time.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok great thanks for the advice!
i think as long as she has something to do in there she will be fine. I just worry about her being super bored!
chew toys!!! i can imagine how boring that MUST be and it makes me feel guilty heh. but yes most people really don't have that choice. she's peed in her crate before so here's hopin!

·
Registered
862 Posts
I agree with the others. Three-four hrs. was just about the length of time Boeing was sometimes left alone at home when he was young. I always gave him some toys to keep him occupied and I kept telling him: Wait. I'll be back. As he grew older, he seemed less and less fussy about being left alone. Now we can leave the house with Boeing looking out the window at us like he couldn't care less

·
Registered
50 Posts
Our Zbój sleeps in a crate all night long without wetting it. During the day... well I keep taking him to work with me (he sleeps under my desk) cause he's still very young - 2 months old. However in the evening, I usually put him in the crate for an hour or two so that he's accustomed with being alone... So far so good, he didn't wet it even once

Funny thing though - he woke us up at 5am to go outside the first two days. The third night i closed the blinds and drapes and I put a blanket over his crate to cheat him into thinking it's still night. And it actually worked!!! Now we can easily sleep till 7-7.30

·
Registered
110 Posts
I think 3 hours is fine and Maggie didn't calm down until she was 1 1/2 years. One day she just woke up and stopped chewing stuff up and being so anxious. It was literally overnight! Good luck!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
haha wow thanks

it's ok.... i know she'll keep chewing stuff .. i have my spray bottle handy but i sorta know its a puppy thing so i mostly just laugh and enjoy it as best i as i can

she's so funny i can't help but laugh at most of the things she does! but she knows when i'm serious :p
well i'm starting tomorrow with leaving her alone.. she'll be alone for only 2 hrs tomorrow so that'll be a good ease in. hopefully it goes well! thanks again

·
Registered
605 Posts
I wouldn't feel too guilty about leaving her in the crate since most dogs sleep more hours than they're awake! Even when Henry is loose in the house, he wanders around very little, mostly staying in the living room or on the back deck with his toys. Or, he finds a patch of sun and naps. Crates, closed doors, and baby gates are a great way to teach a pup boundaries and how to be comfortable while alone or stuck indoors on a rainy day.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ya its hard to get a puppy used to that stuff i find! but i know she needs to !
so far she doesn't sleep very much... 7 hrs a night maybe and like 4 hrs a day...not bad i guess. just too much puppy energy

thanks again! wound up not having to test it out today because i called in sick haha. but tomorrow ! hopefully will go well

1 - 13 of 13 Posts