Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Denise, was the kong to help ease Baxter's Separation Anxiety? I'm not too sure, but I don't think there's a quick fix for that. I think consistent positive reinforcement, training, exercise, and a schedule will help Baxter in the long run. I've been working on Java for the past 9 months and he's just starting to show some improvements in the recent month.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Denise, I'm not sure what you were using the Kong for, if it was for some specific training, or just a fun toy. But I wanted to tell you that Kong didn't work for Shiloh and me either!! I felt like a dummy; here was everyone else singing the praises of the Kong, and my Shiloh wasn't interested at all! I would load it with treats, throw it, she would sniff at it, but never was very interested in trying to get the food out. Not that treats aren't a big motivator for her, usually, but the Kong just wasn't her idea of a fun time. So please don't be discouraged--they just don't work for everybody.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Monty isn't to fond of the Kong either. He had really bad seperation anxiety when he was younger too. He hated being in his crate and would cry till the neighbors complained. I felt like a terrible mommy! But, i stuck to it, bribing him to go in his crate. sometimes when i was home, i would crawl in his crate with him and just read while he napped. it took awhile, but he got used to being in there. Have you tried feeding him in there, so he knows it's HIS space? blankets or a t-shirt with your scent? Leaving music or a tv on for him?

Hope some of these suggestions help. Try not to get discouraged, it takes time. It took Monty a few months to be comfortable with being home alone. The music does help, i think.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am sorry for the attitude earlier.. I actually came back to delete the post above, but i cant now.

Ok I am not giving up. I was super frustrated the other day. I had alot to do and felt so bad about Baxter and his crate. there are some days I *HAVE* to be gone. And watching and hearing him makes me sad, mad, frustrated.
Add to the mix that my neighbor saw me and complained about Baxter's crying. And that I had better get him under control.

More about the Kong...he loved it at first. (first 30 seconds)LOL but when he didnt instantly get the treat he made a funny whine and started in on the barking/crying.
I think the kong frustrated him more.

·
Registered
220 Posts
it's ok....we've all been there. The point where you just want to run around the block pulling your hair, or tell the sweet lady next door where to go! Just remember that he WILL grow out of it!! It's not going to happen overnight, but over time, it will get better. Me and Monty will keep you in our thoughts

·
Registered
250 Posts
try just more than the kong... when i put diesel in his crate i load it with toys so he has tons of stuff to keep him busy... so a kong and a rope and some blankets and his tire... (fake tire but its for those super chewers who destroy stuff in seconds) when he was young he would sleep with me at night so i would just take the shirt i wore to bed and put it in there also. so it had his scent and mine on it... he cried a lot for the first little bit but praise and reward and tons of toys and treats wins him over in the end.

·
Registered
400 Posts
lol, dieselbabe, i though the fake tire was tough, but Java managed to tear that apart within 3 months. he's a persistent little fella.

·
Registered
837 Posts
If the barking is particularly bad, have you thought of trying an AirJet collar? it's like a citronella collar but safer for the dogs because it just spurts air on the dogs neck. Apparently the success rate is about 85% - and it works quite well on beagles.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey there, I wasn't sure if this was needing help with seperation anxiety or a toy. But, Cooper had horrible seperation anxiety. He ripped up my carpet in 5 different places, chewed on all my funiture, just went crazy when we left. I tried giving him toys to keep him busy, leave the tv on, etc. My neighbors complained all the time that he did nothing but bark and cry all day long.

I took him to the vet and it took a while, but we finally let the vet give us some medication. It doesn't make him tired and it didn't change his personality. It helped with the hormone that causes him to stress out when we leave. He has made crazy improvement since we started this 2 months ago. He is such a good dog, always was, he just needed a bit of a push. I went through all of that for 8 1/2 months before we went with the daily pill. It really is amazing.

I hope things get better soon!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe didn't know what to do with the kong at first either.
I just played with her with it, and then she took to it gradually. I also learned that filling it with extremely high value treats and stuff they love helps. Beagles are food motivated, and they would do ANYTHING to get their beloved food.

I personally stuff mainly with different sausages and peanut butter. Chloe adores it, and I think that if it would be up to her, she would probably kick me in the butt on my way out. Only if it's stuffed the way she likes it, that is

·
Registered
14 Posts
My dog could care less about the kong. My neighbor's mutt however, loves it so I gave it to them. Remy likes stuffed animals and knotted up towels more than rubber toys.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I should have said earlier that i have put all of his favorite toys, kong, new toys etc in his crate when i go.

And also, he LOVES his crate at night and during the day when he naps. He freely goes in and out and when told to kennel up does so willingly.

He is a puzzle!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Chloe loves her crate too, but not when I'm not around.
Try not leaving him with too many toys: the kong and 2-3 more are enough, just so he won't get confused and tired of them quickly.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts