Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I took my hounds for their regular walk on the beach.I let them off lead at the usual spot and walked down the sand dune.
To my suprise,and their delight someone had pitched a tent a the bottom of the dune. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gifI managed to remove three noses from the tent door and continued on our walk.
A bit further along Griffin decided to climb up some rocks and hightail it in the opposite direction. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/classic-smiley-11.gifNow for a 12 year old he can run fast,and I had no hope of catching him.His nose was down and his tail wagging like mad.
I shouted but was ignored so had to set off in pursuit.I called the Bassets and Rupert came but Precious decided the Rabbits on the dunes were much more fun /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eyes.gif
I had to leave her to it as Griffin does not hear or see to well and easily gets disorientated.After about 5 minutes I got his attention and captured him,called Rupert and went back to find Precious who was still on the dunes chasing bunnies. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/walk.gif
This afternoon they are all staying on their leads.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Vonny, you are MUCH braver than I would be. I NEVER (deliberately) let my kids off leash when they're not in their fenced yard. I've been fortunate no one has "escaped" for several years - but it's scary - and now with 9 I don't know how I'd ever "recapture" them.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally Posted By: GlendaVonny, you are MUCH braver than I would be. I NEVER (deliberately) let my kids off leash when they're not in their fenced yard. I've been fortunate no one has "escaped" for several years - but it's scary - and now with 9 I don't know how I'd ever "recapture" them.
I always let them off,we do have a few scarey moments but usually they are fine.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Woo hoo what fun they all had and you I'm sure Vonny /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

I let Rosa off, she's very obedient for a Beagle. Sherry is much better at coming back to me now but I still don't trust her enough to let her off. She can run very fast even for a 10 year old with a heart condition and I'd never keep up with her.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
There is only one place I can feel kinda okay letting Chloe off the leash, and that's at the park by the house. I would never let a Beagle off the lead if I had more than one.... With Chloe I still watch her and won't let her out of my sight. My friends at the park are used to talking to me without me looking at them /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/lol2.gif

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Right or wrong I have always let my hounds off the lead in certain areas.I do not let them run near roads but feel that they should be allowed some freedom.I have had a few scarey moments but they have all survived and lived to tell the tale.
Dylan even managed a 2 hour fox chase when he was terminally ill with cancer.
I cannot imagine having to keep them on the lead all the time so I will continue to let them run.They are reasonably well trained and do have plenty of scope where we live as we are not near any busy roads.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts