Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's amazing how life can change instantly and sadly that is what has happened to us. My elderly parents who live in Australia have taken very ill - my mum with cancer and undergoing chemo and slap bang in the middle of this my dad has had a stroke. So, my parents need me and of course, I am in another country. The hardest thing I have ever had to do in my life is make the decision to give up my precious Penny and Tuppence so that I can take care of my parents (I am their only child).

Unfortunately, we had to split our girls - we had plenty of offers for one or the other, but not (a sensible offer) for both together. Penny went the day before yesterday and I have cried now for two days - I miss her so much. Penny helped to fill an empty space in my heart when our only child left home - I was a classic empty nester. However, I can take heart that Penny is helping to heal another sad heart. She has gone to a family who within a short space of time lost both their Father and their family dog (of 14 years) and had a big hole to fill in their lives - Penny has another purpose now because their son needs her to love and to be loved by her. It was such a bitter sweet moment when I saw the love in this young teenage boy's eyes the minute he saw Penny - I knew they were the perfect match.

Tuppence is going this afternoon to a lovely family whose young daughter absolutely adores Tuppence. Their family dog of many years passed away on Christmas Day. Again, another perfect match.

I cannot tell you how sad it feels and the immense guilt that goes with parting with my girls. I have to just keep telling myself that they are loved and have wonderful new lives ahead of them.

I know it will take a while for the sadness to go away. At the moment I feel like a blubbering idiot. I have loved sharing my Penny Beagle stories with you and reading your stories about your beautiful Beagle Babies. So, please give your beautiful hounds a big hug from me.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I read this through tears, I am so sorry to hear of your situation.
Prayers and positive thoughts for you, your parents, and Penny & Tuppence.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I can't imagine having to give up our two babies, so I can only imagine what you're going through on top of your parents situation. I pray for a quick recovery for your family and that Penny and Tuppence will settle in with their new families. It sounds like they will be the perfect medicine for the homes that they've gone too.

Maybe their new families can keep us all posted here?

·
Registered
35 Posts
=(...I wish you the best and I hope everything works out for your parents, you, your doggies, and the families they went to. Beagles have huge hearts and so do you.

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
I am so sorry you ended up having to give up your girls with no other way out.

Been there done that, just take comfort in the fact you have done the best for them in bad circumstances. My marriage breakup cost me my dogs and I still miss them and wish there had been another way. I cant look at photos anymore and I still have their tags. I just pray they are happy in their new homes but if I ever had the ooportunity to have them back I would in a heartbeat.

I hope you get another dog later on when you are able with your life. Please take care of you you sound like an amazing caring person.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My prayers and thoughts are with you, your parents and the girls. Both girls have a new home that sounds loving. Bless you

·
Registered
118 Posts
Had to read this twice, wasn't quite up to replying the first time...not so good at choked up tear typing. I give you all the credit in the world for making what had to be one of the most difficult decisions. What a wonderful mom you have been to Penny and Tuppence, even more so now for putting so much into finding loving homes with families that sound like they really need some puppy love.

My thoughts are with you, your parents, and Penny and Tuppence as you all take the next steps down the road ahead.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Big beagle tears and lots of cold nose hugs to you. My heart is aching for you....I've been the parent route, and it's not easy being the oldest and only. But to have to give up your best friends has got to make it even harder. You have my prayers, my heart, my thoughts, and many long distance hugs.

The good thing is of course, you found your girls wonderful loving homes. In that you can take good feelings....I'm so sorry.

·
Registered
28 Posts
This is a very sad situation.my Prayers are with You.You show unconditional Love for You'r Parent's &Pets. too find good Homes for the 2 must help some with You'r Pain.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Posting this while trying not to cry...

What an amazing sacrifice you have made for your parents. Taking care of them will present to you some trying times and you definitely have my prayers.

I, too, had to give up my beagle (Abby)...I can't even remotely imagine having to give up 2 dogs at once. It sounds like you did your best to keep them together and even more so that you did your homework to find them loving, wonderful, perfect-match homes. I will pray for you in this loss...and for those families as they adjust as well.

Please keep us updated..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts