Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some say it’s potty training, or just plain training in general. What do you think is the hardest part about being owned by beagles?

I’ll start… <span style="color: #990000">Weight control!</span>

Sadie is just a big stomach, with a good nose, floppy ears, and pleading brown eyes!

·
Registered
605 Posts
Thanks to his mix (I think), Henry is fairly biddable and listens well. But the hardest thing about being his mom is not being able to fully trust him off leash. I grew up with hunting spaniels and I have many happy memories of running home through the woods with my dogs close by. Henry is so so much better at recall because it really concerns me, but still...

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Remembering that I am supposed to be the boss! I see those eyes and that head tilt and my heart melts every time.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Hmm how about not being able to leave the table for a moment without your food being stolen off your plate, not being able to sit on the couch and eat without one of them jumping up next to you and helping themselves to the food on your plate or not being able to have the dogs outside at the same time as the kids if they are eating snacks, ice cream cones, popsicle or whatever because they will just jump up and take it right out of their little hands!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Originally Posted By: Beagle MomHmm how about not being able to leave the table for a moment without your food being stolen off your plate, not being able to sit on the couch and eat without one of them jumping up next to you and helping themselves to the food on your plate or not being able to have the dogs outside at the same time as the kids if they are eating snacks, ice cream cones, popsicle or whatever because they will just jump up and take it right out of their little hands!
Oh but they make the best vacuum cleaners when the kids are done eating too!!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hmmm, potty training? No, my dogs are really good about that, providing we see the signs. Training? No, I can get my dogs to do whatever I want as long as I have a treat in my hand. Recalling them off the leash? That was really tricky at first, but Floppy learned after a while, and Bella doesn't like to run more than 50 feet from us off leash. Food stealing? I agree, we must tag team when leaving the table, only one us must leave at a time. How about remote control stealing? I have lost over 5 remotes to Floppy, he seems to have a taste for electronics.
But....
And this comes after I lost a beagle, but I think the hardest part about beagles is knowing what to do at the slightest sign of illness. I would deal with all the above as long as I knew that the sneeze was too much sniffing in the dirt.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have had no problems with training him (he is super smart) and he picked up the ringing of the bell to go out within 2 weeks so I have to say not being able to allow him to be off leash in a non fenced in area. I can let my Pit Bull off with no problem but I'm scared to death to do that with my Beagle. He has a great recall but it would only take a scent of a rabbit or something and he would be gone.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Trying to keep their attention, when everything smells sooooo great!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I've got to echo what Beagletails said - Remembering that I am supposed to be the boss! I see those eyes and that head tilt and my heart melts every time

And I'll add another - trying to hide a treat in my pocket!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Training is no problem for me. Potty training was a breeze. Off lead no problems.

But FOOD!!! OMG they are such scavengers, anybody would think I starved them.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Originally Posted By: bpeeryTrying to keep their attention, when everything smells sooooo great!
Originally Posted By: theregalbeagleI've got to echo what Beagletails said - Remembering that I am supposed to be the boss! I see those eyes and that head tilt and my heart melts every time

And I'll add another - trying to hide a treat in my pocket!
I ditto both!!

Weight hasn't been an problem, unless trying to put some lbs on Chloe is the issue!!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Yup, I gotta agree on keeping your eye on your food & perhaps his stubborn ways especially like Beagletails said trying to remember that I am the boss when clearly it seems like he is.

·
Registered
421 Posts
for sophie, potty training went far easier than i expected.
for twitchy, she has at least one day per week when she gets a case of the stupids and forgets, or insists on going in the house instead of outside. my only grip with sophie is, when we are out, she gets distracted far too easily.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Hands down...the stubborn attitude!

Potty training went well.
Training is getting there with practice.
But the stubbornness to do whatever she pleases will never go away.

And it grates my nerves.
But you gotta love 'em!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Well, with us the biggest problem is Jersey's Separation Anxiety. It would be nice to be able to go out once in a while without finding a dog sitter. Jumping up on us is another issue, but that is tied to the SA as it's only an issue when we come home. And pulling on the leash when we walk. Heaven help the shoulder socket of whoever is on the other end of the leash if she catches a scent!

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
The hardest part about beagles is...

Trying to be mad and scold them for doing something naughty and they sit there giving you those cute looks. It's the part that frustrates me the most.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I'm thinking training in general. Beagles or mine anyway, don't seem to have that same I aim to please attitude. They are more attuned to what they want, when they want it, and if they have time, they'll get around to you. The leader of our training group here is always hesitant to take on older beagles (over 8 months, cause they have a pattern in their brain that she says is hard to change, but doable with the right master commands) So I'm going with training, potty, drop, stay, sit, whatever.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Stealing. Definately stealing. Menolly is shameless about it- she steals everything whether it'smine or someone elses,edible or not. She made it worse today when she stole an item when our landlord was over and he remarked she doesn't have enough toys!!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts