Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goss is now seven years old. So we are facing what has been a tradition in this household for many many years. The decision has been made and the appointment will be made sometimes this week. Goss will be castrated: No more joyful little Gossy greating us in the morning and running around the familyroom. Goss will never again be a Daddy. He has given us beautiful babies, pups that have grown to become just like him, pups that are loved by many families... This is it. No more.
Already we remember that special pup who use to escape from anything and anywhere, the one who loved cuddling for hours, and the one that looked at us with such interrogative eyes. We remember the one that got ill yet became the largest of the litter, and we also remember that little girl, so little, so sweet, who would pull anything apart in no time at all!
We remember also the look on Goss'face when visiting for the first time his new pups, the "licking sessions" he would have with his youngsters, and later, the games he would share with his toddlers. He has been a good Dad. All memories now...

Goss is seven. At seven, we also starts hunging the official vest and harness. No more working, no more tracking, no more scenting. From now on, it will be play time and rest time as he wishes, when he wishes... Goss will no longer be part of our rushed expeditions. Instead, he will come to the park. Goss will no longer take part in these endless journeys, by car or by plane. Instead, he will go on shopping car rides. Goss will no longer have to sniff for hours, on often dreadfull grounds, swampy or oily, too hot at time and freezing other time. Instead, he will be free sniffing the grass or the fresh snow tracking rabbits in the back of our property. He will no longer have to jump, crawl and climb on demand, no longer required to leave his warm bed in the middle of the night. He will no longer have to walk kilometers with no rewards at the end...
Goss is seven, and is going to learn life as a pet.

Goss is beginning to show his age. Not much, just a little. After all, 7 is not that old! But he has become calmer, slower, a little white on the chin, and so perfectly obedient! That on its own has to be a sign of age...
Not that I mind, I so love older Beagles! The abnoxious, illarious years are replaced by more docile ones. The troubles and imagination become wisdom. I should be pleased, and I am. Nevertheless, a certain nostalgy arises from the realisation that time has past by, that the page must be turned, that our thought will more easily be directed towards the younger one, the one who is trouble, the one who requires training, the one who works.

Goss is seven. Goss will be castrated and will retire soon. I will always be greatful for the years he gave us, for his dedication, his tireless efforts, for his need to make us proud.
Goss, you have done well, for us, for 7 years. Now, let see if we can do as well, for you, for the next seven years.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Go on Goss, enjoy your retirement! Good luck for the second half of his life.
:heart:

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Happy retirement Goss! Moosie is just about the same age and although his "nibblies" were removed long ago, we are also noticing how he is finally maturing a little bit over the past year - partly from the bit of gray around his muzzle but more that he is finally becoming a bit more responsible and less of a hellion... although he definitely still has his moments (but we wouldn't want it any other way)!

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
Enjoy your retirement, Goss!! Do you have a picture of him, Cheerio?

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Goss,
I feel for you. That "C" word is just so <shiver> final.

Enjoy your retirement. Mom will take extra care of you during the healing process.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts