Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so its now again time to get diesel a nail trimming

ever since he was a pup i have played with his teeth and ears and feet and all that fun stuff. and he is fine with me touching everything but his feet. what can i do to make this less stressful for me and him.. i still to this day play with his feet and i can say let me check and hold his paws and look at them. but as soon as i get those clippers out he runs.

i have only trimmed them once. mostly becuase i couldnt handel him.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I sing to Chloe when she is sitting on me, or when I'm petting her sometimes. I find it useful singing to her during baths, ear cleanings and meni/pedi

I do it pretty quickly too, so it's not bad.

·
Registered
890 Posts
My wife does most of the grooming so this is not my specialty. She has been putting paw balm on Tuckers pads when grooming. He likes the stuff so he lets her handle his paws when doing it. Of course she also brushes his teeth (he loves the toothpaste) and gives him a doggie breathmint as a reward when it is over.

Side note: he hates getting his ears cleaned too but he puts up with it for the treat at the end. When he gets his ears cleaned he raises up his lip like Elvis. I really need to get a picture of it and post it.

But try the paw balm. Tucker loves it and it has helped us be able to hold his paws. The pit bull across the street loves it too.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Where do you get this paw balm from? Petsmart? I've never heard of paw balm. I gotta try it because Dillon seems nervous whenever the vet's workers clip his nails. He tries to jerk his paws out of our hands but we do a good job of holding on to them.

·
Super Moderator
5,249 Posts
Ugh, I hate nail clipping time! I managed to get 4 of them done the other day and both Molly and I were exhausted from wrestling! One of my greyounds lets me do all the grooming to him like nails, ears, teeth etc and never even flinches. My other one is terrified of the nails so we just tip them when necssary. I like to have the greyhound rescue group clip them - they do a great job and the dogs are more relaxed when all their buddies are getting it done.

I don't think Molly's previous owner (she is a rescue) did any grooming to her at all.

·
Registered
890 Posts
My wife got paw balm from ShurePets. It is sort of like Avon for pets. She has seen it at PetsMart or Petco too. You might be able to find it online. I just googled Paw Balm and there was a lot of hits.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I will have to look for that when i get Baxter some food this week. He is so not into getting his nails clipped!
But he seems to really enjoy when I clean his ears! Goofy boy!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts