Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the same boat as Chloe's mom. I am really wanting to Squeegee a playmate. He is 8 months old and full of play and we only have so much time to give him... I play fetch and tug of war and the trick game and take him on walks but he still just stares at me with beagle eyes when I'm ready to sit down. He also gets really upset when we leave the house or even leave the room.

I really think another dog would be good for him. I'm wondering what downsides there are to having another one (aside from increased cost, of course). Right now he is the sweetest dog who loves to snuggle or be in your lap. That's one of the things we love most about him. Will that decrease when there are two? Any other advice? Thanks guys!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Since we're in the same boat
, I would like to share that after thinking about that too..... I really couldn't think of one justifiable downside to getting another Beagle (or another dog for that matter) apart from costs.

·
Registered
889 Posts
I have to agree with Eleanor, I think the only downside really is the cost. However, I would just make sure that the new dog that you get really gets along with your current dog. We had talked about getting a third beagle and so we tried out a female that was at one of the local rescues. The idea was to keep her for a couple of days and see how it went. Our dogs did NOT get along with her. We probably could have made it work and I'm sure after time they would have grown accustomed to each other, but we just decided to hang back and wait on getting a third.

But really, having two is great. They keep each other company when you're gone, etc. and it's double the love!!

I just thought of another downside though... they WILL team up when getting into trouble!
LOL

·
Registered
582 Posts
This subject keeps coming up, and I’ve avoided getting involved in it.
Returning Sparky to the rescue after trying to make it work for over a year, was the hardest thing I’ve ever had to do. He was a special dog with needs that Karen and I (and Sadie) weren’t equipped to handle.
There’s always a risk.

Having said that…
<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="color: #CC0000">Yes!</span> <span style="color: #CC33CC">Do it!</span> <span style="color: #CC9933">Get another one!</span> <span style="color: #009900">(I’m so jealous!)</span></span>
I think if I could talk with Sadie about it, she would say that she absolutely does not miss the stress that Sparky caused her, but she didn’t mind (too much) sharing us with him. She enjoyed the companionship, when he wasn’t being mean to her, and misses having someone to wrestle with, run around the yard with, and scent squirrels with.
What I would like to do is get a male puppy, (I miss having another guy in the pack.) but Karen won’t discuss it…
If I could just (Accidentally, of course.) get her around a puppy, or even better, a whole litter…
I know she’d cave.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I've had two dogs in the past and yes, cost is an issue, and so is time management and the extra care involved. I think I'm one of the few who does not want another dog; I'm a working college student who will be graduating in a couple of years to start my career. I'm 21 and have been working full time for 5 years now to make ends meet after a serious family illness 4 years ago. I pay for my own schooling and for Henry. I love that he's my only dog and I can spoil him rotten. I pride myself on him being very well behaved and social. He has lots of friends and playdates several times a week. I take him everywhere with me and we are almost always in sync. As much as I would love to rescue another, I just don't have the time or the dedication to make it work right now. Henry has the perfect life so I try not to guilt myself too much for him not having a live-in playmate. That's just my two cents, for what it's worth lol.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
When we first got Vi, there were jealousy issues......we were the ones jealous! The pups spent all their time together and we lost some of our Duke time. Also, Violet was so interested in Duke, she didn't have a lot to do with us at first. There were moments she wanted to cuddle (especially at bed time), but most of the time, she was all about Duke. To the point where it drove him crazy sometimes because he had no time to himself.

I'm happy to say that has changed a lot in the months since. Violet still harasses Duke endlessly, but not constantly anymore. She likes her mommy and daddy cuddle time and lets Duke have his mommy and daddy cuddle time. So at first it may seem like they are more into each other than you, but that will change with time and then you get a big bonus...double the love and fun!

·
Registered
582 Posts
Quote: I would just make sure that the new dog that you get really gets along with your current dog. We had talked about getting a third beagle and so we tried out a female that was at one of the local rescues. The idea was to keep her for a couple of days and see how it went. Our dogs did NOT get along with her. We probably could have made it work and I'm sure after time they would have grown accustomed to each other...
I agree with a trial period. Bringing your current dog along when meeting the potential addition to your pack isn’t enough to tell how they’re going to get along in your home, in the long run. Sniffing butts without signs of aggression, is only the first step.

Some things that you’d think would work themselves out over time, can get worse over time.
So, yeah… A trial period before committing your pack and your heart to the new addition is a really good idea.

·
Registered
114 Posts
When we got JoJo we took Jesie with us so that the two could meet. We were lucky as we knew that Jesie wouldn't have a problem in the world, she thinks that every breathing creature was put on this earth for her to love! Jodie was all over Jesie so we thought why not?

Best thing we ever did! Beagles and cockers are definately happier in a two dog house I find. Our costs have gone up but I find its really only vet costs, like vaccinations and the desexing. Food wise its only really a couple of dollars more a week.

At first I found it hard with two dogs. I'd never had two before but now I find it much easier. When I get home from work I walk the two of them and we have some play time but after that they amuse themselves which leaves me time to do fun stuff like washing and vacuuming!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Getting another dog involves considering:

- cost
- time management
- training - is your current dog where you want it to be in regards to training? because your 'work load' will increase two fold by bringing another dog into the mix and they often pick up bad habits from each other
- walking - do you feel you could walk two dogs together easily or would you walk one after the other? if your dog is a puller walking another dog can make this worse

Beagles are definitely better with another dog for company, but bringing another dog home definitely takes some careful consideration!

·
Registered
185 Posts
This is an interesting thread for me, as we just arranged to get our second.

Some facts about us:

1) Dangerously impulsive when it comes to pets. We got Luigi on a whim, and the new one (Whose name we're changing to Lola from her old name of Copper) melted our hearts on a pet store trip where we swore we were just going to look.

2) We back up that impulsiveness with a commitment. Once we've got em, we keep em and love em, so don't worry about us backing out

3) We live in a apartment without a yard. We have a small patch of grass out front, yes, but it's not good for anything but a spot for them to do their business on. This is a reason we wanted to add Lola...no place to play outside, but a big enough living room to romp around with a buddy...But is not having a lot of space an issue with 2?

4) We're a bit messy, and Luigi takes advantage of that. Right now his best buddy is the trash can. He's even figured out how to open it...Would he teach Lola this trick? Do we need to commit to keeping a cleaner apartment to prevent problems?

5) We're going to do a week trial. They've actually met. We came back home after arranging to get Lola, and decided to take Luigi to the dog park, and swung by the pet store where the organization was having it's adoption day. Lola was just on her way out the door to go to her foster home. They sniffed each other and seemed to get along ok. Luigi was a bit distracted by all the dogs and people coming and going, but when they focused on each other, they seemed to be getting along.

Wow, I rambled there. Anyhow, if you can answer my questions, it'd be a great help.

·
Registered
421 Posts
we were able to do a 24 hr sleepover with our new one, and it helped. so far, getting a 2nd has been a good idea. the only draw back i can see is, i need double the poop bags.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Having a second one has been great and overly irritating. They do team up. Ours get along really well, but it is like having two mexican jumping beans who are on 24/7.

The front yard where we HAD been putting them is now destroyed. Their rough housing and the rain last fall has turned it into a brown dead mud pit. They are, as of yesterday, out back now so the front yard can get a break. I re-seeded and fertilized yesterday.

It's nice to have a playmate for Josie. But it was much easier for it to be JUST Josie. The morning were easier, after work was easier, and night time was easier. Travel became a nuisance with two. Partly solved now with the crew cab truck.

I wouldn't trade Charlie in for the world, but looking back, we should have walked away. I like to take Joise out into the field we have where I am at on her bad girl leash (retractable) and let her go nuts running around. That has faded from every day to a couple times a week.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Ditto here...

The topic of getting another beagle has come up, but never been discussed much. And then while being at the Field Trials over the weekend we talked more about it. The breeder we got Bodie from will be doing another litter in a few months with the same dad. So we're seriously thinking about getting Bodie a sister.

We know it will cost more, more so in the beginning with the Puppy Plan, neutering, and additional pet supplies. But we've also already bought a lot of supplies, installed a dog run, etc. that will be used for both dogs. The training won't be much of an issue for us, we like doing that and it's a great time of year to do it.

I think the benefits with Bodie having a sister to play with out weight the cons. We give Bodie a ton of attention everyday and it's still not enough. So I think it would be good for both of them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I will echo the training issue. We had Chica pretty well trained before we got Monty, and it seems that has helped Monty with learning the ropes. Behavior wise, things have not changed a whole lot with Chica since Monty has arrived. She slept most of the day before, and sleeps most of the day now, but when we put them outside they will often play together.

Make sure you have a bottle of Nature's Miracle on hand if you get the second dog. Both of our beagles were adopted, and both had to be...uh...reminded...of the fact that they were housebroken for the first several months after we took them in.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Originally Posted By: Luigi88
4) We're a bit messy, and Luigi takes advantage of that. Right now his best buddy is the trash can. He's even figured out how to open it...Would he teach Lola this trick? Do we need to commit to keeping a cleaner apartment to prevent problems?
Having four inside dogs has trained me to keep things clean and tidy. I feel as though it really depends on the dog. Chloe will get into the trash can if I don't pick it up off the floor, but otherwise she and Bailey won't get into anything. Gabby and Jake, however, will get into EVERYTHING, including what is on top of the counter and the dining room table. Gabby can stand tall enough to reach.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I am also thinking about getting Buddy a little sister. Also Like Bodie, the breeder I got Buddy from is breeding his parents next month again and their litter will be available in June or July.

I am home with Buddy almost all day as i work from home. But it doesnt seem enough. I walk him 3 times a day and play catch with him but at night he still wants to play more before bed. Just yesterday I was outside washing my car and he was watching me from the window and he cried the whole 2 hours while i was outside.

Interestingly enough I was discussing getting another one with my Vet today and he seems to think if i get another one it would be bad because both of them will be crying and waiting for me while I am not home.

He is 6 months old already and trained pretty well. Hasn't had any accidents in the house for at least a month now. He goes to the door and rings his bell everytime he wants to go out.

I think anotherone would be great but I just dont know yet.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Blaze was our only dog for about two years. My kids used to dogsit the elderly schnauzer down the street and rather than leave her alone at her house we would bring her to our house while her owner were away. Blaze was always so sad for a couple days after Josie would go home that we began considering a second dog. We got Buster from a rescue group and we brought Blaze along to meet him at his foster mom's home. They got along well so Buster joined the family. Then about a year later we decided on beagle #3. We got Boomer from the same rescue group but this time we met the foster mom in the parking lot of a fast food restaurant so they all got to sniff each other and then loaded everybody back in the car. Amazingly, everybody gets along tremendously - even after adding dog #4.

Spridell - I think the opposite could be true, that a new pup would be just what Buddy needs to keep him from missing you so much. Maybe an older rescue?

I personally don't think I would ever have just one dog again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts