Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone...

i have a 15 week old beagle pup named abby and a 9 1/2 week old pup named stella and they keep fighting like crazy...im pretty new at the whole puppy raising thing so im a bit concerned...should i be?

thnx

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Sounds like normal puppy behavior to me. My dogs, who are 10 weeks apart in age and approaching 2 years old, still fight and wrestle like puppies. As long as there are no injuries and you never feel like they're really going to hurt each other, I say it's a good way to get two exhausted puppies who will sleep through the night.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Duke and Violet are both nearing 2 years old and they fight like crazy all the time. It's play fighting and never has a single drop of blood been shed. It's how they play and puppies especially like to play that way.

The best way to calm ours down is to wear them out! I walk them, play fetch with them, and provide enough exercise that they're nice and tired.

·
Registered
114 Posts
When I first brang JoJo home and watched her play with my other puppy Jesie I totally freaked out! I rang my mother in law in tears.

Jesie was 8 months old when we got JoJo and I had never heard Jesie growl. The first time Jesie and JoJo played together JoJo kept growling. I was so upset as I thought I had picked a nasty puppy.

My mother in law came over to see for herself (she has 30 years experience raising/training puppies) and told me that they were playing and there was nothing to worry about. Both dogs were wagging there tails like mad. I soon realised it was all play and stopped freaking out.

I had never had my own dogs until we got the girls, we'd always had family dogs so Mum had done all the training and stuff. It was defiantely an eye opener! I'd also never had two dogs at the one time before!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Bailey and Ruby play fight all the time. Ru wants to play more than Bailey. If he's had enough, he'll stick his head under the coffee table, or hide under the dining room table or his kennel. Or sometimes, he'll bark at Ru. Sometimes she still won't back off, and try to pull him out by the ear to play more. That's when I cut in. Or if the growling gets bad.

Just watch for signs from one or the other, and you'll get used to knowing when it's enough. Just make a loud high pitched noise to interrupt them. Works every time for me.

·
Registered
421 Posts
we used to have a lab/pit and a lab shepard. they were usually like brother and sister. every now and again they would get to playing around and make a little noise. all i ever had to do was look at them and <span style="font-style: italic">slightly</span> raise my voice and tell them i'm looking directly at you! and they would always settle down after that.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Our foursome play fight all the time. They growl, they bark, they attack each others legs, they have even grabbed at the neck of another and shook a little, but they are only playing and I don't discourage it. I've never even seen that one gets on the others nerves by wanting to play too much, but that may be since when one is done playing with another then they have 2 more dogs to choose from.

The youngsters (as we call them) Sulli and Tate are the most playful and bark the most during play. Sam (the old man) growls and acts like he is going to kill one of the others during play but hair isn't raised and teeth are never bared so I don't worry TOO much. lol Maya is not annoying to us people when she plays with the other dogs, but to the other dogs I can imagine they might get irritated since she has this habit of pawing at you when she wants attention or to play. She does it with human and animal alike. And she doesn't stop until you give in.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much. They're both young and playing rough is the norm. Unless one gets hurt or you see bad behavior like aggressive biting I'd let it be. Were they both brought into the home at the same time? If not, the first dog might be being a little dominate/aggressive. But at that early age it's hard to see that. But you never know.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I would say that beagles are one of the more playful breeds and love to roughhouse! My Henry's only half beagle but he is super friendly and loves other dogs. I think it's the hound mentality. Sounds to me like they're having a blast!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yep, my duo wrestle all day long if they're not interrupted by the smells of food. Keep an eye on them just in case, but unless you hear a yelp or see one with it's tail between their legs, they're both having massive amounts of FUN. It helps them build their muscles too.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I used to get worried like you are...they are trying to kill each other, until I got some information about puppies and how they are cared for by their mothers and taught about the world. They are taught to play like that, wrestle around, roll each other over, it's an alpha dog thing --- but then again, how else would they play? Our boys do the same thing, Cobi, the oldest puts up with Casie's puppy play and then walks away or if Case gets a little too bitey, Cobi will give him a sharp one in the neck...play stops until one decides it's worth the fun. I won't get concerned, I guess, unless I see blood or hear yipes.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Ditto on the typical puppy behavior. Just keep a close eye, when I got Coco his ears were scratched from the horseplaying he did with his brothers & sisters.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
My first dogs were a great dane mix and a shepherd -- I raised them together from puppyhood and I thought their play fighting was one of the joys of having two pups at the same time. They lived to be 15 years old and loved to nuzzle each other even in their senior years. As has been said, as you get to know them better, you will be able to easily distinguish between rough housing and when one has had enough. I think it will be pretty rare that you would have to intervene -- unless the noise gets to be too much for you! A loud hey will stop them ... at least for a few seconds. Enjoy them and take lots of pics!

·
Premium Member
2,799 Posts
We had 2 puppies at one time too. We got Sadie and Pooh Bear together as little puppies. They fought and wrestled and growled and carried on noisily. It is normal. Part of it is just playing. You can watch yours to be sure they aren't hurting each other. They may be trying to establish who will be alpha (lead dog)? Ours only hurt each other one time, one had a sore eye and the other had a sore ear. Ours are best buddies now at age 9 each. I actually miss the wrestling they did a pups.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts