Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bodie is 10 months old now. During the 8 months we've had him he's taken to his training and been a fairly good pooch. However, over the last week he has really been a handful. He's not listening as well as normal, he's destroying things he normally won't look twice at and he's being more aggressive during play. It's like he's going through a rebellious stage.

The instructor at his Intermediate training class says puppies will go through this stage between 1-2 years old. However, I haven't been able to find this in the two puppy books we have. So I'm curious if you've heard this before and can shed any more light on the topic. More specifically, how long with this last!

·
Registered
366 Posts
Winston is 11 months old and not nearly as trained as Bodie.
He was still pretty good despite that lack of training. (which we desparately work on everyday)

He's doing a lot of the same thing. De-stuffing pillows, running circles around the house, chewing everything and anything......and it all interferes with the training too.

I have 3 human teenagers. It can't possibly last as long as that chaos can it?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Totti just turned 15 months yesterday, and his teenage stage is now behind him- yay!!!

Totti went through it at about 9 months. He would snap at us, not listen to orders, basically do everything he wasn't supposed to. Thankfully, 5 adults including me live in my house, so we always caught him before he got into too much trouble and were able to reprimand him. It lasted maybe a month for us. My mom was worried sick Totti would be a biter and feared he would forever misbehave. He still has his days where he can be a total pain in the butt, but those are the days we just say he's in a good mood!

You just have to be firm with Bodie and let him know what he is doing is wrong when he misbehaves. He's testing his limits to see how far he can push- yes, the teenage period!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Cole is now 9 months old and we have noticed a considerable change in his behavior. Some destructive behaviors (never before present) are surfacing and some other little changes. However, he is responding to being corrected and knows when he is doing wrong!

·
Premium Member
1,667 Posts
Daisy went through that starting at about 9 or 10 months. It probably lasted until she was 14 or 15 months. She was a terror, and having Max around at the time didn't help. She always knew what she was doing wrong but she just didn't care enough to stop. Thankfully, she's better now. In fact, tonight she was pulling Max off of the furniture because she knows that they aren't allowed up there. LOL!

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Oh knowing that he is doing wrong does not stop Cole either but he knows he's been busted when I walk in. The skirt part of our sofa is almost entirely destroyed and the sofa isn't even a year old. I thought we were in the clear since he never did this before!! I am not going to get it fixed til I am sure he is over this crazy phase!!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Chuck is almost 11 months and we were the same. He was well behaved and just hit this rebellious stage about 3 months ago.
Ahh!! lol.

·
Registered
147 Posts
funny the details they leave out of the puppy books!!! They certainly do go through periods where they try and challenge you and it's just important to remain consistent in training.

Regal will be one the end of this month and the last two weeks I've really noticed him settling down.

·
Registered
504 Posts
And to think, Cassidy is 5 months and I just started leaving her in the house alone when I go to work...she even sleeps on the floor at night and doesn't bother anything. She just snores....I threw a pillow at her last night, lol, cause she woke me up snoring!

·
Registered
181 Posts
We adopted Ben when he was eight months old. We had a trifecta of issues stacked against us: he was getting used to a new family, he was entering the teenaged years, and he had no training in his former home.

The rebellious stage probably lasted from the time we got him at eight months until he was almost two.

He really calmed down after two. The difference is amazing.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
We went through the teenage stage also. I had been warned it would happen and didn't believe it until it did. Thankfully that is behind us and Maggie is mostly well behaved. Sometimes I miss the antics and then someone else in the family will ask if I am crazy.

·
Registered
350 Posts
run the hell out of him.
its what they need.
im talking 2 hours MINIMUM a day.
if you cant do that, then you will deal with a dog that is frustrated and has more energy than they know how to cope with.
C.

·
Registered
837 Posts
You might like to have a read of this Puppy Development Calendar:

http://www.dolforums.com.au/index.php?showtopic=117592

It is just a guide and can differ from pup to pup, I would suggest he is in his selective deafness period and is at that age where he wants to test the limits. All dogs go through this period, they are less likely to comply with known commands just to test the limits.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I have always considered beagle teenage years to be from 1 year up the end of their second year. Frani calls it the TERRIBLE TWOS (which Kali is in the middle of, she turned 2 March).

When Murphy and Summer turned 3... things calmed down. I've always been told that a beagle grows up and becomes a young adult. So only another 10 months or so of wild beagle antics... I hope.

·
Registered
392 Posts
snoopy for sure went through this stage...
i think she's FINALLY JUST getting over it
it started when she was about 8 months old (now she's a year & 2 months)... i thought she was completely back tracking
but i talked to my trainer, and yes, it's the normal teenage rebellion stage hehe. amazing how much like humans they are hey!

dogs aren't perfect either - they have good days and bad days, just like people.
i agree with the exercise though - the difference in behavior is amazing!

i think the rebellion, at least for me, was snoopy constantly testing her boundaries. she knew what she could or could not do because of the extensive training, but...she had to push all the boundaries there were haha.
silly puppies. good luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts