Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is not a problem for me, my two beagles can do no wrong but i don't understand why they have to dive and rub their bodies into every disgusting thing they encounter. yesterday at my studio they found a huge roach and once they killed it they both took turns rubbing their bodies into the carcase. why do they do this, anyone know? it's not the first time it's happened either. once my little beagle spent the better part of the afternoon (unknown to me until i got a good dose of the smell) rolling around in cat doo doo, yuck. why?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Maggie does this when we give her something she really doesn't want to eat. My daughter gave Maggie a little piece of orange yesterday and she rolled on it for 10 minutes. She finally ate it and then smelled like oranges all day. Not as bad as the things yours roll in, but I have always wondered why she does this.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I heard once that it is a hirarchy thing. The stronger you smell (whether its good smell or not), the more you are looked up to (in the doggy world), so maybe that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Yep, they are masking their scent. No good trying to hunt down a fox if you smell like a dog is there. So, they roll in fox poop, dead carcasses etc. so that their prey can't smell them coming. Clever eh!!

·
Registered
230 Posts
From what I know, this is not just a beagle thing, it is a dog thing. My uncle used to have a little mutt that would always roll on my aunt's shoes if she forgot to put them in the closet. She got lots of comments from the other relatives about her "stinky feet"!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts