Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have two beagles, who sleep in the hallway. They are gated from our room so they can't get in bed but can still see us. Ruby has a bed and free access in the hallway. Bailey is kenneled in the hallway because he's still prone to accidents at night. Come morning, the first time we stir at all in bed, the whining and barking starts. To them, that means that we are awake, and boy do they want out! Ruby whines in a high pitch and Bailey barks a loud throaty yelpy bark. It's hard to stay in bed once this noise starts. Once we get up and get ready with the gate still up, they immediately quiet down and wait patiently for the gate to come down. As long as we are physically out of bed, they know they'll be free soon. It would be nice to be able to sleep in sometimes, but I guess that will never happen. Anyone have similar experiences? Or any solutions to calming the morning anxiety? I fear that this just goes with the territory!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes similar, we keep our 2 downstairs, in a utility room, and can wake up anytime from 06.30 - 07.30. Would love that extra hour. The bitch scrapes at the floor and the door, but the dog, nar, just sleeps.

I am guessing the older they get the better, but not holding my beath..

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I know this all too well. Our dogs have gotten better about letting us (me) sleep in, but it's not perfect.

My boyfriend wakes up earlier in the mornings than I do. He gets up, showers, gets dressed, etc. So the dogs usually stir while he's up and have started to wake me up, lately by walking on my head, to get me to let them outside. I usually feed them when I'm up, too.

This morning, I stumbled out of bed with the dogs 30 minutes before my alarm and asked him to let them out and maybe feed them. I tried to get back to sleep, and I finally succeeded about 5 minutes before my alarm was to go off. The dogs had come back in and were curled up in bed with me. Then the alarm rang, and I shut it off and reset it for 20 minutes later (I wake up usually an hour and a half before I really must be out of the house). But Spock wouldn't let me rest. He walked on my head and pranced to the door. My boyfriend had not fed them, apparently. As soon as I fed them, they both went back to the bedroom, curled up under the blankets, and went back to sleep. Sigh.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Very similar here too. When the alarm goes off Tucker knows that I am supposed to get up. If I don't do it promptly he comes to the side of the bed and paws at the nightstand. Weekends throw him off because I don't always set the alarm. He just wakes me up when he feels it is the right time. He is very accurate.

I used to call Cleo my second alarm clock. She had an uncanny ability to know when it was 6am. To get us up she would paw at the bed, or play with the springy door stop (that is an anoying sound), or go in the living room and bark. She never barked in our bedroom, but she knew in order to get her to stop we had to get up, and while we were up, might as well get breakfast. If she ever didn't want to eat, call the vet!! she's really sick.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yep, Java's my personal alarm clock. He usually gets up, shakes off all his blankets (this usually causes his ears to flap around as loud as possible). That's usually followed by a quick stroll around the room, then climbing halfway onto my bed to start his stare/whine routine. It's cute--unless you had a late night.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Josie and Charlie will sleep in on the weekends. How late is dictated by when they went out last, but never past 8AM. During the week, they are brought out between 6:30 and 7:00 depending on when my GF gets up. Weekends, I usually just get up and take them out at 7AM. Lets her get some time to sleep in and lets me get some stuff done around the house. IF we had a late night, I may wait till 8AM, but thats rare. Strange thing is the alarm clock does not bother them at all.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
All four of ours definitely like to sleep in - which is good because we are not morning people, but bad because when we first got Booker we thought she would actually help us get up in the morning better! Her old owners said she was always the first one up in the household - at something crazy like 5 am in the morning - but the first morning she was with us we both dutifully got up early so we could take her out and she would have none of it! I remember standing beside her bed watching her sleep and wondering if something was wrong... but 8 years later I can say that she has NEVER gotten up at 5 am since! And her morning attitude seems to have rubbed off on everyone who has come along since - Popcorn in particular would now happily sleep in all day, I am sure, if we didn't force her to get up and start the day!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Originally Posted By: Brien & Bodie
That's funny. We have to drag Bodie outside in the mornings. He likes to sleep in.
sophie can be like that sometimes. most days though, when she sees me wake, she lays her head on the side of my bed expecting me to pet her and give her attention. she doesn't make noise though

·
Registered
582 Posts
Sadie sleeps on our bed with us. I get up at 4:00, to be at work by 6:00, four days a week.
Four o-clock is breakfast and potty time for Sadie. The other three days it’s the same, (Gotta stay on tummy-time!) but then we both go back to bed for a while.
She usually starts stirring around 3:30. By five minutes to four, she is standing on my back or chest, trying to get to my night stand. I’m convinced she is trying to reach my alarm clock so she can make it go off, and get me up.
Of course, after she eats, it’s time for more sleep. Her Mama tells me that when the alarm goes off for her a few hours later, Sadie lets out a loud groan, but doesn’t move.
Must be tough, being Sadie.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Ours sleep in, too. Matter of fact, I get up before Dave and when I'm showering, they stay in bed with him. Then after I get dressed and head to the kitchen for coffee, they follow me, but only because that's when Cassie gets her meds (in bread) and they all get a treat and go potty. They play around for a few minutes and back in bed with Daddy until he gets up.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Yup! Chloe is a sleeper too.
She will sleep in with me if she can. Working days - she is in bed until I finish getting ready and sometimes won't move a muscle before I rattle the leash for the morning walk.

She could sleep 23.5 hours a day if she could, this one!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Originally Posted By: Tucker's DadVery similar here too. When the alarm goes off Tucker knows that I am supposed to get up. If I don't do it promptly he comes to the side of the bed and paws at the nightstand. Weekends throw him off because I don't always set the alarm. He just wakes me up when he feels it is the right time. He is very accurate.
I will point out that as soon as he eats and goes outside, he takes over my spot in the bed and sleeps for several more hours. Also, we have a doggie door so he gets me up for food. He can go potty anytime he wants. If he has to go real bad, he will run outside, go a little bit, eat, then go outside again and finish the job. I have no idea how he can do that.

·
Registered
400 Posts
lol. Yep, one sure fire way to get them snoozing again is to feed them after you let them out. Beagles get food coma too

·
Registered
56 Posts
Usually Dillon will sleep all morning long as long as I'm still sleeping. I usually wake up around 9ish and I usually find half my beagle sticking out from under the covers still sleeping. Sometimes if I sleep a little too late like around 10ish and Dillon needing to go to his bathroom outside, he'll come around to my bed's headboard and rest his head on my top of my neck. Usually that wakes me up. He once tried waking me up and I ignored him, so he got on top of me and laid down on top of me and hoped his weight would finally get me up. When I woke up I said, Dillon, what are you doing on top of me? He gave me the look that obviously said, Well, it's about damn time you woke up. lol

·
Registered
56 Posts
Originally Posted By: Tucker's Dadhe takes over my spot in the bed and sleeps for several more hours.
lol My Dillon is the same way. When I get up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom, Dillon will wake up and move over to my very warm spot on the bed and goes back to sleep there. And when I return to bed from the bathroom, I'd find Dillon in my spot and I'd say, Dillon, you've stolen my spot now move over. Dillon gives me the look that says, Well Dad, you moved. So that's too bad! lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts