Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, yesterday was fun. Sleet, snow, freezing rain, beagles on the rampage, etc.

While I was at work, my wife had the option to work from home (it must be nice). While she was home she took some time to clean out the fridge. In the refuse was a open, almost full, large bag of pepperoni. My wife closes the bag and put it in the laundry room. Her intention was to take it out to the can once the weather let up. Some how the door got left open and Murphy and Summer decided that this bag was too heavy to lift safely. Being small dogs (not any more) they could only remove one thing, the pepperoni bag seem like the perfect choice. The problem was the bag was closed. Lacking fingers, they did the next best thing, shred the trash bag. Since the pepperoni wasn't in sight, they had to dig for it. By the time my wife noticed that two beagles were missing, their effort to save my wife from lifting that heavy bag was complete. 1.5 pounds (.68 kg) of pepperoni was gone and the laundry room is a mess. When I get home, I am told "MY beagles have been bad." To make things worse, both were gassy the rest of the night.

Wait... It gets better. Have I mentioned that Murphy's meds not only make him thirsty, but VERY hungry? If not, consider yourself told. Murphy, now shaped like a battleship again, is still hungry and thirsty. He is so large, I have a very hard time expressing his bladder. Every time I put down water, Summer barely gets any. Murphy just suck it down. We have resorted to a second water bowl where Murphy can't reach it but Summer can. Now, its time for bed. Murphy and Summer get their bed time treat and out go the lights. Half an hour later, Murphy jumps down from the bed and starts pawing the bed hard. Does he have to go outside? No. He is hungry and thirsty and refuses to accept NO for an answer. So he paws the bed for 3 hours. I finally concede and I give him some water, but no food. Again, he continuously paws the bed. So at around 1:00AM I open the bedroom do and tell he to do what he wants. He immediately runs downstairs. I finally doze off. Not soon after, I am awakened by the sound of claws on wood. That would be Murphy's claws on our wood cabinets. He was trying to get to food on the counter THAT WAS NOT THERE. I went down stairs, picked him up, showed him there is nothing there to eat and took him back upstairs. He finally fell asleep after 4:30AM.

·
Registered
540 Posts
So sorry, but I had to laugh out loud. What a mess!!!!! And what a night. Good luck tonight.

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
:sign20:

What a funny story!
I'm just glad Charlie is not that hungry that keep me awake.

Charlie mom

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
Silly Beagles! I bet those pepperonis were yummy too! Poor Murphy though. He's a beagle so already wants to eat everything then he's on meds that make him more hungry...poor thing! I'm sorry you didn't get much sleep!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
rut roh Murphy /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

It must be hard to say no to him when you know it's the meds that are making him that way.

I had to laugh as I have lived the garbage shredding scenario numerous times :biglaugh: sorry Frannie...

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
OMG /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif it's lucky that they are both OK because Rosa would be "as sick as a dog" as they say after eating that much pepperoni.

It did make me chuckle though because Lilly was a one for managing to steal food then spend all night wanting water or wanting to go outside to go potty after potty :rolleyes:

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Oh dear, so sorry MD, our furry kids really keep us busy. I normally cant get up early, but the moment our furry kids stir I am awake!!!! hope you get a good nights sleep tonight.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm surprised Murph hadn't opened the refrigerator and eaten the pepperoni to save you all the effort of throwing it out! I truly hope tonight is less eventful and you all get to catch up on your sleep.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I think we can all relate to that story MD!!

My Harley has to sleep near me all night, and I get so tired at night, but if he wants under the covers to sleep by my feet, he will keep nudging and nudging and head butting me until I wake up enough to hold the cover up for him!

I guess I keep dog food out all the time here, hard food anyhow. At least a cup full in there most all the time. During the day while we are all gone the beags are outside anyhow, so I figure night time is the time to fill up to stay warm!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Judi And the gang

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Summer and Murphy really like to make some trouble don't they? They must keep you guys on your toes. :biglaugh: And as for Murphy's night time antics? Well, I will never again complain when Jersey needs to pee at 2 a.m. I now realize it could be so much worse. :smack:

·
Registered
991 Posts
OH does this sound like the same song just a different verse. Austin gets the squeaky rumbley tummy hungries at night and there is no ignoring them. He does his Irish Step Dancing routine and then adds the vocals just in case I might still have any hope of going back to sleep. This also gets his roommates up and interested in case there might be even the smallest possibility that food might be involved. Strength in numbers - 3 Beagles against me! :evilgrin: Unfortunately what he is craving is grass - usually about a 15 minutes of munching in the back yards while I stand guard that no critter decides to make a munchie out of him. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif As soon as the squeeky tummy noises start, Austin and I go to the kitchen were he gets about 10 pieces of his dry kibble and good pinch of shredded coconut. And, it seems to work!!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/sleep.gif :doh:

·
Premium Member
1,827 Posts
way to go Murphy a proper beagle!!!

I think the score is Murphy One, a tired Joe Nil!!

Foxy roo is always hungry and would be the size of a house if she ate what she wanted!!!

Hope hes ok now?

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
U are lucky it was not a can of bacon grease like Snapper found! "Talk about the runs"! Snapper slept ouside for several nites after that! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh, my! I have a vivid mental picture of Murphy and Summer working on that trash bag. I'm sure it's not that funny to you, but it's funny to read about. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

I think you said that Murphy's taking prednisone. That will make him hungry and thirsty. We once had a dog with cancer who was on a pretty strong dose of prednisone, and she actually went into a bathroom and ate a bar of soap once. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif Bless her, she was getting plenty to eat, but the meds made her feel hungry. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif Hopefully, Murphy will be able to come off the prednisone before too long.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Poor MD, but........ :lol2: Really love your 'battleship' description /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

1 - 16 of 16 Posts