Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just before bernie had come to me, in a box,but thats another story, i had a lab named scooby. scooby was diagnosed with cancer, and his health was fading. bernie was about 2 1/2 months old at this time. he loved scooby a bunch. scooby was "cool and a big dog". i was shaving one morning and lil bernie was jumping up and trying to grab scooby's ears. every so often he managed to clamp down on one and swing. poor scoob would yelp and try to get away. i knew scooby didnt feel so good, but it was cute. i honestly think ole scooby liked bernie too. so im shaving and bernie is barking up a storm at scooby, just around the corner. non stop, yap yap yap. i didnt pay much attention to the fact that the yapping had stopped as i was finishing up and washing off my face. "oh crap" as i dried off my face, i looked around the corner. there set scooby, with lil bernie dangling from his mouth. the funny part was that only bernies head was in scoobys mouth. completely. all i saw was the rest of bernie struggling to get free. i laughed so hard as tears ran down my face. it was that funny looking. i pulled bernie from scoobs mouth,head completely wet with slobber. bernie had learned real quick to keep his distance from ole "big dog". scooby died only a month later. god bless him, i still miss him so much. a part of me died the day scooby passed away. but it was then that i honestly come to reason that these animals,as well as all animals, are gods pets. he just lends them to us for a very short time, then he sends for them. so people say "oh you own a beagle". i say no, but i do have one as a roommate though. it sets them back, but they wouldnt understand if i explained it anyways.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
What a cute story. It is hard when a pet dies just as when one loses a loved human. I think it would be great if there was a section here where we could talk of those pets which have crossed rainbow bridge. How abou it MD?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
doghouse

i was thinking the same thing. being new, i didnt feel i should suggest it. we get to talk about our current friends here, but a section in honor of our departed is a great idea.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
Rick,

That is a beautiful story actually! You're a good storyteller.

I still have holes in my heart for my past babies, especially my Jake and my Ginger (aka Gingergoose).

You and Scooby were lucky to have each other. I'm sure that having Bernie made your transition easier after loosing Scooby.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
When our pets leave us, there is a little piece of our hearts that go with them. Your story of Scooby brought back memories of my dogs who have since gone to the Rainbow Bridge: Beaujolais, a very smart Great Dane/mutt mix and Shef, a beautiful silver and black shepherd. They were 14 and 15 when they passed away -- long lives for large dogs, especially having lived in the tropics their whole lives. It took me many, many years before I was ready for a new pet and then Maggie came into my life. Do check out this Rainbow Bridge website:
http://www.rainbowsbridge.com/hello.htm
I know it is easier sometimes to talk about our past pets with folks we know (i.e., through this forum) but the Rainbows Bridge website is excellent.

·
Banned
4,444 Posts
Judymaggie, thanks for hat. I had never heard of the site. I would still like to see a special section on this site, for people who want to talk about their late beagles.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
on rainbow bridge.

oh no, im a big softy. ok picture this, im 6ft 5in tall, 300lbs, and bullet proof! yes a big'in.
but when it comes to animals, im a big softy. if i went to that sight, i would be in tears i know.
lol, its best i stay away from such things.
thank you for the compliments on my story telling. im getting better. the beag is a big part of my life, and i love to write as well, though my spelling sucks, so please go easy on me. i look forward to stopping and telling a few storys, and maybe stretching the truth a little to get a few laughs and brighten folks day a bit,if i may.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by ricksconnected:
but when it comes to animals, im a big softy. if i went to that sight, i would be in tears i know.
I couldn't agree more - I cry every time I read rainbow bridge stories (and your original post about Scooby, for that matter). Sad rescue stories too - even the ones with happy endings. The worst is when someone emails me a story like that at work and I end up blubbering in my office - hoping no one walks in just then!

I haven't had the experience of losing a pet but I know I will one day and even the thought of it now makes me choke up. It is something I know that we are ultimately letting ourselves in for by having pets, because that their lifespans are so frighteningly short - but the only way to avoid that heartbreak is never to open up our hearts to a pet and that isn't an option, for me at least (anymore).

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by ricksconnected:
Yep that would be me too ..... I am in tears before I even finish the first story ...

your story of Bernie and Scooby was beautiful but I started to tear up at the end ....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts