Our Beagle World Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we are as soon as we got home, Grandma had a treat for Dixie!

here we are at me Grandmother's house, the little ones are my Second Cousins.

Matthew and Dixie

Matthew going in the Crate showing Dixie how it is done!

So that what it looks like when i am in there!!

Marie and Grandma,

Help she got me Daddy!

Here she is in the Snow during our hunting trip this weekend.

Dixie walking around the camp ground checking things out. I let her off the leash while we are out in the country, she stayed near me and whined when she was left with the others without me! lol

She did really good while we was hunting, she stayed near me and kept quit. She also got a taste for deer blood as she was licking the deer after i had gutted it. Maybe i can train her to track wounded deers??

Hope ya'lls thanksgiving was a good one!

·
Registered
448 Posts
WOW looks like a great time, and the little pup had a good time with everyone !!
You may be able to train her to help hunt deer, of course, if she gets a scent of any other animal in the world she may take off after that one too! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
Great pics!
J
(PS, my son's name is Matthew too!)

·
Registered
324 Posts
Dixie is a beauty ! Reminds me of Shiloh when he was little. Beagles make great deer dogs,but picking up other scents are a possibility and can lead to a long chase and once picking up other scent calling her back my be a problem .

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The chance of her picking up another scent and not coming back to me is the number one reason for me to get a shock collar. That way while we are out in the wood and she is not responding, hopefully the little chirp the collar does will be enough to get her to listen. Just something to take her attention off the scents is all. But so far me calling her and giving her treats when she comes has been working just fine.
But at home we go out on the leash when near a road, or in public places.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by madison069:
The chance of her picking up another scent and not coming back to me is the number one reason for me to get a shock collar. That way while we are out in the wood and she is not responding, hopefully the little chirp the collar does will be enough to get her to listen. Just something to take her attention off the scents is all. But so far me calling her and giving her treats when she comes has been working just fine.
But at home we go out on the leash when near a road, or in public places.
Sounds like you got a plan ! Sounds good to me ! :thumbup: Good luck !

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:Originally posted by littledude:
glad someone thinks it is a good plan, when someone says "Shock Collar" it instantly raise a all hate flag up. I figured if used "Properly" it will be a very effective tool.

Just like a well place slap on the behind did for me as a kid. I tell ya, i straighten up and minded my elders! lol

·
Registered
324 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by littledude:
glad someone thinks it is a good plan, when someone says "Shock Collar" it instantly raise a all hate flag up. I figured if used "Properly" it will be a very effective tool.

Just like a well place slap on the behind did for me as a kid. I tell ya, i straighten up and minded my elders! lol
I think many dog owners when you mention "shock collars" thing about an electrical shock that inflects some pain to animal and that is far from the truth. These type collars have adjustments to make them small as possible enough to get the pets attention and let him know that his chioce is not acceptable. Just a simple training device and is in no way meant to harm.

·
Premium Member
3,715 Posts
She also got a taste for deer blood as she was licking the deer after i had gutted it.
Several years ago my younger son took a nasty fall and gashed his forehead open on the arm of a chair. As his dad and I were rushing to get him off the floor and out to the car, I glanced back to see Shiloh happily licking the puddle of Chris' blood!! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif Let me tell you, that was a pretty un-nerving sight!! :evilgrin:

Dixie is a little doll! Thanks for sharing your pictures.

·
Banned
5,083 Posts
Some of us don't want to hear about gutting animals, etc. Please keep that in mind when you post.

Also, I take offense to this comment
Quote: glad someone thinks it is a good plan,
You will find if you ask around most members on this site will not advocate the use of a shock collar, plain and simple.

The best way to keep Dixie safe is to leash her at all times unless in a secure area. Beagles are born to sniff and roam...it's part of their breed, their instinct, it's in their blood. Trying to "train" (and I use that word loosely here) that out of her by using a shock collar is just not the way to go.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:Originally posted by BeagleBabe:
Some of us don't want to hear about gutting animals, etc. Please keep that in mind when you post.

Also, I take offense to this comment
Quote: glad someone thinks it is a good plan,
You will find if you ask around most members on this site will not advocate the use of a shock collar, plain and simple.

The best way to keep Dixie safe is to leash her at all times unless in a secure area. Beagles are born to sniff and roam...it's part of their breed, their instinct, it's in their blood. Trying to "train" (and I use that word loosely here) that out of her by using a shock collar is just not the way to go.
Well how else should i word it, i was making a point that when i had blood everywhere Dixie started licking it, and i figured she got the scent and taste of deer blood. want me to say Field Dressing a Deer so you can think i am putting a Dress on a deer? :rotflmao:

As for training her NOT to sniff, i ain't wanting to do that, i just want to create a distraction from her sniffing a trail out. It ain't like i am going to put it on the highest setting and watch her jump in the air. :nono5: hopefully the chirp most collar makes will get her to listening so i can call her off a trail.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts