Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome to BW! I'll offer any expertise I have, but most of what I have is regarding rottweilers.

The are currently only two issues we having with our new beagle Calvin. First off, he is an unaltered male. I have always owned girls of any breed. He will pee on anything soft ie: blankets, towels, laundry and beds. Is there a reason for this? He is crate trained and as long as I don't put a blanket in his crate he will not pee in it. I take him out often so....
Second issue is that he has an odd odor (not always bad) to him. It was suggested to me that this is a hound thing, any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Welcome to Beagle World!
As far as the peeing goes I don't have any advice except that you may want to consider getting him neutered. Does Calvin smell like corn chips? That might sound like a silly question but many of us here think our beags smell like corn chips. It's quite nice really. Sometimes I'll call Caesar "Frito". If it's a bad smell, like a fishy smell, then it could be an anal gland problem. I don't have much advice on this either, Caesar just recently developed this problem and I'm taking him to the vet on Saturday to have his anal glands "expressed". Others here can give you better advice on this. Good Luck!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He has an appointment in May to get neutered. I'm hoping this will help with the peeing issue. I'll have to check his smell and see if it reminds me of corn chips. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

·
Premium Member
2,098 Posts
Yep, agree with Caesar's mom....

Fritos or popcorn: normal beagle

Fish: anals! yuk :biglaugh: )

·
Registered
443 Posts
Quote:Originally posted by Calvin and me:

Second issue is that he has an odd odor (not always bad) to him. It was suggested to me that this is a hound thing, any thoughts?
That's that wonderful, musty, hound smell. Strongest on the paws and ears, and sometimes the chest (like Molly). I love it.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Sometimes if you bathe a beagle too much the oils in their coat will start to work over time and get a strong smell. Beagles really only need to be bathed when they roll in something. Otherwise a good brush with a hound glove or comb is all they need.

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
Calvin is marking his territory, time to get him fixed. Murphy did that prior to his neutering, he even marked my wife once! :eyes:

Deb is correct:
Corn chip smell is normal (you learn to love it).

Sometimes you get that "dog" smell. A bath can fix that. But don't give him a bath often. Its bad for his coat.

A foul fish scent mean it time to get his anal glands expressed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts