Our Beagle World Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Blue decided to pull a fast one on us last night at bedtime and swallowed a sock whole. After searching the internet and not being able to find the vet to see if it was okay to give him hydrogen peroxide to induce vomiting, we decided to try the car. Sure enough after a 30 minute drive we finally got Blue to throw the sock up. I have to say the funny part of it was watching Greg in the back seat of the car holding a plastic sack under a puking Beagle saying, good dog, good dog!!! :hi: We have never been so happy to see him get car sick, and now we have proof that his herbal drops are working since this is the first time he has been sick riding in the car since we tried them (not counting last week when he had to get neutered and couldn't have the drops).

Quite the eventful evening and at the end of it, Blue just ran to his kennel and went to sleep. Sure wish mom could have gone to sleep that easily!!

·
Banned
32,140 Posts
I'm really impressed with your quick-thinking! I don't believe the car sickness solution would have come to my mind. Good work. :thumbup: The car ride is something that should have been recorded. :lol2:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As a scrapbooker, you would have thought I would have thought to grab a camera, but a sock in a four month old puppy had mom hyperventilating. I really still don't know how I drove the car!!

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
I am so glad to hear that Blue is okay. We had a friend experience the same thing, but with much different results. Our friends had to pay for an expensive surgery to remove the sock from their labrador. I'm glad Blue has car sickness also...for the sake of both of you.

·
Registered
807 Posts
So glad to hear that Blue is going to be okay. For others in similar circumstances, you can make a dog vomit by giving 1 tablespoon of fresh (bottle not opened more than a yr) 3% hydrogen peroxide per 25 lbs of weight of the dog. The dose can be repeated if no success in 10 minutes...but not to exceed 3 doses total. Sometimes walking the dog around will expedite matters. Also, give a piece of bread before the peroxide is you want to cushion the matter coming up. If the foreign substances swallowed is caustic (like petroleum products, etc) you should not vomit as more damage can be done as it comes up.
Chicken bones or other hard items should be at the owners discretion since an obstruction/tear in the esophagus can occur. If more than a couple hours passes before the substance can be vomited, surgery might be necessary since you could be looking at an obstruction in the digestive tract. In the case of mouse/rat poison, vomiting should be done immediately but the animal still needs to see a vet ASAP to start vitamin K therapy.
At the hospital the funniest thing I have experienced was a chihuahua puppy owner who brought his dog in because he ate "something he wasn't supposed to". Further questioning brought out the pup had eaten a tampon. Luckily the owner brought him in quickly and all went well! Hopefully none of us will need the peroxide remedy but I keep a bottle handy just in case. It is amazing what dogs can wolf down in the blink of an eye!! Julie

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
"NO SOCK FOR YOU" /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm still wondering if it was our payback for getting him neutered. Today he ripped his padded collar to pieces in his kennel. The box said indestructible. Yeah, I don't think they tried it on a Beagle!!! ;-) Guess we were fortunate, but I think we are going to have to go back to this look tonight.......

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
OMG that picture is hilarious !!!!!

:rotflmao:

·
Registered
667 Posts
First, OMG that pic is way too funny!!! I LOVE it!!

Second, you are SO lucky...we forget that dogs can choke so easily and die, Im so happy things are ok...I was holding my breath as you were telling the story.

We have a number for a "911" pet ambulance here and a place for a Pet ER...I post it on the fridge b/c I know I would be too freaked out if somthing happened I wouldnt be able to turn on the computer to look anything up

Glad all is well

Manda

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.